Leaked letters show AstraZeneca vaccine commitment not as Thailand claimed

webfact

"He told reporters the 3 million figure had been a rough estimate and Thailand had formally asked AstraZeneca in April 2021 to provide 10 million monthly doses."

Whoever made the original estimate of requirements seems either misinformed of the situation or incompetent to get it so far wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

In any 'normal' country someones head would roll for this from the government. Here the person who leaked it will be hounded and it will probably be described as fake news.

"The director-General of the Thai Disease Control Department, Opas Karnkawinpong, confirmed on Sunday that the letter was authentic"

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thailand said:

As I posted on another thread this situation could be resolved by a few pricks, in the arm!

The ptb comprise of multi pricks so should not be a difficult task.

And therein lies the conundrum. The whole mess is being caused by a few pricks!

• Haha 1

No issue with intelligently criticizing a nations government but non-sensical rants that are borderline racist only exposes the poster's lack of perspective and character flaws.

Sure, my experiences are anecdotal but no worry on my end.  I hope the situation in Thailand remains as bad the next few months because bad seems pretty good from my vantage point.  Just curious, what countries in Europe or the Americas handled Covid better than Thailand?  Hmmm, none... but the current vaccine missteps sure makes a few posters orgasmic.

• Confused 5

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

"The director-General of the Thai Disease Control Department, Opas Karnkawinpong, confirmed on Sunday that the letter was authentic"

If you have been in Thailand long enough, what is said one day, is often retracted, so what he said today may not be the same tomorrow or next week.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, madmitch said:

also no comment from Anutin or any Government official...not even someone denouncing this as fake news.

Even in Thailand the toothpaste cannot be put back in the tube.

Although they do try often enough.

Now let's see the unredacted contract between THL and AZ. A redacted version is out there, haven't found it, yet.

On another front, the crisis demands more transparency and not less. It took an MP from Move Forward Party, Wiroj Lakkana-adisorn, to secure a heavily redacted Oxford-Astrazeneca contract by using rights under the Information Act. Crucial information such as the price, amounts of doses ordered and delivery time could not be seen. That was Monday. The agreement paper could have been made public last year. Fast forward to Thursday, Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha announced that the delivery of the main COVID-19 vaccines, which is 61 million doses of AstraZeneca, will be delayed by up to six months and reduced by half per month for many months from now.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/?p=0

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1