Phuket Sandbox on two-week ‘watch’

snoop1130

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

The hotel association stand to gain the most from compulsory room nights. The will fight vigorously for the sandbox to continue.  

Everyone generally books a hotel room for the length of their stay...compulsory or not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, riclag said:

Originally I thought the sandbox was a good idea but the Govt screwed it up by not taking "enough precautions " ,construction workers testing positive and bad mitigation standards. Now with some vaccers being infected due to the Dvirus and being Quarantined ,I believe the experiment has run its course ! IMOP !

They'll drag it out so they can squeeze in Loy Krathong.

1 hour ago, 2long said:

So, now Phuket is sealed off (or is there another thread about that?).

There is.

Mr Farang gets 3 weeks' vacation per year. He's in a relationship with Miss Isaan.

They haven't seen each other in nearly two years.

Indeed - there is a global pandemic going on.  It sort of makes international travel problematic in even the best cases.

The Sandbox was perfect because he can fly in to see her and spend a fortnight in Phuket together.

He books and pays for the COE, Visa, flights, SHA hotel, and her flight or bus south.

Clearly that was a gamble. Anyone who has been tracking the news since March-2020 knows that the situation is incredibly dynamic, and ANYONE who makes international travel plans is taking an enormous gamble.

Oh, he can come but she can't! ????????????????

Tough luck.  He gambled. He lost.  That's just how the cookie crumbles some times - and yes its sad.

I'm expecting plenty of comments about him being able to get some action in Phuket... but let's presume for a moment that he's in love with Miss Isaan and wants to see only her!

Talk to her on Skype?  Using video on Line app? Video on WhatsApp? 

Did I mention there is a global pandemic going on ?   A pandemic affecting the entire world?

Sadly billions of people globally are being impacted.     I actually have a class mate in a similar situation to what you described and its a sad situation - but I don't blame the local government for trying with the sandbox.

However I do note (if I read the translation to the Phuket governor order correctly) the closure only comes into effect in the coming days.  ie  the 'theoretical' Miss Isaan lass you describe, if she can get to Phuket in the next day or two, can still enter, and so they may still have the chance to meet  (assuming of course she was fully vaccinated - which from a % vaccinated in Thailand perspective is highly unlikely - in which case even with the current closure, not being vaccinated she would not have been able to come to Phuket - ie its all a mute point).

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, TigerandDog said:

Absolutely the patients are running the asylum. Announced last night that all domestic travel to Phuket has been stopped, BUT will continue to allow international tourists to arrive. What a complete bunch of idiots.

They will not allow the Sandbox to collapse, after all tourism for the good of the country is at stake, no matter the cost.  Like opening a bar with 3 million in your pocket and a year later calling yourself still a millionaire when all you have is 1 million left.  Sometimes the best made plans do not come to fruition and require one to take a step back and reassess before throwing in the towel.  Yes they will be reassessing this but my view is that they will never admit failure and just make a statement that because of the new waves sweeping over the rest of the world it would be best to shelve the plan for now, laying blame elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1