Jump to content

Thai honorary consulates to stop issuing visas, COE and notarizing documents on 27 May


Recommended Posts

  • ubonjoe changed the title to Thai honorary consulates to stop issuing visas, COE and notarizing documents on 27 May
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Denim said:

I get the feeling that in future people just wont bother applying for a visa from any embassy. Just fly in on a 30 day exempt then try to extend in country.

Not all courtiers qualify for a visa exempt entry or a 15 day visa or arrival (cancelled until further notice).

Most countries do not get them. See: Visa-Exemption-Scheme-7-Dec.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not all courtiers qualify for a visa exempt entry or a 15 day visa or arrival.

Most countries do not get them.

 

Yes , which will mean that some people , those not trying to connect with a Thai family and who are just seeking a long tropical vacation , might start looking at more user friendly destinations .

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes , which will mean that some people , those not trying to connect with a Thai family and who are just seeking a long tropical vacation , might start looking at more user friendly destinations .

The can still apply for single entry tourist visas. Before the pandemic it was the same except for the 15 day visa on arrival countries who now have to apply for a tourist visa to enter the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This notice on Cardiff Consulate web site -

*****PLEASE NOTE: CONSULATES WILL FULLY CLOSE FROM 27TH MAY 2021, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ISSUE A VISA AFTER 6PM THAT DAY. FROM THAT DATE ALL VISAS MUST BE APPLIED FOR ONLINE BY VISTING - WWW.THAIVISA.GO.TH*****

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

This notice on Cardiff Consulate web site -

*****PLEASE NOTE: CONSULATES WILL FULLY CLOSE FROM 27TH MAY 2021, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ISSUE A VISA AFTER 6PM THAT DAY. FROM THAT DATE ALL VISAS MUST BE APPLIED FOR ONLINE BY VISTING - WWW.THAIVISA.GO.TH*****

 

OK, so not only Honorary Consulates as UJ suggest, it's applicable to official Consulates also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The can still apply for single entry tourist visas. Before the pandemic it was the same except for the 15 day visa on arrival countries who now have to apply for a tourist visa to enter the country.

Mr Ubon...would I be able to fly in on the "proposed" July 1 sandbox-Phuket thing and get a VOA as usual--or have to get an actual visa this time around?

 

Going on the theory that the July 1 plan actually moves forward...being a American--fully vaccinated---only need Ins policy?  No ASQ? as the plan states?

 

Saw nothing stating this on DC Embassy site

 

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Cardiff is a honorary consulate as well as all others in the UK. There is no official consulate in the UK.

At the bottom of this page is a list of the official Thai consulates worldwide. https://www.thaiembassy.org/

 

No mention of 'honorary' status here UJ, or indeed the others in the UK:

 

http://www.thaiconsulatewales.org.uk/index.htm

 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/81958-royal-thai-consulates-in-the-uk-and-ireland?menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd0007339

Edited by pagallim
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You should of stated honorary Thai consulates (topic title edited). The official Thai consulates are still able to everything an embassy can do.

Edit: As far as I know this only happening in Australia.

No mention of the honorary consulate permanently not being able to issue visas in the US.

See: https://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Thank you. I would have mentioned if I knew.

Specific consulates I was referring to are in EU. Apparently the law governing this was passed a year back and now comes into effect.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

This notice on Cardiff Consulate web site -

*****PLEASE NOTE: CONSULATES WILL FULLY CLOSE FROM 27TH MAY 2021, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ISSUE A VISA AFTER 6PM THAT DAY. FROM THAT DATE ALL VISAS MUST BE APPLIED FOR ONLINE BY VISTING - WWW.THAIVISA.GO.TH*****

That URL doesn't exist - yet, at least.........

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked the website of a German honorary consulate, they say they no longer issue visas, and people have to apply at either the Thai embassy or the Thai consulate-general.

This seems to confirm what ubonjoe says: This change only applies to honorary consulates, and regular consulates can still issue visas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I just checked the website of a German honorary consulate, they say they no longer issue visas, and people have to apply at either the Thai embassy or the Thai consulate-general.

