Will this nonsense ever end? In addition to the ASQ quarantine period being pushed back to 14 days, it has been announced there will now be 3 Covid tests in quarantine, increasing the price by 3 to 4,000 baht. You cant make this nonsense up.

• Haha 1

Just read this on Richard Barrow plus no cleaning, no laundry, no clean bed sheets for 14 nights and you are not allowed out of your room, so it's a two week prison sentence for a tourist.

There is no way I'll be visiting Thailand until this madness ends other places are easier to get into with just a negative PCR test. Then once you get out of ASQ it's masks in the open air and nothing open with further restrictions always possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Just read this on Richard Barrow plus no cleaning, no laundry, no clean bed sheets for 14 nights and you are not allowed out of your room, so it's a two week prison sentence for a tourist.

There is no way I'll be visiting Thailand until this madness ends other places are easier to get into with just a negative PCR test. Then once you get out of ASQ it's masks in the open air and nothing open with further restrictions always possible.

madness. So in the space of 14 days people have to do 4 PCR tests. Crazy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 2:27 PM, tribalfusion001 said:

This is a choice we all have, don't like it don't come.

A negative RT-PCR test is redundant if you've been out in public. A negative RT-PCR test with a vaccination certificate i'd imagine will be the way forward.

A valid and negative RT-PCR test i'd imagine will be a requirement to travel for a long time to come.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

recently decided not to return to Thailand to live due to the new Quarantine rules, instead will move back to the UK from Germany.

Even if it changes again, we have a young daughter and as she cannot be vaccinated we will have to stay longer in quarantine, so what is the point. The rules are not helping people with children (under the legal age to have the vaccination), the rest of the family could all be vaccinated and then due to the youngest child being unvaccinated everyone has a longer stay in quarantine, I think most Europeans are starting to look at other destinations where the restrictions will not prevent them enjoying a holiday as a family with some amount of freedom

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Today is my last day and with that being said I have completed 6 COVID tests from May 5 through today. I am waiting on my final results for the last one but so far all have been negative. I will say although I made it though the quarantine without issues I would never subject myself to this again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I already had a flight and an ASQ hotel booked, but have cancelled yesterday. This very strict quarantine and the actual Covid situation for me is a killjoy.

Had a quarantine already 3 months ago, but the conditions have been a little bit more relaxed. 

I doubt, that this kind of strict quarantine is really necessary. For me it is absolutely overdone. Its purpose might be to distract the public from failures of the government. 

What a pity! I am out for now.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Arndt777 said:

I already had a flight and an ASQ hotel booked, but have cancelled yesterday. This very strict quarantine and the actual Covid situation for me is a killjoy.

Had a quarantine already 3 months ago, but the conditions have been a little bit more relaxed. 

I doubt, that this kind of strict quarantine is really necessary. For me it is absolutely overdone. Its purpose might be to distract the public from failures of the government. 

What a pity! I am out for now.

If people are not vaccinated the strict quarantine is 100% necessary, there's no doubt about it.

On 5/28/2021 at 3:52 AM, Arndt777 said:

I am vaccinated already!

so what, if 97% effective that's still enough people to slip through the gaps and spread CV-19, why take the risk?

We will look back at Pre COVID with a view of the wonderful freedom we had, or how dangerous it was.

Can you imagine traveling to another country and then coming back without any form of health check, arguably traveling without a health check is putting your family at risk.

Did we ever consider the consequences of this Pre COVID, or did we simply not care.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:56 AM, bolt said:

We will look back at Pre COVID with a view of the wonderful freedom we had, or how dangerous it was.

Can you imagine traveling to another country and then coming back without any form of health check, arguably traveling without a health check is putting your family at risk.

Did we ever consider the consequences of this Pre COVID, or did we simply not care.

We didn't care.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:10 PM, jimn said:

Will this nonsense ever end? In addition to the ASQ quarantine period being pushed back to 14 days, it has been announced there will now be 3 Covid tests in quarantine, increasing the price by 3 to 4,000 baht. You cant make this nonsense up.

Not all, but some ASQ hotels have insisted on a Covid-19 RT PCR test on the day of arrival if your ‘Pre-flight' Covid-19 RT PCR was older than 72 hrs.....

I was stung with this last year. However, on another return visit a couple of months ago my RT PCR test was with 72 hrs of arrival at the ASQ hotel, two RT PCR tests were required during the 10* day quarantine (April)

(*quarantine was 10 days for a brief period in April).

