I still call Australia home

23 hours ago, thasoss said:

I too lived in australia,albeit for one year,on the government pension and found it difficult to live off it,even with the supplementary benefit and rent reduction.So my experience was different to yours.Here in thailand I can live well even though it is now just the basic pension.So everyone is different...i'm happy you are doing well in OZ.

It's not possible to live in Thailand with a high level of health care on a pension. I think that really levels the playing field when comparing costs. Everybody I know on the a pension has no insurance and are using the fingers crossed policy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, madmen said:

It's not possible to live in Thailand with a high level of health care on a pension. I think that really levels the playing field when comparing costs. Everybody I know on the a pension has no insurance and are using the fingers crossed policy. 

You are correct if it is someone on a pension only. With other assets, healthcare is doable in Thailand. I self-insure, because at my age and with pre-existing conditions, no insurer would want me as a customer.

I have a medical check at Bangkok Hospital every six months. It costs me 18,000 baht.

I would get it free in Australia, with top level private health insurance. Even pre-COVID, flights and accommodation would be nearly twice that. With COVID, It's a no-brainer.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You are correct if it is someone on a pension only. With other assets, healthcare is doable in Thailand. I self-insure, because at my age and with pre-existing conditions, no insurer would want me as a customer.

I have a medical check at Bangkok Hospital every six months. It costs me 18,000 baht.

I would get it free in Australia, with top level private health insurance. Even pre-COVID, flights and accommodation would be nearly twice that. With COVID, It's a no-brainer.

Yeah for sure self insure the way to go if you are relatively healthy . I should have done regular medical checks but got slack so when I went to oz last year to go on elective surgery list for a hip replacement they found other stuff going on so had life saving surgery, treatment and countless cat and mri scans, x rays and got the all clear and just got a new hip and ready to go back to Thailand. 

Self insure would have been around 2+ million baht in Thailand 

Lucky I just scrapped through on the under 5 year Medicare rule 

Edited by madmen

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Yeah for sure self insure the way to go if you are relatively healthy . I should have done regular medical checks but got slack so when I went to oz last year to go on elective surgery list for a hip replacement they found other stuff going on so had life saving surgery, treatment and countless cat and mri scans, x rays and got the all clear and just got a new hip and ready to go back to Thailand. 

Self insure would have been around 2+ million baht. 

It also depends on what you settle for in Thailand. Government hospitals are considerably less expensive than the private hospitals, so I'd be shopping around if I was capable. It does amuse me that the Christian private hospitals are among the most expensive.

Nice to know you've made a full recovery, good luck getting out of the prison.

• Like 2