Bangkok’s popular ‘train night market’ at Ratchada to close permanently: reports

Jonathan Fairfield

ratchada.png

The hugely popular Ratchada night market in Bangkok is to close permanently, according to reports.

Popular with both tourists and locals alike, the ‘train night market’ had been temporarily closed due to restrictions aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19.

However, according to reports in Thai language media, the market will close permanently, with vendors already having been told they need to vacate the site.

A post on Facebook from one of the vendors which appears to confirm the closure, has been shared 32,000 times.

According to the post, the financial impact from the market’s closure due to COVID-19 was too much for the site’s owners to take.

While an official announcement is yet to be made, vendors have apparently been told the market will be demolished, with social media users speculating the huge land plot has been sold off for development.

Prior to the latest restrictions in Bangkok, Talad Rot Fai Ratchada market had been due to re-open on August 1.

However, vendors have now been told they have 14 days to vacate the site, the Bangkok Insight reported.

asean_now_BB.jpg

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, calbts2 said:

From 2013 until about 2017 - A fantastic night market for eating, drinking, and shopping primarily attended by local Thais and expats with few tourists.

2017-2019 - Ratchada Train Market and Esplanade shopping mall taken over nightly by annoying, rude, and loud Chinese tour groups which created hellish tour bus traffic and pollution on the street, an overcrowded MRT station every night, and a ruined ambiance/atmosphere of what the market once was.

March 2020 - until April 2021- Market gets closed down due to the Wuhan Virus.  Reopens later in year and regains its pleasant local ambiance - albeit with far less stalls open and people attending. The one big benefit being the disappearance of Chinese tour groups.

July 2021 - Due to enforced lockdowns/rampant virus spread and the government destroying the economy with no end in sight - small businesses cannot hold on any longer (who can blame them when they get no financial support).
Ratchada Train Night Market gone forever.

Expect to see a lot more of this in the coming months as Thailand is in the midst of its worst ever economic depression. - Thanks CCP!!

I can't agree more. Since 2017 this market was trash due to the fact that you were surrounded by only Chinese group tours.

Still I have great memories with this market especially during New Years Eve pre-drinking.

• Haha 1

Saddening, I liked to go there some years ago. I hope this kind of format will be back, there or elsewhere.

Does anyone know the fate of the other "Train Night Market" on Srinakarin Road, nearby Seacon Square?

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Saddening, I liked to go there some years ago. I hope this kind of format will be back, there or elsewhere.

Does anyone know the fate of the other "Train Night Market" on Srinakarin Road, nearby Seacon Square?

@audaciousnomadalready posted the following:

"The original Rot Fai market in Srinikarin has not been slated for closure. So there's always that...whenever things are back to normal."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, calbts2 said:

From 2013 until about 2017 - A fantastic night market for eating, drinking, and shopping primarily attended by local Thais and expats with few tourists.

2017-2019 - Ratchada Train Market and Esplanade shopping mall taken over nightly by annoying, rude, and loud Chinese tour groups which created hellish tour bus traffic and pollution on the street, an overcrowded MRT station every night, and a ruined ambiance/atmosphere of what the market once was.

I don't know when I was there the first time. Probably 2017. I really liked it. And my Thai gf loved that place.

And then it got worse and worse. Absolutely super crowded with many many tourist groups. Horrible!

I won't miss when I think about how it was pre-Covid.

Unfortunately this is happening all over the world.  Some call it progress.

I am not one of them.

A lot of markets and areas I am sure have hurting owners and tenants or owners that want to build huge buildings to make more money.

I am watching to see what happens with Siam square and patpong now that there is less tourism and less businesses with deep pockets.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:45 PM, burner2014 said:

I can't agree more. Since 2017 this market was trash due to the fact that you were surrounded by only Chinese group tours.

Still I have great memories with this market especially during New Years Eve pre-drinking.

Originally it was a great place to visit, but alas as most things Thai it grew to be a monster.

It became the last place I wanted to be.

Hopefully whatever replacement there is doesn't turn out like  Pryutt's  "cleansed and organized"  version of khao San road.

That chaotic, noisy, and inexpensive place is what tourists come for when visiting Bangkok. (Certain tourists anyway).

i took people there just so they could see the hordes.  when you exited the mall in the back, there was a little shop with a 'terrace' to the left, slightly above grade.  it was a great spot to drink beer and watch the hordes arrive.  they would come through those mall exit doors two abreast and as many as 400 at a time.  just two by two by two going on and on and on.  you'd see people try to enter the mall against the flow, impossible.  i saw people knocked down.  people i took there still talk about it, one of their most vivid memories of bangkok.

i prefer western food and originally i had no problem finding a good meal there.  but it got to where it was beer only for me. 

i must say i saw a similar thing happen to walking street in pattaya btwn 2006 and 2009.  ALOT of changes during that period.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:31 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

speculating the huge land plot has been sold off for development.

When I started to read this post I immediately thought of "prime real estate"! Although I do not know Bangkok, maybe more condos and shopping malls - Chinese???

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

On 7/31/2021 at 11:10 AM, Kinnock said:

At least will create space for another condo building and shopping mall to help with the chronic shortage of such facilities in Bangkok.

Ironically that was my first thought as well.  Bangkok surely needs more condo buildings at the least... ????

• Haha 1

Strange... 
Been there since Tokyu Ratchada turn into haunted house, Merchant Court had a 3 different names and instead of Esplanade it was a great fresh beer entertainment venue). Hint: Srivara Mansion 2
And what they did with that space is surely horrible and disgusting.

PS: any flashbacks of Soi 4 --> almost opposite?