Beef Sausages

Lucky Bones

Hi All. TV "Newbie" here, living Thailand near on 9 years, first post today. I guess like many I am finding many questions each day.

First question is where are the beef sausages? Must to have accompany the mashed spud.

Big C (Tai) used to have a container full but that was likely pre C-19.

I see the Britishop. A tad out of the way for me and I don't want a truck-load.

Any other thoughts?

I found frozen beef sausages (can't remember the brand) in Big C on Pattaya Tai, but you have to search the freezers to find them (they are usually in an "end freezer" on the far end of the freezers, furthest from the fresh meat area).

Foodland may have some "beef" sausages in the deli section (though to me they are more "wiener" than sausage). I've seen the base (non-flavoured) frozen sausages in some other stores as well (Makro for example) but usually they don't have a lot, or a lot of selection.

Siamburis has a lot of frozen sausages, though most are the weird "flavoured" varieties it seems. You can get deliveries through expat foods. There is a minimum amount (1,000 baht) requirement for deliveries, but you don't have to spend it all on sausages of course !
https://expatfoodsthailand.com/?s=beef+sausage

(Each of the ones listed in that search goes for about 200 baht it seems, though I didn't look at all of them.)

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah, real popular in Riyadh.

Apparently Muslims are ok to eat pork if they don't know it's pork. I once had a muslim girlfriend in W. Africa and she ate bacon one day unknowing that it came from a pig. She said it was ok 'cos she didn't know, but she couldn't eat it again.

1 hour ago, thoengthaied said:

Apparently Muslims are ok to eat pork if they don't know it's pork. I once had a muslim girlfriend in W. Africa and she ate bacon one day unknowing that it came from a pig. She said it was ok 'cos she didn't know, but she couldn't eat it again.

I believe you are correct... I was in the USA on a training course with a Muslim colleague and caught him munching on a packet of pork scratchings at break time. He said they tasted good when I told him what it was. 

Yeah, went to a restaurant with a friend and his family. He ordered a roast chicken but when it arrived, there were a couple strips of bacon on top of it. He made a show of getting me to remove the bacon for him (as he didn't want to be seen even touching it with utensils) and then he ate the chicken. Including where the bacon had been and the bacon grease had soaked into it.
(Same guy also eats shellfish, drinks alcohol and smokes ganja, which, in a lot of Muslim countries, would be strictly forbidden.)

There is a story about a dinner party of some high level diplomats, including some Arabs. One Arab was seen drinking (champagne) and when asked about it declared it was OK because "Allah would change it to water when it touched his lips".

I know another Muslim here who was raised in Canada and used to eat pork. His justification was that the pigs were "clean" so it was OK. (His idea was that pigs living in sties and floppy around in the mud were "dirty" and couldn't be eaten, but if they were raised in "clean" pens, it was OK).

However, keep in mind that when it comes to sausages, especially those produced in Western countries (like England, Australia, Canada, etc) they HAVE to list the ingredients and they CAN'T lie about it (i.e. by substituting pork for beef) or they'd be shut down in a flash. Many (most) "Western" countries actually have agencies whose job is to test such things to make sure the manufacturer is complying with the regulations and not doing things like spiking the meat content with "other substances" or adding unauthorized chemicals into the mix.

As well, many Western countries are well aware of what "halal" means and wouldn't risk their business by "sneaking" pork into beef products.

If you are buying generic, non-name brand stuff with little or no labelling made in countries that don't have the same laws and standards as most Western countries, then the contents could be almost anything.
Pork.
Dog.
Rat.

But hey. It's all BS anyways. 
What some say they can't eat or drink, others say it's perfectly fine.

• Haha 1