Passport going to expire what happen to visa extension?

My passport is expiring 27Apr2022. 

My Non Immg visa is expiring 4Aug2021. I have just got my Visa extended 7July2021. And experienced the below. Posting this to share my experience as well as to seek advice from the experts here if the rules are truly as such.

1/Instead of the usual 1-year extension, I was given an extension till 27Apr2022 ONLY, with a stamping says 'per passport validity'. But still I got to pay the normal thb1900 extension fee. (!)

2/On top of this unfair payment, means I have to go crazy do all the paperworks again by March2022 to apply for a new extension again (Instead of go crazy each 12mths) after I get a new passport. 

3/I was once told by someone, that having a new passport but still with the visa stick on the old passport, upon arrival to Thailand, within 24hrs, need to go to the Immg to get them make a new visa sheet to stick (transfer) on the new passport.

But when I asked the Immg yesterday they denied such rules. Said that just have to carry both old and new passport together. Asking me back if I should listen to 'someone' or 'them' from the Immg office. 

Any experts here, please advice. Especially with Covid which no one knows when situation going to improve. So, if things get drag on again, I dare not imagine what I'm going to do by Apr.... passport die, visa die...????

(I only have plan to return home, thus passport could still be valid till the last day, there is no such '6-mth validity prior to travel' rule if one is returning back to home country). 

Many thanks.

• Haha 2

What you have experienced is the way it has been for some years I'm afraid. You will pay another 1,900 Baht in March too. 

You should have renewed your passport before going for the extension.

You can use the still valid visa in your old passport if you have a new passport. That would also apply if you got a new passport whilst outside the country with a valid extension and re-entry permit in your old passport.

You only need to go to immigration for a transfer if you get a new passport whilst in Thailand.

Crossy is correct.  But I think that you need to produce all the usual, proof of residence,income, bank letter with corresponding amount shown in updated bank book.  Be careful about the bank letter.  I once had all the stuff and more including over a million in the bank for months.  The unpdated book showed 1,780,428 baht, the letter said 1,780,482 was in my account and had been there for 5 months.  It was not accepted. I had to battle rush hour traffic across town to get to the bank b4 closing time to get a corrected letter then back to immigration.  Missed our ferry home as a result.  

1,900 THB is only about 50 EUR, 59 USD or 42 GBP.  Be happy that you are not attempting to enter the UK where Patel would lock you up or the US where the Proud Boys might just shoot you.  Thailand does have its quirks but compared to some countries it is pretty reasonable.

Of course you have to pay the full price. You're not paying for the extension, you're paying for them to process your application. Hence why you don't get the money back if your application is denied. It's hardly their fault you're not up-to-date regarding the rules of visa/passport validity.

When you have the new passport, you have to take it together with the old passport and the letter/note your embassy gives you to transfer your latest stamp to the new passport. Do note that this generally has to be done at the same immigration office where you got the stamp.