Arrivals In Uk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heathrow..... :o ..... shudder.

Just for comparison - last month went skiing in France with my Thai GF. Avoided Paris CDG by flying to Geneva instead (Etihad go direct to Geneva from Abu dhabi which is handy).

My Gf had the Schengen visa jobby, and we'd checked up especially that Thai's do not need any extra visa for Switzerland aswell.....

She walked up to the immigration counter...... and i swear she went thru as quick or quicker than a Brit goes thru the desk in the UK (once you get to the desk ;-) )..... you know, that quick cursory glance at the passport. :D

She was a bit disappointed (not even a stamp), and i was fairly stunned too.

And all the bags arrived quickly and efficiently.

It's amazing isn't it, that hundreds of thousands of worthless eastern Europeans can come to the UK without any problems, and yet, when a Thai woman, married or a girl friend, who has demonstrated, she has enough money for the trip, is treated so badly.

I can only think this is a colour issue.

No i don't think so. The government was forced to let in the east europeans , so to counterbalance this , they are trying harder to stop those it can stop from coming here easily. Asians are an ideal target to pick on , except the Japanese, so our lovely government makes it harder and harder for genuine couples and visitors to get visas to come here.

My gf has just got another tourist visa to go over to the UK again and we're going over sometime in July. I'll let everybody know if we have any problems and I'll definately be going through the non EU gate with her this time.

Hi all,

I have not read all the previous posts but just to let you know, my wife arrived at London Heathrow yesterday, and although she was questioned quite extensively, she managed to make it through within 1 hour of landing. I was really surprised!!!!

Some of the questions they asked her were as follows:

1. What is your husbands name?

2. What day did you marry?

3. What day did your husband come back to the UK?

4. Why have you come to the UK?

5. Have you come with your husband, or did you come alone?

6. How long are you staying in England?

After the questions, she was taken to a private room to check her passport, flight ticket and TB certificate. The IO looked at all the documents and then asked her one final question. What is your husbands telephone number?

She managed to remember everything and they then stamped her through. :o

Hope this helps for anybodies wife that is travelling alone.

Kind regards

The staff at the Immigration desks are instructed not to split up families so they are entitled to enter with you via the EU national desk.

I can understand the staff not wishing for a build up of cleared passengers hanging about behind them.

So can I, but when, after waiting patiently in the baggage hall for over 45 minutes, I go back through and politely ask how long she is likely to be I do not expect to be told "I've spoken to you once already, now piss off before I call the police and have you arrested" pointing to the door as she said it. Now I don't care how harrassed she was because they were short staffed, politeness costs nothing and in the time it took to be offensive she could have said the I.O. had been temporarily moved and there would be about an hours delay. We would have known what was happening and just sat down and waited. Somebody from within the baggage dept. had already asked what was wrong because we'd been hanging around for so long then he went to ask but came back without an explanation, saying he couldn't find out why there was a delay. She was just a typical British Jobsworth.

edited just to add that when I came through passprt control my girlfriend was about tenth in the queue and one of the other guy's wife was fourth. We should have only been waiting a few minutes and thats why, after more than three quarters of an hour we were getting concerned and went back through to ask. And we were polite when doing so.

I hate immigration everywhere, it must be a nessisity for the job to have no sense of humour, compassion .... and these officers in london are some of the worst,it was a real embsarasment when i took my wife over,it was a short sharp reminder of why i left the uk and if i ever go back it will not be from choice,.

It's amazing isn't it, that hundreds of thousands of worthless eastern Europeans can come to the UK without any problems, and yet, when a Thai woman, married or a girl friend, who has demonstrated, she has enough money for the trip, is treated so badly.

I can only think this is a colour issue.

It wont be ,they ( the immigration officers ) are neary all of asian or african descent,. it may be a thai thing though,.

I asked about going with my wife through immigration and got this email.

Dear Sir,

Your enquiry dated 26th May 2007 refers.

If you accompany your wife you may both use the channel together marked" UK/EEA/Swiss nationals" to clear passport control.

Border and Immigration Agency/ Border Control

I hate immigration everywhere, it must be a nessisity for the job to have no sense of humour, compassion .... and these officers in london are some of the worst,it was a real embsarasment when i took my wife over,it was a short sharp reminder of why i left the uk and if i ever go back it will not be from choice,.

........... and you are probably not wrong.

Whether or not you have a point is actually not relevant to any discussion. The fact you feel the way you do for the reasons that may or may not exist is sufficient testament to what many already know, the system fails those it is meant to serve.

It wasn't always thus, but after 10 years of Bliar and his arse lickers not very much works very well.

A tragedy really, but what else could you expect from a bunch of self serving small town stalinists approaching their sell by date?

