???? - Home Made Rice Pudding - any one made some - ????

Ive been buying imported Ambrosia Rice Pudding in tins ( 96 Baht ) , but I was wondering if its possible to actually make some home made rice pudding that tastes similar or better to the imported type.

Has any one managed to make home made rice pudding , and if so what’s the best recipe and ingredients that can be purchased here in Thailand .

Thanks 

????

Yes. I used to make it but don't bother now. First , you need an oven.

Second , it's not worth powering up the gas oven unless you have other things to put in ( banana cake bread and butter pudding ,. bread , ribs etc ) 

Tasted good but not really worth the effort.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 11:03 PM, Bill Poster said:

Has any one managed to make home made rice pudding , and if so what’s the best recipe and ingredients that can be purchased here in Thailand .

First thing you need is an oven... the rest is easy.

My wife makes tapioca and rice puddings just on a stove. Easy-peasy. It's more like the pudding consistency (cornstart [or cornflour, depending on where you're from]-thickened) of what you buy in a can and less like the custard consistency (egg-thickened) you get when you have an egg-based recipe that bakes in the oven. Some recipes rely on the starch from the rice to thicken it, but I think it's more foolproof to have the cornstarch. Although my wife doesn't do it this way, you could use Bird's Custard Mix (available in Thailand, at least in Chiang Mai) to make it even more like what you find in the can. Here's a recipe you could start with: https://tschips.ca/our-recipes/grandmas-rice-pudding/

Hope this helps and brings a touch of nostalgia back into your life!

What are you looking for? A baked rice pudding or a creamed rice pudding. If you are looking for a baked rice pudding then you will need an oven but a creamed rice pudding can be made in a slow cooker or on the stove top.

Make rice pud regularly in my oven. l make it for staff, gardeners and they just love it ... aroi mak mak!  Few eggs, good quality long grain rice, cream, full cream milk, (can use coconut cream too which I particularly love), knobs of delish' Aussie butter, castor sugar, cinnamon or cinnamon/sugar condiment mix, and raw sugar for dusting of top yummo! 

Place dish in tray of water and into the ov. I trick it up with stewed apple, stewed quinces, and raisins sometimes (not at the same time.

As for store bought stuff being 'good' ... you gotta be kidding ! Tonnes of recipes around - Jamie O, Nigela L, Maeve Omara to name a few have super recipes. Not sourced the mean bar-steward foul mouthed Gordon recipes but he has a superb out of this world scrambled egg recipe nudge, nudge ... say no more govna'

Wow, some effort made there by some. I just mix and warm up coconut milk with durian in the microwave and add and mix it with sticky rice. Maybe if I like durian, my taste is up my bum so it doesn’t matter anyway, 55.

1 hour ago, oslooskar said:

Why don't you just buy some Thai purple sticky rice that they stick inside of bamboo? You could scoop it out into a bowl and then add some cinnamon and cream. Maybe even some nuts and raisins,

That's called khao lam (or lum, as in lumber). They make it with the white sticky rice, too, but I haven't seen any for years. Never thought about adding raisins. I should try that, ask my niece to keep an eye out at the market. I stopped using cream, only use whipping cream now. Pricey, but delicious.

1 minute ago, Acharn said:

That's called khao lam (or lum, as in lumber). They make it with the white sticky rice, too, but I haven't seen any for years. Never thought about adding raisins. I should try that, ask my niece to keep an eye out at the market. I stopped using cream, only use whipping cream now. Pricey, but delicious.

I eat the Kaw Lam often here in CM it's easy to find. My Thai friend also taught me own to make it myself.

However they thought I was mad to suggest adding raisins to replace the bland tasteless black beans. 

It's not like rice pudding though.  It's too sticky And solid. Also they are not very sweet.  

The only flavour one that is sweet has eggs in it as well as sugar and coconut cream. They don't usually sell that one up north...as the northern Thai people don't like the sweetness of it. 

Made a slow cooker full of rice pudding with raisins in it this morning.  Cooked on slow for 5 hours and it came out perfect.  At a bowl of it warm this evening and the rest is in containers to eat throughout the week. Pretty easy to do and takes 5 minutes to put the ingredients together before you put on the lid and turn it to slow.  The smell filled the Condo as it cooked.  Enjoy

Bread and butter pudding too ? Left over sliced bread, buttered, raisons  layered in  between  the slices , I make in a Pyrex oven dish. , then soaked in milk and baked. Lovely.  Love these old fashioned recipes when everything was home made. Real lemon meringue, suet puddings , apple dumplings took all afternoon to make. Any more ????