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not all, but some ASQ hotels have insisted on a Covid-19 RT PCR test on the day of arrival if your ‘Pre-flight' Covid-19 RT PCR was older than 72 hrs.....

I was stung with this last year. However, on another return visit a couple of months ago my RT PCR test was with 72 hrs of arrival at the ASQ hotel, two RT PCR tests were required during the 10* day quarantine (April)

(*quarantine was 10 days for a brief period in April).

When your 72 hours had elapsed, where was the test taken, at the airport or at the hotel?

How long for the results?

Were you treated any different to the other guests checking in?

14 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

When your 72 hours had elapsed, where was the test taken, at the airport or at the hotel?

How long for the results?

Were you treated any different to the other guests checking in?

Treated no differently at the airport. 

Had to take a Covid-19 RT PCR test upon arrival at ASQ, then taken to room.

Result the following day. 

Then had to take the planned Covid-19 RT PCR test on day 6 & day 12.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thx

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Was that extra test on your account or included in the ASQ hotel Rate quoted for the duration of you stay?

Was this MOPH requirement or the hotels requirement?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Was that extra test on your account or included in the ASQ hotel Rate quoted for the duration of you stay?

Was this MOPH requirement or the hotels requirement?

I had to pay 5950 baht - back in July 2020) as it was not included in the ASQ cost. 

I protested, but was also shown a document I’d signed when booking which stated I must have a covid-19 within 72 hrs of arrival. 
I just assumed they were forwarding the CoE requirements.

As far as I’m aware it was not an MOPH requirement.

Each ASQ were applying their own additional policies… pi$$ed me off but I long ago learned to fight the battles I can win. 

Edited by richard_smith237
1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I had to pay 5950 baht - back in July 2020) as it was not included in the ASQ cost. 
I protested, but was also shown a document I’d signed when booking which stated I must have a covid-19 within 72 hrs of arrival. 
I just assumed they were forwarding the CoE requirements.

Each ASQ we’re applying their own additional policies… pi$$ed me off but I long ago learned to fight the battles I can win. 

Just love the way the hotels make their own rules and then proceed to gouge you with the cost of an extra test.

As you say no good arguing with them. TiT

I don't want to do three tests at my expense due to the cost. The bigger issue is that pcr tests have a false positive rate of 1/200. So, (even if you think there is no chance of the lab mishandling the sample and producing a false postive), that means that the normal false hit-rate for three tests would be 1/67. So, those are your odds (plus the wildcard of lab mishandling) of your not being actually infected, starting quarantine, then bouncing into a 14-day hospital stay. 

Edited by JCP108
8 hours ago, JCP108 said:

I don't want to do three tests at my expense due to the cost. The bigger issue is that pcr tests have a false positive rate of 1/200. So, (even if you think there is no chance of the lab mishandling the sample and producing a false postive), that means that the normal false hit-rate for three tests would be 1/67. So, those are your odds (plus the wildcard of lab mishandling) of your not being actually infected, starting quarantine, then bouncing into a 14-day hospital stay. 

If this is what you think you have to accept that you won't be travelling for a long time.

Well we are lucky. Look what a poor German has to endure... when he arrived in Shanghai.

(article from the famous New York Times... so it's very serious... so they say 😉 )

He told The New York Times nurses took his blood twice a day and performed six throat swabs, four nasal swabs and two anal swabs daily in a room that had no towels, no toilet paper and no television, and the bed was a steel plate with a thin mat.

Source : https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-coronavirus-china-hit-by-devastating-outbreak-in-guangzhou/NHST2BLG4RLZUFJRBKLYTVFWMY/

The nonsense... is just starting. 😉

On 5/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

This is a choice we all have, don't like it don't come.

A negative RT-PCR test is redundant if you've been out in public. A negative RT-PCR test with a vaccination certificate i'd imagine will be the way forward.

A valid and negative RT-PCR test i'd imagine will be a requirement to travel for a long time to come.

Yes...'dont like it don't come'...indeed...that is what will happen....hardly anyone will come. 

On 6/11/2021 at 10:33 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

If this is what you think you have to accept that you won't be travelling for a long time.