Came through Gatwick with my wife (on visit visa) and 2 children (british) recently. Joined the EU queue, but when they saw we were with 2 babies an IO approached us and they opened a previously closed desk for us and after 3-4 trivial questions answered by me we were through.

Edited by sonicdragon

We have regularly travelled to the UK from Switzerland and on a couple of occasions have had stupid questions from the IO , one particular time they asked me why I was travelling to the UK. Given that I am 100% British I was a bit surprised but explained we were visting family then the next question was why do you live in Switzerland, anser "to avoid stupid prats like you"

Needless to say the wife passport was stamped and we were on our way quickly.

This never happens in the other destinations i.e. Switzerland France Germany so what is it that makes the UK so special

ash

Edited by smithash

my recent experience has a slight twist in that my wife went through the foreign nationals line as i didn't realise we could go through the UK/EEA one together. She was through in no time . I however , on waving my British Passport to the I/O in the UK queue was stopped, had my passport strutinized as if he thought it might be a forgery , then grilled on why i was in Bangkok and why i stayed two weeks. I replied it was none of his business, which it isn't, and was then told i could pass !

Such uncalled for rudeness , that meant that my wife was waiting for me to clear immigration instead of the usual other way round

If you want to see real mongrels in action, watch the Xcite channel on UBC on Friday evenings (repeated Sat morning). A show called 'Border Control' or something along those lines, documents the Australian immigration fellas at work.

My gf arrived at Heathrow yesterday evening and was through in 45 mins. In fact, I was still stuck in traffic on the M25 when she called to ask where I was.

She was asked minimal questions which were asked by an English lady IO who was very polite and helpful. These were:

1. Why she was visiting England.

2. Where she was staying in England

3. How long she was staying for

4. Was anybody waiting to greet her.

5. What her job in Thailand was.

All in all, for her first visit to England, I'd say she had a pleasant and hastle free arrival.

Guemlum

• 3 weeks later...
My gf arrived at Heathrow yesterday evening and was through in 45 mins. In fact, I was still stuck in traffic on the M25 when she called to ask where I was.

She was asked minimal questions which were asked by an English lady IO who was very polite and helpful. These were:

1. Why she was visiting England.

2. Where she was staying in England

3. How long she was staying for

4. Was anybody waiting to greet her.

5. What her job in Thailand was.

All in all, for her first visit to England, I'd say she had a pleasant and hastle free arrival.

Guemlum

Similar questions at Birmingham as we both went thro Non UK lines. Why here, where stay, are you working???, (NO) how much money have you for trip. Very welcoming guy, but next door one was giving the Indian guy a hard time.

I asked about going with my wife through immigration and got this email.

Dear Sir,

Your enquiry dated 26th May 2007 refers.

If you accompany your wife you may both use the channel together marked" UK/EEA/Swiss nationals" to clear passport control.

Border and Immigration Agency/ Border Control

Have you retained the e-mail? If so could you post it here somehow. Be nice to have it when I go to UK next month with my wife.

Previously we have gone through non-EU channel together. Having read in this thread that it was possible to use the EU channel I also sent off an e-mail to Borders and Immigration, so if necessary I could show it to the immigration officer. I got a reply within 24 hours - but not the one I wanted.

If the non EU queue is very long I might take my chance anyway.

Any problem I'll hand them my mobile and give them the Scousers number (Joke)

I am pleased that recent reports say that immigration officers were polite, in contrast to earlier posts. My wife has never been treated with anything less than politeness.

My wife and I will be travelling to the UK in July she holds a two year UK visa that was issued in Qatar last month. The problem I have reading the earlier posts is that she is pregnant and does not have a chest x-ray or a TB certificate stating that she is clear we have a letter from the hospital stating that she is clear, would this suffice?

Thanks for any feedback

The requirement to undergo a TB test as part of the visa application process only applies to applications made at the British embassies in Thailand and a few other countries, of which Qatar is not one. Your wife does not, therefore, need to undergo a TB test pre-entry, but she may choose to have one done rather than go through the procedure on arrival.

Scouse.

My wife and I will be travelling to the UK in July she holds a two year UK visa that was issued in Qatar last month. The problem I have reading the earlier posts is that she is pregnant and does not have a chest x-ray or a TB certificate stating that she is clear we have a letter from the hospital stating that she is clear, would this suffice?

What type of visa is it? Confirming you are free from TB only applies to settlement visas and a few other categories and not holders of visitors visas.

From UK Visa site

Tuberculosis Testing

All applications submitted in Thailand for travel to the United Kingdom for a period longer than six months will require obtaining a certificate confirming that they are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB) before submitting their visa application. The categories of application which fall under this new requirement include long-term students, work permit holders, other employment and domestic workers, volunteer workers (plus all dependants of the aforementioned), and all settlement and marriage cases. Please note that those failing to submit a certificate at the time of submission of application may lead to refusal of visa and the visa fee will not be refunded.

