Schools are cautiously reopening following the deadly COVID-19 epidemic in Indonesia

1906134899_schoolmain.jpg.74fd48a31b0889d039270c8c0fd3eb33.jpg

As coronavirus restrictions lifted, 600 schools in Indonesia's capital Jakarta reopened on Monday (Aug 30), while a teacher organisation urged caution and warned of clusters in classrooms caused by the highly transmissible Delta form.

Authorities said Jakarta's infection rate has declined from a peak last month, when Indonesia was named Asia's coronavirus epicentre, with more than 4 million infections and 131,000 deaths.

In a continuation of a trial that began in April, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan said 610 of 10,000 schools judged safe had opened at 50% full.

"The COVID-19 pandemic circumstances are substantially more under control," he wrote on Instagram.

Vaccinations are not required for at-school learning, according to Anies, who also stated that 91% of youngsters aged 12 to 18 and 85% of educators had been properly immunised.
Vaccinations have been administered to about 70% of Jakarta's 10 million residents.

Zhafira Tsamara Ufaira Azza, 6, was thrilled to be back at school, where pupils would spend one day in class and the rest of the week online.

She said, "I got to meet my classmates and teachers."

Endang Sugiarti, 35, her mother, expressed concern about the Delta variation.

"But I dared to attempt it first for the sake of my daughter's progress and education," she explained.

Last Monday, Education Minister Nadiem Makarim urged for the reopening of schools to be accelerated in order to reclaim lost ground.

"Study targets are decreasing, and many youngsters, particularly females, are dropping out of school," he stated.

"There is a learning loss with long-term consequences."

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view