Phuket fisheries chief defends blacktip shark fishing, ‘not illegal’

Jonathan Fairfield

1624091773_1-org.jpeg

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Watcharin Rattanachoo, Chief of the Phuket Fisheries Office, has repeated his explanation that the fishing of blacktip reef sharks in areas not protected by law is not illegal.

The call follows photos of a haul of blacktip reef sharks at the Phuket Fishing Port circulating on social media overnight.

Mr Watcharin already confirmed to The Phuket News yesterday that the fishing of blacktip reef sharks in non-protected areas, although not liked by many people, is not illegal.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-fisheries-chief-defends-blacktip-shark-fishing-not-illegal-80397.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-06-20

• Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't spread false information, these fish - happen to be sharks that you like for some reason - are not protected species here and legal to catch, no different to any other fish, and I'm pretty sure quite tasty....????

If somewhere else they have a different status, who cares, it does not apply in this country and to the fishing laws here , get over it ... ! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

Don't spread false information, these fish - happen to be sharks that you like for some reason - are not protected species here and legal to catch, no different to any other fish, and I'm pretty sure quite tasty....????

If somewhere else they have a different status, who cares, it does not apply in this country and to the fishing laws here , get over it ... ! 

Be ashamed...

• Like 2

I don't know if they do this in Phuket but the catching of sharks and cutting off their fins and then throwing them back alive in the water to sink and eventually drown is a terrible thing. 

I remember 30 years ago eating big lobsters in Phuket and other fish species cheaply and so fresh. Last time we ate lobster (a special birthday treat) it cost us a bomb! 

As a child in Manly we ate fish and chips with our grandparents nearly every Friday night as a family get-together. Bought from the Manly Fish Shop near the end of the Corso ... fresh as could be and delicious. We usually ate shark 'hake' and it was delicious.

I like my generation thought nothing of eating this species or any other nor did we worry about netting the beaches we swam and surfed at which killed a lot of creatures besides sharks.

The industrial fishing by huge ships with drag nets and other mass kill netting has decimated the world's fish stocks. I don't know what the answer is, or even if there is one. 

There is no way to stop shark fishing... there is a huge market for shark fin...  we all know where that is, and where the profit comes from. 

Tiger penis, rhino horn, pangolin scales, elephant tusks, etc etc etc....

maybe some people care, but the buyers do not care.......and the fisherman / poachers care even less.....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

Why would anybody eat shark at all..??..??..

They are full of mercury.

chinese will eat just about anything if you tell them that it might enlarge their benis or raise their sexual potency.

• Like 1