Thailand’s Health Ministry Adjusts COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Plan to Prioritize the Elderly

Jonathan Fairfield

2fd52171489e839b3704d1dc650db9e0_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health has adjusted its COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan, focusing on vaccinating the elderly and patients any of with seven high-risk diseases.

Department of Disease Control (DDC) Director-General Sophon Iamsirsithavorn said that most of the COVID-19 vaccine stock will be provided to elderly people, to reduce the severity of the illness and risk of death.

He said Thailand’s elderly population is over 13 million, with 1.8 million in Bangkok and 11.8 million in other provinces. Over 10% of the elderly have already been vaccinated, while older people in Bangkok need to be inoculated quickly.

According to the DDC, as of 14 July there had been 2,840 deaths from COVID-19 in the present outbreak, 90%, or 2,556 of whom were patients with underlying diseases or other risk factors, such as obesity, pregnancy or senility.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

I am elderly (78) yet there are NO Plans to vaccinate anyone in Pattaya.

Right where I live we have a choice of vaccines Sinovac or Sinovac. I am told this vaccine doesn't work so well against the Delta Variant and it is everywhere around me so why would I want this vaccine? Some where over the rainbow western vaccines are coming, so take a deep breath and hang on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

About time... of course Pipat jumped the queue with his save Phuket plan... how may elderly were put at risk just so he had something to do.

And how many did actually die!?

On 7/24/2021 at 6:08 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

90%, or 2,556 of whom were patients with underlying diseases or other risk factors, such as obesity, pregnancy or senility.

What was the average age? They left out the most important part.

Situation is getting quite scary now,fact its frightening  ,a complete lock down appears to be inevitable   Even with one jab waiting time for the second dose "sweet spot" too arrive is about 12 weeks, that's 3 months virtually treading on broken glass

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Sinovac. I am told this vaccine doesn't work so well against the Delta Variant and it is everywhere around me so why would I want this vaccine?

Concrete proof that you can take the horse to the water, but you can't make it drink. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Even with one jab waiting time for the second dose "sweet spot" too arrive is about 12 weeks, that's 3 months virtually treading on broken glass

Assuming that you have taken the 1st jab - if that's the case, then it's AZ (2nd jab 12 weeks later.) The 1st dose is already sufficiently "strong" (over 50% effective) to keep you out of ICU and the grim reaper (if you're a Yank, I don't mean Turtle Mitch)'s reach long enough until you get the second jab (then you'll be as strong as Hercules. And when you get Moderna - hopefully - in October, you'll be as strong as Zeus.) So keep the usual precautions, mask, distance, soap, but especially don't let the mis-info crowd hoodwink you into thinking you are "virtually treading on broken glass." You're now part of the living, congrats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

I am elderly (78) yet there are NO Plans to vaccinate anyone in Pattaya.

So drive to the Bang Sue mass vaccination centre in Bangkok and get it done there. Going to get a vaccination is a valid reason for interprovincial travel. They've been vaccinating foreigners over 75 there for a while now. Someone on the covid-19 forum reported his experience of going there from Hua Hin.

• Like 1

Four of my neighbours did just this.  They were turned away as there were no more vaccines available that day.  Admittedly they arrived after lunch.  My son (who lives in BKK) had his 1st jab and suggested I drive over; spend a night in a hotel (if there are any open) close to Bang Sue.   I ventured the opinion that as BKK is the epicentre of the pandemic, queueing for a jab amongst lots of others desperate for a Chinese vaccine might be counter-productive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Thank you.  My son's (53) was Sinopharm.  I might just sit tight for a week & see if the situation clarifies.

Your 78?

There is a walk in service at Bang Sue for 75+. AZ

Check if it's available for folk from Hua Hin.

Link here...

https://www.thailandintervac.com/

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your 78?

There is a walk in service at Bang Sue for 75+. AZ

Check if it's available for folk from Hua Hin.

Link here...

https://www.thailandintervac.com/

A useful link, thank you but 

'Vaccination registration for foreign residents aged 60 and over ONLY (born in 1961 or before) residing in Bangkok and neighboring provinces (Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakarn, Samut Sakhon) 
Click >> https://forms.gle/ULAqvx8eiDoX3v5Q9 <<

(For foreign residents residing in other provinces, please contact provincial health authorities or your provincial hospitals)
Ministry of Foreign Affairs'
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

A useful link, thank you but 

I wonder if you could put your son's address down.

When I filled in registration I just ticked Bangkok. I'm actually going tomorrow for jab so will check what they do for address.

• Like 1