Thailand’s Kaeng Krachan forest listed as world natural heritage site

webfact

52 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Disgraceful decision given the treatment of the Karen and their eviction from their traditional lands. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/24/thailand-unesco-world-heritage-status-kaeng-krachan-national-park-claims-of-indigenous-abuses

It would be interesting to know exactly what the Thai government have promised and how/if UNESCO will hold them to those promises. Bearing in mind the previous rejections, there must have been some movement on the part of the government. From what I've read, the Karen themselves are not opposed to World Heritage status as long as their rights are safeguarded. Hopefully, UNESCO will be watching carefully.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It would be interesting to know exactly what the Thai government have promised and how/if UNESCO will hold them to those promises. Bearing in mind the previous rejections, there must have been some movement on the part of the government. From what I've read, the Karen themselves are not opposed to World Heritage status as long as their rights are safeguarded. Hopefully, UNESCO will be watching carefully.

It was UN human rights advisers who recommend against awarding heritage status.

I doubt UNESCO (and in particular China and Russia who backed this bid) gives a flying **** about the Karen. 

I hope I’m wrong and you are right, but my inner pessimist is not holding it’s breath. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Rewording
  • Like 1