Jump to content

1,219 more prison inmates in Thailand found infected with COVID-19 on Saturday


Recommended Posts

CE364244-B265-4D1B-8A9B-CFAE5921164B.jpeg

 

Thailand’s Corrections Department reported an additional 1,219 new COVID-19 cases among inmates and detainees in three prisons today (Saturday), all of which were found through pro-active screening.

 

According to the report, 621 cases were found at Thon Buri Remand Prison, 510 cases at Klong Prem Central Prison and 88 at Bangkok Remand Prison. Most of the infected are asymptomatic or have only mild symptoms. Six were sent to hospitals outside the prison for treatment.

 

The Corrections Department, however, said that it has tightened up monitoring of the COVID-19 situation in prisons by ensuring prison officials are subjected to screening every 14 days, and barred from visiting high-risk areas, and that newly-arrived prisoners, detainees who have to attend court or who have to be sent to hospitals are isolated for 21 days instead of 14, and subject to screening twice, before they are sent back to the cells.

 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/1219-more-prison-inmates-in-thailand-found-infected-with-covid-19-today/

 

Logo-top-.png
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many more prisons to be tested and checked it appears.

One every other day it looks like. So by the time they reach prison number 143 they would have allowed plenty of time for it to spread unfortunately.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many more prisons to be tested and checked it appears.

More prisons to be checked sure throughout Thailand, will we hear about it? Who knows, past experience and evidence tells us numbers can easily be hidden only to pop up when exposed by high profile ex inmates.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd think that the people in-charge of managing this Covid would instantly figure out and take into account that this virus is highly contentious in close quarters such as prisons, dormitories and army camps, you'd think, but apparently it didn't dawn on them... 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1393745415296618497

 

It’s strange that there is no mention today of the 1,219 new infections found in three prisons. The press release from the Department of Corrections was released yesterday at 12:00pm and so should have been added to the national tally. The deadline for that is midnight.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Excel said:

Assuming that the rest of the high profile inmates don't succumb to Covid first - perhaps that is their game plan ?

Very few, if any, fatalities among the prison population, and most infections are asymptomatic.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pegman said:

If a high number of infected inmates are asymptomatic one wonders how many in the general population are the same.

The prison population is younger than the general population. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many more prisons to be tested and checked it appears.

And still there are no reports of Prison Personnel being Infected.

All those Infections, all those people in close contact, and yet not a single Guard, Admin , Cook, Cleaner Etc infected.

Mind boggling

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sathornlover said:

How does it fit in with the 2302 new cases reported in Thailand today?

 

the 1219 cases have been known since yesterday …

Wait for Mondays report... the weekend is always slow.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And still there are no reports of Prison Personnel being Infected.

All those Infections, all those people in close contact, and yet not a single Guard, Admin , Cook, Cleaner Etc infected.

Mind boggling

Or Visitor, Friend of Guards or Family!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

No visitors,  family or friends allowed to visit.

 

If only they could keep the guards out as well...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Op was on 3 jails reporting out of 143, so tell me, regarding all of the jails, some more since you believe the OP answered the question I asked about the Post I responded to. 

 

I stated this:

"I know for a fact that there are many field hospitals setup inside the prisons but I have never observed a report on the severity of the cases like we do for those from outside of the prisons.  How many are serious, how many are possibly on ventilators, and how many more are PUI."

 

So answer the Post I made if you have the answers instead of saying its a doomsday post, and where is there a denial of the way Thailand has responded to the crisis.  Please do not link my posts when you only want to use it to suit your agenda without answering the questions it asks.  Have a good day.


Are you suggesting Covid is in 143 prisons? You "know for a fact there are many field hospitals setup inside the prisons", like how many?  You go around the country counting them? There is not a lot of Covid outside of greater Bangkok and Prachuap Khiri Khan these days.

The article talked about two prisons and of the 621 cases, "six were sent to hospitals outside the prison for treatment." What don't you understand?

I don't have a clue how much Covid there is in the prisons and doubt you do either, even with your "fact". I do know Covid is pretty much under control (under 20 cases last 24 hours) in most of the provinces now - is concentrated around Bangkok and adjacent provinces plus PKK (pineapple factory cluster). Or are you suggesting the Health data is fake? https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/sunday-covid-update-2302-new-infections-and-24-deaths-provinces

See so much disparaging innuendo from much the same tribe, day after day, and guess you guys get your jollies with it. Me, I love the place even with it's faults, and managing Covid is not one of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Donga said:


Are you suggesting Covid is in 143 prisons? You "know for a fact there are many field hospitals setup inside the prisons", like how many?  You go around the country counting them? There is not a lot of Covid outside of greater Bangkok and Prachuap Khiri Khan these days.

The article talked about two prisons and of the 621 cases, "six were sent to hospitals outside the prison for treatment." What don't you understand?

I don't have a clue how much Covid there is in the prisons and doubt you do either, even with your "fact". I do know Covid is pretty much under control (under 20 cases last 24 hours) in most of the provinces now - is concentrated around Bangkok and adjacent provinces plus PKK (pineapple factory cluster). Or are you suggesting the Health data is fake? https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/sunday-covid-update-2302-new-infections-and-24-deaths-provinces

See so much disparaging innuendo from much the same tribe, day after day, and guess you guys get your jollies with it. Me, I love the place even with it's faults, and managing Covid is not one of them.

Take a look before you heap scorn when you don't have all the facts.

 

Inmates in #Thailand’s notoriously overcrowded prisons are being hit hard by a #COVID19 outbreak that has seen at least 5,664 reported infections in just four prisons. With an estimated 330,000 inmates in 143 prisons, the true number could be much higher. No news about deaths.

 

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1393891008954322945

 

image.png.5435e2b130d99c5ec15130b729dbaab6.png

Edited by ThailandRyan
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Take a look before you heap scorn when you don't have all the facts.

 

Inmates in #Thailand’s notoriously overcrowded prisons are being hit hard by a #COVID19 outbreak that has seen at least 5,664 reported infections in just four prisons. With an estimated 330,000 inmates in 143 prisons, the true number could be much higher. No news about deaths.

 

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1393891008954322945

 


Yep, could be much higher. He's sure right about that. Is that a fact in your book?

How much higher? How many prisons are there outside greater Bangkok? Do you think the authorities might be focusing on these most likely ones first?

Let's see how this plays out. 5,664 now - how many cases do you think will end up in the 143 prisons? And how would this place Thailand with total cases per mill and deaths per mill.. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Edited by Donga
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Donga said:


Yep, could be much higher. He's sure right about that. Is that a fact in your book?

How much higher? How many prisons are there outside greater Bangkok? Do you think the authorities might be focusing on these most likely ones first?

Let's see how this plays out. 5,664 now - how many cases do you think will end up in the 143 prisons? And how would this place Thailand with total cases per mill and deaths per mill.. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Lots of questions there that are obviously challenging your logic, you could try and make some predictions yourself first

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...