There are 2 official Thai consulates in Germany located in Frankfurt and Munich.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You should of stated honorary Thai consulates (topic title edited). The official Thai consulates are still able to everything an embassy can do.

Edit: As far as I know this only happening in Australia.

No mention of the honorary consulate permanently not being able to issue visas in the US.

See: https://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Ubonjoe, I checked thru the link you posted for the Thai Consulate in Vancouver, Canada, and they stated that they will stop issuing Visa after May 27th.

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/consular-services/

1324349422_VancouverThaiConsulate.JPG.9157a141d7fa43dc935b4affd4a67c01.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, dsj said:

Ubonjoe, I checked thru the link you posted for the Thai Consulate in Vancouver, Canada, and they stated that they will stop issuing Visa after May 27th.

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/consular-services/

What you say is correct. But I looked at the Canadian Thai embassy website, and noticed that they say: People must use the evisa system. So in Canada an application directly at the embassy will be no longer possible.

 

I think we actually have two different scenarios:

- Some countries will introduce the evisa system, in these countries people have to apply on the evisa website, direct applications at embassies or consulates are no longer possible.

- In countries which don't introduce the evisa system (yet) they no longer offer visas through honorary consulates, but only through Thai embassies or official consulates.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dsj said:

Ubonjoe, I checked thru the link you posted for the Thai Consulate in Vancouver, Canada, and they stated that they will stop issuing Visa after May 27th.

The will stop accepting visa application after that day but will still issue the visa after you apply online. The only change is that you have to submit the application online after paying the fee.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Denim said:

 

Yes , which will mean that some people , those not trying to connect with a Thai family and who are just seeking a long tropical vacation , might start looking at more user friendly destinations .

Huh? Nothing has changed, it was the same prior to COVID regarding countries allowed visa-exempt entry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So the bureaucracy gets bigger - again. If not at your honorary consulate in your own city, then it is a mail story to the Embassy. 

These days, Embassies can and sometimes do insist in personal appearance of the applicant - good luck to Thailand's tourism ....... 

Ah, and the TAT boys might be interested to know, that the traveller has the choice and might travel elsewhere, where there is less bureaucracy - me thinks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Huh? Nothing has changed, it was the same prior to COVID regarding countries allowed visa-exempt entry.

 

I was referring to the fact that whereas before you could apply for your visa by post , ( single A4 application form and 2 photos )  you now have to do it online and many people have had a problem with this since consulates can no longer help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Closed message on the Hull website too.  Very sad, they performed a good service for many years, always courteous and very helpful.  Now if you have a question its luck of the draw whether you get one of the stuck up cows in London or one of the seemingly few decent staff there.

 

The consulate in Hull provided a service for 99 years and was the first in the UK.  Alan Taylor had been the Consul since 1980.  It was clear well before Covid that something was afoot, the staff all seemed to have disappeared - on my last couple of visits Mr Taylor was there alone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The writing is on the wall for those of us that obtain our visas in places like Ho Chi Minh.  When they're gone there will be real problems for some.

 

As I said a couple of years ago, what do offshore workers and similar do when all these consulates/embassies go over to e-visa?  According to the e-visa rules, you have to either be a citizen of the country you are applying from or have legal residence there.  To repeat the scenario of a friend who 'lives' in Thailand but works in Iraq with no legal residence (and no embassy for that matter) - according to the Thai Embassy in London, each time he has leave, he will have to fly from Iraq to London, obtain a single entry 90 day non o and then fly back over to Thailand.  12 month multis are another victim of the e-visa system.

 

Of course for a while he'll be able to enter visa exempt but both he and I have been stopped and told that visiting a Thai wife is not classed as tourism - get a non o, which we did.  His leave and rotation make it impossible for him to stay in Thailand to get a 12 month extension of stay. So, as far as I can see, when e-visa comes in everywhere, he either flies to London or he's screwed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...