I still call Australia home

15 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

The usual Aussie obsession with buying real estate, the measure of wealth & well-being.

Don't forget, and having huge mortgages in today's environment.

I wonder what would happen if they pulled the plug on negative gearing, hmmm, that wouldn't happen because it fuels the market for investors, but what else could they do that would dampen it.......we will see in the future, maybe a sharp rise in interest rates due to a catastrophic even will do what it will do, ad the government will say it was a natural event that crashed the market ?

• Sad 2

I did the reverse and am in Oz getting paid in baht from a Bangkok condo. zero tax and great currency conversion on the weaker dollar. 

On the gold coast here both rent and property prices are through the roof as southerners flock here. 

It's impossible to find a condo to rent without 20 applicants and many offering over and above asking prices 

There is zero covid here and life is completely normal like pre covid. 

It's completely understandable why ozzies are  desperate to come home and away from the chaos of the rest of the world. I need to get back to Thailand and have a government exemption but not particularly looking forward to it 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

I did the reverse and am in Oz getting paid in baht from a Bangkok condo. zero tax and great currency conversion on the weaker dollar. 

On the gold coast here both rent and property prices are through the roof as southerners flock here. 

It's impossible to find a condo to rent without 20 applicants and many offering over and above asking prices 

It's completely understandable why ozzies are  desperate to come home and away from the chaos of the rest of the world. I need to get back to Thailand and have a government exemption but not particularly looking forward to it 

With the dollar nudging 24 baht, its not exactly a weaker dollar.

You would be 20% down from a year ago (20 baht)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

With the dollar nudging 24 baht, its not exactly a weaker dollar.

You would be 20% down from a year ago (20 baht)

Its still weak against the Thai baht and way down from its high above the greenback. Maybe at 26 to 27 baht will be a better average but let's see it tends to fluctuate as lot 

2 hours ago, charliechoc said:

Speak for yourself there pal. You couldnt pay me to live in that nanny state. Odd ball people and culture. Best thing was leaving that place

I should have said excluding expats living near a jungle in Thailand. ????

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Anyone buying property in Australia from a non-resident point of view is nuts.

The taxes, e.g. land taxes and Capital Gains Taxes are unbelievably high, so unless they have a cool 5 million and qualify to become citizens, they will find out the hard way.

On 1 July 2019 the Australian government even hit it's own expats who are non residents because of the way they make up their laws, e.g. if you are an Australian Citizen and you reside overseas and are a non resident for tax purposes and own a property in Australia, let's say it's your principal place of residence, they will make you pay Capital Gains Tax all the way back to when you purchased it, at around 42% tax payable, YES, not when you moved overseas, that is how it used to be prior to 1 July 2019, now it's from the date you purchased it, so it you purchased it in 1980 for say $200,000 and sold it today for $1,000,000 which you can't buy a dogs box for that, they will take 42% of the sale price less the purchase price, e.g. $336,000, how unfair is that, and they don't give a rats a$$ because non residents cannot vote. 

The market is hot, and it's the low interest rates and 1st home buyers trying to get into the market competing with investors to buy which is pushing it up (applies to land/houses) only, as the unit market isn't moving much, that said, watch out for the hard landing when interest rates do eventually go up because the loan sizes are huge, no doubt the government will do what it usually does and manipulate the market so that it doesn't crash, but I think it's time is almost up.

Great post Thank you. Question can you change your status from non-resident (tax) to resident.? Is it a 6 month residency requirement?.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, madmen said:

How are you managing to pay zero tax, are you non resident for tax purposes in Oz ?

If you're tax resident, you should be paying tax on overseas property rental income !

I'm interested because I'm currently looking into buying a Villa in Samui, but have learned that as an Aussie, and resident for tax purposes in Oz, I will be liable to pay tax on the Thai income if I rent out the Samui Villa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kennw said:

Great post Thank you. Question can you change your status from non-resident (tax) to resident.? Is it a 6 month residency requirement?.

Cheers.

Changing back from non-resident to Australian resident would be a little tricky if your not in the country at the time, e.g. returning to Australia, I would imagine establishing residency again could take up to 6 months.

If your talking under Australian tax legislation, non-residency is usually changed by those who are moving away from Australia permanently, if you don't want to change your residency status, then when filing your tax returns, if your earning a crust away from Australia you tick the residency field and will pay tax as a resident of Australia.

Residency is tested and the ATO is the best place to start answering there residency tool which should give you some kind of example, but is not concrete.

Here is the link with the tool to complete as well, as I said, it should provide you with a guide as to what your residency status is or will be: 

https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/Work-out-your-tax-residency/

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, Chill27 said:

How are you managing to pay zero tax, are you non resident for tax purposes in Oz ?

If you're tax resident, you should be paying tax on overseas property rental income !

I'm interested because I'm currently looking into buying a Villa in Samui, but have learned that as an Aussie, and resident for tax purposes in Oz, I will be liable to pay tax on the Thai income if I rent out the Samui Villa.

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/property/residential-rental-properties/Rental-income-from-overseas-property/

7 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Rubbish halve of Australian properties are owned by Chinese get your facts right

It's actually about 10% of real estate. However, if one wants to look at ownership of Australian ASSETS, the major player is America.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I live in OZ and on a state pension I do pay rent and have more money than I ever had in Thailand and still can afford 2 holidays per year the ones who are obsessed with money are Thais take you colored glasses off 

I too lived in australia,albeit for one year,on the government pension and found it difficult to live off it,even with the supplementary benefit and rent reduction.So my experience was different to yours.Here in thailand I can live well even though it is now just the basic pension.So everyone is different...i'm happy you are doing well in OZ.

• Like 1