Corrupt Chonburi local govt officials took 80,000 baht bribe to award contract

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

INN reported that the chief of Nong Hong sub-district and his engineering director were arrested for taking bribes to award a building contract. 

So the largest bribe gets the contract. Whether the contractor is actually competent to do the work doesnt matter. 

• Like 1

We should leave the officials alone along with the police. I only had to pay 7000 Baht to the corrupt police last week for getting bashed by  a ladyboy and lady. To say the price has gone down due to Covid and to say I’m amazed is an understatement. Thank you kindly corrupt officials????????????????????????????

• Like 1

I really am shocked by this.  The amount is so small and the occurrence of enforcement so unusual that it makes me wonder what this guy did that led to this.  He really must have stepped on the wrong toes somewhere.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

A lot of people right now sitting back thinking "I could have gotten away with only offering that much ?!?!?".

(Would be a real ROTFLMAO moment if those officials got sued by other contractors who had to pay way more to get a contract !)

Just because you offer it don't mean you get the contract

• Haha 1

Corruption and bribe taking among government officials is the norm in Thailand .What is unusual and very welcome is rarely do the  corrupt officials get named and shamed in this way .Obviously something has gone wrong with the  secret payment  system and  the code of silence.Perhaps someone was paid less than expected down the line.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

when a contractor said the Nong Hong chief wanted 100,000 baht for the issuing of a contract. 

He better not be looking for any future contracts, have a feeling they may be hard to come by for him now. 

• Sad 1

On 6/9/2021 at 1:45 PM, potless said:

So the largest bribe gets the contract. Whether the contractor is actually competent to do the work doesnt matter. 

That's why the storm drains don't work and the roads don't last 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, jack7106 said:

We should leave the officials alone along with the police. I only had to pay 7000 Baht to the corrupt police last week for getting bashed by  a ladyboy and lady. To say the price has gone down due to Covid and to say I’m amazed is an understatement. Thank you kindly corrupt officials????????????????????????????

Seems that you have no clout nor connections. Friend of mine got attacked by ladyboys and the police put the ladyboys in jail for the night and made them pay him 5000 baht.

Why did you have to pay??

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 10:10 AM, jippytum said:

Corruption and bribe taking among government officials is the norm in Thailand .What is unusual and very welcome is rarely do the  corrupt officials get named and shamed in this way .Obviously something has gone wrong with the  secret payment  system and  the code of silence. Perhaps someone was paid less than expected down the line.

Not just government officials. Have you ever tried to deal with the scum in certain condo management offices if you are a contractor who has to do some work in the building? 

For them it's one of the perks of the job. You need to grease the palms if you want no objections and things to run smoothly.