Singapore reports no new local COVID-19 cases, first time since April 25

2021-07-10T082418Z_1_LYNXMPEH6902E_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SINGAPORE-VACCINE.jpeg

FILE PHOTO: A woman walks into a newly set up coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccination center which will be opened to the public the day after, in Singapore January 26, 2021. REUTERS/Edgar Su/File Photo

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore on Saturday reported no new cases of locally transmitted COVID-19 infection for the first time since April 25, according to preliminary daily numbers.

The country has been easing restrictions on social gatherings over the last few weeks after having reimposed stricter curbs in May.

More than 60% of the city-state's population has received at least one vaccine dose, while nearly 40% has completed the regimen.

Singapore has reported more than 62,000 COVID-19 cases and 36 deaths during the pandemic.

(Reporting by Aradhana Aravindan in Singapore; Editing by William Mallard)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-07-11
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, J Town said:

just don't get it. Vaccines are profitable and the obvious solution. Why is Thailand balking so miserably? Almost a year ago to the day Thailand was #1 on the Global COVID-19 Recovery Index. Now we're 3rd from the bottom. 😪

Yes it is a lesson not to call the game over at the end of the first inning of the ball game.  In my opinion Thailand did nothing different than any other country in the beginning but was receiving accolades.  In truth, Thailand, Vietnam, Camodia, Laos, and Burma also had very low covid infection rates at that time.  I never thought it was possible that all the S.E. Asian countries had such low rates because what they did was so diligent.  Rather for whatever reason they were just lucky at that time and now they are getting their turn in the barrel. 

As to why to not embark on a program to procure vaccines more quickly.  As is true with most governments they will have to empanel a host of experts, gather leading medical virologists to give testimony to their committees, they will seek out the advise and counsel of other world communities, they will immediately draconian measures to stem the virus irrespective of how unproven they are.  

Now after careful deliberation, and weighing all the benefits and drawbacks of each proposal they will finally get to ordering vaccines.  That is of course the correct course of action and it will take place, that is after they have considered, and implemented and find out first that all of the other actions no matter how nonsensical are tried first. 

Singapore has obviously carried out a successful vaccination program of it's population . 

That can not be said for Thailand .

5 minutes ago, itsari said:

Singapore has obviously carried out a successful vaccination program of it's population . 

That can not be said for Thailand .

Singapore has less than 6 million people so I guess you are no so great at math.

Edited by shdmn
1 minute ago, shdmn said:

Singapore has less than 6 million people so I guess you are no so great at math.

I am good at math's thank you . Remember percentages