Working group to review plans to allow foreigners in Thailand to buy land and work without work permits

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The names used by BBN were:

• Wealthy Global Citizens
  • Wealthy Pensioners
  • Work From Thailand Professionals (digital nomads)
  • Highly Skilled Professionals

Sick of us lot then ah.

• Like 1

Why would I want to own land here? Risky investment at best. Heavens forbid that they could lower their aspirations and realise that there is an actual lack of remote working visa options in Asia and now is the time to capitalise on that.

• Like 1

Most who meet the high financial bar being set could also go for a much lower bar, capitalize a business for 2M THB, work 3 years and then apply for permanent residency or citizenship. 

• Like 1

Wealthy farangs are welcomed even to come without vaccines won’t be problem if you can pay enough because the virus works under the government and its  very smart and selective so it won’t attack the wealthy ones it only dangerous to the naive and poor ones. 

• Haha 1

They have not got a clue, there is no way they are going to attract rich pensioners. Most expats do not like having 800,000 baht tied up just for their visa. 1 million can be mentioned but in reality it will be a lot less. Mainly the reason being is what I have already quoted. But if they made some of the illegal activities legal, like gambling and the services you normally get in bars then that would certainly be a good start.

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

The plan is to attract a million foreigners with healthy bank balances and pension pots into Thailand where they will generate plunder an estimated one trillion baht for the Thai economy.

And here I thought they didn't like us? Healthy bank balances, what does that mean? Bank balances without covid? What happen to Tourism did you give up on that one?

• Like 1

Thai workers will be replaced with people from poorer countries (Cambodia, Laos etc). The same thing happened in the UK, employers will just replace their workers with oned from poorer countries. In my home town, the biggest employer now has 80% of their work force from eastern Europe, it used to be almost 100% local people (I know someone who's worked there for 30+ years).

Greece has quite a sensible approach at least on paper. You need a work permit to get a job .But he real estate investment gives you the ability to open a business or work for yourself.

I find it frustrating not being legally able to rent rooms or Airbnb type activity. I f I have a surplus of fruit or veg I can't sell it ,my wife can't sell her art etc. I'd probably have two full time Thais working for us on our property if I could legally make some income from it.