Ubon Ratchathani’s Candle Festival goes virtual

webfact

5.jpg

A couple of years ago, before the pandemic became part of our lives, anything online was considered a gimmick, something to enhance “modernity”. Today, though, online events are unavoidable, so we Thais will, for the first time, observe and embrace the beginning of the Buddhist Lent online.

This year, due to the worsening COVID-19 situation, the Khao Phansa (the start of Buddhist Lent period) ceremony and related traditions including the Candle Festival are not “physical” but “virtual”. Ubon Ratchathani, the Northeastern province famous for the Candle Festival, has decided to host the popular provincial event entirely online to avoid transmission of virus during the celebrations.

The new wave of infections means that the procession of huge candle floats has been cancelled. But rather than do nothing, the provincial fathers decided to move Thung Si Mueang Park where the activities to take place to an online platform from July 22-28, 2021. In addition, other cultural components of the annual event including traditional dance and candle decoration as well as shopping will also be available online. 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ubon-ratchathanis-candle-festival-goes-virtual/

Logo-top-.png

10 hours ago, webfact said:

A couple of years ago, before the pandemic became part of our lives, anything online was considered a gimmick, something to enhance “modernity”. Today, though, online events are unavoidable, so we Thais will, for the first time, observe and embrace the beginning of the Buddhist Lent online.

We're (my family) is just ignoring it all together. 

My "Buddhism" consisted of almost 40 years of solo practice.  No Theravada temples anywhere where I lived in the US.  Here in Thailand?  Half the temples in Chiang Mai want to charge farangs a fee to enter.  I refuse. Most of the rest consider all farang to be Christians who don't have a clue about Buddhism.  Forest monasteries don't want to deal with "old" farang Buddhists.  So what do you do?  And now I don't want to deal with large groups of fearful, masked Buddhists laity seeking to avoid The Plague by offering monks massive amount of Tambun while the poor around them go hungry.
So.  It's back to solo practice.  Buddhism is actually very conducive to solo practice.  After living here 14+ years and spending one Rain Retreat as a fully ordained Bhikkhu, my views of Thai Buddhism have radically changed from my starry-eyed perceptions I had when I first arrived in Thailand.
Solo is good.  I highly recommend it to others. 

• Like 1