Borderline / attention deficit disorder - does anyone know help?

heiri007

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here.  Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental health problem - did you mean that, or did you mean that someone has 'borderline Attention Deficit Disorder' ie, mild AD/HD?

There's not a lot of help available for AD/HD in Thailand, but I go to Sritanya Hospital in Nonthaburi for meds for my own AD/HD.  I have known I have it since 1992 so I don't need diagnosing. 

Sritanya is a Government mental health hospital and is therefore cheap, but not many staff speak English, although the doctors do.  If you went, it would be best to take a Thai with you to get you registered and explain what you want.  They are quite helpful but the system can be overwhelming and they don't explain things too well.

However, the doctor was fine and prescribed meds for me and then we had a follow up 2 weeks ago and she changed my meds.  First I was on 36 mgs Concerta but due to cost she prescribed 40 mgs Ritalin daily, but I have found 50 mgs works better.

At first I went to Ramathibodi (a big hospital not far from Victory Monument), in February but the nearest appointment they could give me was 14th May!  

There is a private clinic in Nonthaburi, (Dr Wichian clinic, tucked down a small soi near the market and only part time) run by one of the Sritanya doctors but he only prescribes Ritalin. 

And be aware that there are only 3 meds available for AD/HD in Thailand - Concerta (extended release methylphenidate and a whopping 3,600 baht for 30 tablets!), Ritalin at a more manageable 900 baht a month and Strattera (atomoxetine) but I don't know the cost of that.  I hope to combine that with Ritalin at my next visit. 

There are absolutely NO amphetamine-based medications allowed in Thailand, not even in hospitals, so there's no Dexedrine, Adderall or Vyvanse available whatsoever.  That's a shame because the most effective for me was Dexedrine.

You can try other hospitals., and probably private ones are best, but be prepared to spend big money.  I have seen a couple of private clinics advertised, but they seem to be run by psychologists and I would advise you see a proper medical doctor first, because unless you have been diagnosed already you will need a full examination, history taken etc etc.

A couple of questions - have you already been diagnosed with AD/HD?  If so, what type - predominantly inattentive, predominantly hyperactive, or combined type?  If so, where were you diagnosed - what country, in a hospital or clinic etc?

Also, your nationality and age, command of Thai and English, experience of AD/HD?

If you prefer, direct message me.  I am pretty knowledgeable - I discovered I had AD/HD in January 1992, and was the first diagnosed adult in the UK in October 1992 although I had to go to the US for the testing and diagnosis. 

I started the first UK registered charity for AD/HD in January 1993 and we quickly grew to over 2,000 members in the first year.

Good luck.  If I find out more, I will post here again.

I did do a quick Google search which you can see here  https://tinyurl.com/cvncfz42

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Interesting link.  I was unaware of this place.  Is it private or Government?  Looks private though.  

EDIT - I saw the 'About' link *after I posted that!  ????

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Interesting link.  I was unaware of this place.  Is it private or Government?  Looks private though.  

EDIT - I saw the 'About' link *after I posted that!  ????

it is private. Theo nly private all psych hospital in Thailand. Very good quality.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

it is private. Theo nly private all psych hospital in Thailand. Very good quality.

Yes, as I saw too late in the 'About' link.  At least there's somewhere else.

However, it's highly unlikely they will be able to prescribe anything other than Concerta (3,630 baht at a Government hospital for 30 tablets, so probably a lot more there), Ritalin or Strattera.  Not exactly a large armoury of meds available in Thailand compared to Western countries, especially the US.

Psychological interventions just aren't going to work effectively without decent meds to straighten out the brain chemistry first.  

Edited by Mister Fixit

If it is just a question of medication there are less expensive places to go. But what Manarom  can offer is detailed assessment/diagnosis, not so easy to find and i have the impression OP may need this