Will tourism reopenings and more stimulus be enough to kick-start Thailand’s post-pandemic economic recovery?

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The IMF has predicted GDP growth of 2.6 per cent for the kingdom this year, but expects the road forward to be sluggish and uneven

As the Beatles sang its "The Long and winding road"

• Haha 1

Very little doubt and let me emphasize little, the tourism industry will rebound after the country is mostly vaccinated by year's end.  Have no clue if it will be in time to have a large impact on the upcoming tourist season.  Next one will most likely be over the top insane like it was pre-pandemic.  Wish this wasn't the case but have no choice to live with it.

Many seem to dream of Thailand's tourism demise since the as far back as I can remember but reality seems to not care.  I dream of busy seasons of 20 years ago and not the mass tourism that has replaced it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, connda said:

New Normal will make Old Normal look like paradise as there will be no returning to Old Normal.

I really hope you are wrong  but fear you are very right...     I'll be saying  sod "new normal"  for as long as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Further, the world nowadays, compared to 100 years ago, is much more engrossed with capitalism,  wealth and greed, to the point where, for any situation, the first/major critical point is money / how whatever money is available will be split. 

And let's face it the wealthy have more means to get into that available money; the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. 

or the rich get richer and they drag the the poor kicking and screaming along so they can complain about getting screwed.  Really don't have much choice do they.  It is not as if the masses might look in the mirror.  Most of this was in jest but really think the world is made of those that complain vs. those that have fun and some even get rich.

The world 100 years ago was far more violent and just as greedy.  You have created an illusion that is far from reality.

What was this thread about ????

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, connda said:

Why would a western tourist jump these hurdles? 

Let me take a shot at that:
Because Thailand and Thai people and Thai culture are absolutely the best in the world unmatched by any other place or people and the rest of the world desperately wants to come to Prathet Thai and worship at the feet of such an amazing and exceptional nation?
Am I close?

On Chang again ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

The IMF must just look at the rising baht for their predictions ????

If you are upset about the high bhat, look no further than the USA who put thailand on the currency manipulation watchlist.  That was keeping the bhat low not high.  

You can call whoever is in charge there and complain if you want to.  

16 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Even Phuket bars etc are closed and the only plus is the beaches. The Mediterranean and USA resorts are open. 

No need to contact embassy. 

No copies of documents to apply for certificate of entry. 

No ASQ and showing of advance booking

No expensive covid Insurance. 

I don't know about US resorts but nearly all EU countries require proof of vaccination and a negative test,there is some quarantine as well.Here in the Netherlands the media are reporting that masks will not be needed from next week.The infection rate is dropping fast except for 16-24 year olds,that's rising fast mainly with those returning from Spain, Portugal and one other country I think it was Greece.Dont hold your breath expecting things to get back to normal any time soon.

14 hours ago, connda said:

Let me take a shot at that:
Because Thailand and Thai people and Thai culture are absolutely the best in the world unmatched by any other place or people and the rest of the world desperately wants to come to Prathet Thai and worship at the feet of such an amazing and exceptional nation?
Am I close?

How dare you! The post Brexit Brits are the best.Whats culture?

4 hours ago, adammike said:

I don't know about US resorts but nearly all EU countries require proof of vaccination and a negative test,there is some quarantine as well.Here in the Netherlands the media are reporting that masks will not be needed from next week.The infection rate is dropping fast except for 16-24 year olds,that's rising fast mainly with those returning from Spain, Portugal and one other country I think it was Greece.Dont hold your breath expecting things to get back to normal any time soon.

It doesn't really matter if the virus is getting out of control in the country that you are "vacationing" to.

Thailand has some serious serious problems right now with this virus and egg is all over their faces and it is truly unfortunate.  The government gambled that it would just burn out but that didn't happen.  

This is an entirely different animal.  

Can you imagine?  Coming for a vacation and they are getting people to sleep on cardboard beds in field hospitals?  I mean who can make this **** up?  

• Like 1