I'm in a bind. I moved to Thailand permanently pre-Covid. Was there most of the pandemic but had to travel back to the U.S. for some urgent family issues that needed direct attention. Wife is in Thailand and (thanks to Trump tanking the immigration system) could be another year before she gets her visa to come to the U.S. with me. So, I want to get back into Thailand to be with the wife, weather, beaches, and food I love. However, I own a business in the U.S. which is right now needing daily attention. If I come to Thailand, end up getting a positive PCR test during quaranting and end up in a hospital, I can't have my daily zoom calls w my people at my business and things could go a-- up in a second and cost me many thousands of dollars. I'm willing to put up with the quarantine. I am vaccinated but also willing to put up with the PCR tests. But, every additional test they add during quaranting makes it more and more likely one would get a false positive and then spend two weeks in the hospital (something I would also put up with if being off the grid while sitting in the hospital bed for two weeks didn't threaten to cost me tens of thousands of dollars in business complications to sort out later). 

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

I'm in a bind. I moved to Thailand permanently pre-Covid. Was there most of the pandemic but had to travel back to the U.S. for some urgent family issues that needed direct attention. Wife is in Thailand and (thanks to Trump tanking the immigration system) could be another year before she gets her visa to come to the U.S. with me. So, I want to get back into Thailand to be with the wife, weather, beaches, and food I love. However, I own a business in the U.S. which is right now needing daily attention. If I come to Thailand, end up getting a positive PCR test during quaranting and end up in a hospital, I can't have my daily zoom calls w my people at my business and things could go a-- up in a second and cost me many thousands of dollars. I'm willing to put up with the quarantine. I am vaccinated but also willing to put up with the PCR tests. But, every additional test they add during quaranting makes it more and more likely one would get a false positive and then spend two weeks in the hospital (something I would also put up with if being off the grid while sitting in the hospital bed for two weeks didn't threaten to cost me tens of thousands of dollars in business complications to sort out later). 

I've had 23 tests to date, no false positives.

19 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So maybe these false negatives are not as common as you think?

But if you're so worried about it then yes, don't travel - up to you...

I'm not worried about false negatives. I'm concerned about false positives. Statistically, 1/200 PCR tests give a false positive (see below which quotes a study with over 1,700 subjects which might be more valid than your sample of one [yourself with 27 tests]). As I explained before, it's not so simple as not traveling comes with a cost to me. Traveling and possibly ending up in the hospital could have a very big cost to me as well. My posts are complaints about, in my opinion, excessive testing and testing which is not fully warranted for vaccinated travelers going to a place where supposedly most of the people are also vaccinated. If it were one PCR test, it would be much better odds that I could travel and avoid undue hassles and costs. 

It's easy to be dismissive and just say, "don't like it, don't come." But, I'm certainly not the only person with personal pressures and/or preferences as a result of poorly thought out policies. If Thailand wants to jump-start their tourist sector, they will have to be more satisfying to people by appropriately reducing those barriers. Three PCR tests during "quarantine" aren't needed and will absolutely reduce the numbers of people coming. It also means that on average out of every 7,000 travelers getting 3 PCR tests, 100 will get false positives and end up with an unnecessary 14-day hospital stay. I imagine some of those people will post about that experience on public forums and social media and that could also provide discouragement for people to travel. Adding extra tests are not just a cost to each individual (who might get a false positive), but also to the government who doesn't gain a lot by adding more tests but who might end up discouraging travel. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a3.htm

Edited by JCP108
1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

I'm not worried about false negatives. I'm concerned about false positives. Statistically, 1/200 PCR tests give a false positive (see below which quotes a study with over 1,700 subjects which might be more valid than your sample of one [yourself with 27 tests]). As I explained before, it's not so simple as not traveling comes with a cost to me. Traveling and possibly ending up in the hospital could have a very big cost to me as well. My posts are complaints about, in my opinion, excessive testing and testing which is not fully warranted for vaccinated travelers going to a place where supposedly most of the people are also vaccinated. If it were one PCR test, it would be much better odds that I could travel and avoid undue hassles and costs. 

It's easy to be dismissive and just say, "don't like it, don't come." But, I'm certainly not the only person with personal pressures and/or preferences as a result of poorly thought out policies. If Thailand wants to jump-start their tourist sector, they will have to be more satisfying to people by appropriately reducing those barriers. Three PCR tests during "quarantine" aren't needed and will absolutely reduce the numbers of people coming. It also means that on average out of every 7,000 travelers getting 3 PCR tests, 100 will get false positives and end up with an unnecessary 14-day hospital stay. I imagine some of those people will post about that experience on public forums and social media and that could also provide discouragement for people to travel. Adding extra tests are not just a cost to each individual (who might get a false positive), but also to the government who doesn't gain a lot by adding more tests but who might end up discouraging travel. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a3.htm

Mate, i'm not interested in your statistics, travel or not - the decision is yours, not mine.