If you want to see real mongrels in action, watch the Xcite channel on UBC on Friday evenings (repeated Sat morning). A show called 'Border Control' or something along those lines, documents the Australian immigration fellas at work.

Aahah that show is so funny...there is a kiwi version as well.

Aussies aren't that bad in the end...all the times I've been stopped they always been professional.

g.

The requirement to undergo a TB test as part of the visa application process only applies to applications made at the British embassies in Thailand and a few other countries, of which Qatar is not one. Your wife does not, therefore, need to undergo a TB test pre-entry, but she may choose to have one done rather than go through the procedure on arrival.

Scouse.

Qatar British Embassy said we needed to prove that she did not have TB. The embassy even rung me to clarify what the doctor had wrote. As explained I would not allow them to z-ray the wife because of the pregnancy so they gave her a small injection on her arm to see the reaction (it was clear)

Angrit,

Reading correctly she has a two year visitors visa we will only be staying three weeks so from what you quoted she will not need to produce a TB cert.

Scouse.

Qatar British Embassy said we needed to prove that she did not have TB. The embassy even rung me to clarify what the doctor had wrote. As explained I would not allow them to z-ray the wife because of the pregnancy so they gave her a small injection on her arm to see the reaction (it was clear)

My thoughts:

Extract from Diplomatic Service Procedures

"24.1 - Persons who require medical examination

The Rules state that any person who intends to remain in the UK for more than 6 months should normally be referred for a medical examination. If the person declines, he or she can be refused. Longstanding policy has been for the Immigration Officer to refer to the Port Medical Inspector on arrival anyone who mentions health or medical treatment as a reason for their visit, appears to be unwell or is seeking entry for more than 6 months and comes from a country with high incidence of Infectious Tuberculosis (TB)".

OK up to this point it sems to be about person arriving at a port of entry

"Additionally an ECO has discretion to refer any other person for an examination if necessary (Paragraph 36). These are wide-ranging powers."

Doha embassy does not require TB test. Not a high risk country. However as your wife is Thai, a country whose Embassy does, the Doha ECO may be justifying her apparent use of the right of discretion on as your wife "comes from" Thailand.

Paragraph 36 is a cross reference to a paragraph in Immigration Law and Policy which requires Immigration Officers (which I assume, for pupose of Law and Policy includes ECOs) to use discretion sparingly.

Edited by RalphUK

Reading correctly she has a two year visitors visa we will only be staying three weeks so from what you quoted she will not need to produce a TB cert.

Only people intending to stay for more than 6 months will be asked to have proof they are free from TB, On any visitors visa you cannot stay longer than 6 months.

See also TB Screening and check out the Q & A.

Scouse.

My Wife was pregnant and and we refused to have one and waited as the risk are high. They do do internal swabs or something over 3 days which is meant to be uncomfortable but ok.

Goodluck

Scouse.

My Wife was pregnant and and we refused to have one and waited as the risk are high. They do do internal swabs or something over 3 days which is meant to be uncomfortable but ok.

Goodluck

For her to gain residency in Qatar (March) she had to complete a medical which involved a chest x-ray, we refused because of her pregnancy they then gave her a small injection in her forearm which reacted over a period of three days. When we returned to the clinic three days later she was cleared as being okay.

I've not heard of an internal test?

From the responses todate I dont think we will have any problems.

Thanks Again

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

Scouse.

Goodluck

Failure to produce a TB test cetificate requires that "the application should be refused unless there are compelling compassionate circumstances."

I suppose that not exposing your wife to the risk of a test but wanting your child to be born in the UK where your parents could help in it's immediate upbringing, or something like that, may have met the criteria. Probably not.

The word "should" implies there are other circumstances where the application need not be refused - but I don't know of any.

An ECO cannot state as a reason for refusing a visa that the applicatnt refused to take a test. Only that they failed to produce a certificate. That one has got me scratching my head.

For her to gain residency in Qatar (March) she had to complete a medical which involved a chest x-ray, we refused because of her pregnancy they then gave her a small injection in her forearm which reacted over a period of three days. When we returned to the clinic three days later she was cleared as being okay.

I too have never heard of an internal test.

What your wife had, I would suggest is probably the Mantoux Test, a needle, or less likely a Heaf test, which is a multi pronged gun needle.

Moss

I too have never heard of an internal test.

What your wife had, I would suggest is probably the Mantoux Test, a needle, or less likely a Heaf test, which is a multi pronged gun needle.

Moss

Yep, thats the one Mossy. I knew it was something a little horrid and they could only do it early on a morning so we passed.

:o