Amazing Thailand Video: Shock absorber mechanic gets tire shock in garage!

webfact

8pmVI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Extraordinary CCTV footage from the north east of Thailand showed the moment a manager and mechanic of a shock absorber garage in Sakon Nakhon got the shock of his life.

Thawatchai Janthaket, 24, was minding his own business sitting and playing a Monday lunchtime game on his phone wearing headphones.

At 19 seconds of the footage comes a huge truck tire that wipes him out.

Helped by his elder brother he manages to get to his feet.

The tire had come loose from a passing ten wheel truck at Num Choke-Up Sakon Nakhon 2 near the entrance to Sakon Village housing estate.

Daily News caught up with Thawatchai who showed them a nasty looking bruise on his left side. 

He said that the police and insurance had been in and a meeting to discuss compensation had been arranged.

He urged people to be aware of their surroundings - like passing traffic - and acknowledged this was a brush with death the like of which he had never experienced. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-27

17 minutes ago, Almer said:

The Wheel has become detached and loose fastenings were not noticed on the drivers walk round first user check, yes i spent 28 years driving heavy vehicles over europe and more than once found loose wheel nuts on a daily walk round, the pretty colourful pointers you see on wheel nuts do have a purpose.

For thai lorry drivers, a daily walk round is to inspect the integrity of things like, wheel fastenings, lights, horn, tyres etc etc.

If any commercial  vehicle operator in Thailand wishes me to show his drivers i would be happy to oblige.

They know  best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Almer said:

inspect the integrity of things like, wheel fastenings, lights, horn, tyres etc etc.

Even my untrained eye can see that those things are not inspected on any sort of basis for a shockingly large percentage of heavy vehicles on Thailand's roads   rear lights especially seem to be ignored,  broken,dim or covered in mud

mega loud exhaust pipes spewing black clouds,  bald tires ,persistent brake failures   but no worries  there are  a few

Michelin men (Bibendum)  multicoloured dazzling front lights and some dashboard amulets to compensate.

1944669204_P_20190120_160823(Large).jpg.f3d44b1e531b917d466c88f33e70da78.jpg

About 55 years ago in the UK I was a passenger in a van driven by a friend of the family. the rear nearside wheel came off (I was too young to know the reason). The first we knew of it was when the wheel undertook us. the driver braked and the van 's nearside rear end finally dropped to the ground and stopped us sharp (no seatbelts in those days). If the truck driver didn't see the wheel come of he could have likely continued his journey without knowing

49 minutes ago, johng said:

Even my untrained eye can see that those things are not inspected on any sort of basis for a shockingly large percentage of heavy vehicles on Thailand's roads   rear lights especially seem to be ignored,  broken,dim or covered in mud

mega loud exhaust pipes spewing black clouds,  bald tires ,persistent brake failures   but no worries  there are  a few

Michelin men (Bibendum)  multicoloured dazzling front lights and some dashboard amulets to compensate.

1944669204_P_20190120_160823(Large).jpg.f3d44b1e531b917d466c88f33e70da78.jpg

So how does the Guy on the right know where he is going? GPS? Radar? Amulet?

Sorry I asked. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

was minding his own business sitting and playing a Monday lunchtime game on his phone wearing headphones.

pretty difficult for him to maintain his situational awareness, when his eyes were glued to his phone...  

4 minutes ago, tifino said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

was minding his own business sitting and playing a Monday lunchtime game on his phone wearing headphones.

pretty difficult for him to maintain his situational awareness, when his eyes were glued to his phone...  

Yep... I’m currently sat in my living room.... I’ve heeded the warning and am ‘maintaining my situational awareness’ just incase an errant lorry tyre smashes through the front window !!!... I’m not sure my reactions are quick enough for that though...  

...I’d instead prefer not to need to worry about these catastrophic event which are ultimately the consequence of carelessness, lack of maintenance etc.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wiggy said:

He is wheely lucky to be alive. 

Indeed.

Some years ago there was an article here about a terrible accident when a girl on a scooter was hit by a flying truck wheel. Dead on the spot.

A mate driving his pickup had an encounter with a flying wheel on the highway. Luckily escaped.

Nothing to add about vehicle safety in this country.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:
2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just shows you have to tread carefully

Thaivisa.....the hubcap of bad puns.

the world couldn't rotate without them...   

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RobU said:

About 55 years ago in the UK I was a passenger in a van driven by a friend of the family. the rear nearside wheel came off (I was too young to know the reason). The first we knew of it was when the wheel undertook us. the driver braked and the van 's nearside rear end finally dropped to the ground and stopped us sharp (no seatbelts in those days). If the truck driver didn't see the wheel come of he could have likely continued his journey without knowing

Not if it was a front ????

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, hotchilli said:

Just shows you have to tread carefully

On 5/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, BostonRob2 said:

Thaivisa.....the hubcap of bad puns.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:21 PM, tifino said:

the world couldn't rotate without them...   

Well yes, but there needs to be a balance...

• Haha 2