Jump to content

Pattaya largely deserted but tourists braving a visit to Koh Larn


Recommended Posts

9pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

 

Thai media Siam Rath contrasted the fortunes of Koh Larn and the Pattaya mainland at the weekend after some restrictions were eased.

 

They reported that Thais showing their ID at Bali Hai and on the island were travelling in fair numbers and so were some foreigners with their passports.

 

It was not necessary to have been vaccinated or have antigen tests. Migrant workers were still banned from travelling to the holiday island, however.

 

a2a06c9f547a2229034239f4825b648723f4121663f26ec32baaf101018a066d.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

 

But reporting from Jomtien they said that the beach there was mostly a few Thais with their families and not much else. 

 

And hotels in Pattaya were either shut or with very poor occupancy. 

 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Be nice if Koh Larn had a few high end hotels.

 

Its hard to get excited about spending a night there with virtually nothing to do after 7:00 PM.

 

I guess just bring your own entertainment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Be nice if Koh Larn had a few high end hotels.

 

Its hard to get excited about spending a night there with virtually nothing to do after 7:00 PM.

 

I guess just bring your own entertainment.

What more do the large Pattaya frontage hotels offer beyond that.....overpriced teetotal fruity cocktails to 8pm?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad that not all places have closed in Pattaya and especially in the Jomtien Beach area.

  My cousin said that I should wait until at least until January to travel to Thailand as the

requirements and paperwork plus 21 weeks to quarantine, is just not worth the trip.

  I totally agree, so will wait to see what TAT and especially the Thai government will change

for international travelers next year.

Geezer

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Be nice if Koh Larn had a few high end hotels.

 

Its hard to get excited about spending a night there with virtually nothing to do after 7:00 PM.

 

I guess just bring your own entertainment.

There is as much to do as on just about every other popular beach in LOS. The exceptions would be Lamai, Chaweng and Hat Rin, though no doubt some will come up with beaches I haven't mentioned that are just busting with exciting things to do after dark.

 

PS, I don't include such beaches as Jomtien, Pattaya, Patong, Hua Hin or any other beach in a tourist town.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What more do the large Pattaya frontage hotels offer beyond that.....overpriced teetotal fruity cocktails to 8pm?

Hilton has a rooftop bar and a 7th floor infinity pool.

 

Its also on top of Central Plaza just an elevator ride away.

 

Buffet breakfast is an event onto itself.

 

Despite being pretty slow Pattaya still has plenty of lively areas you can reach by a scooter or walking.

 

The Hilton prices hover around $100.00.  pretty cheap for a 5 star resort experience.

 

That said a stay on Koh Larn sounds really nice and relaxing.

 

Do both.

 

This place looks nice.

Screenshot_20210914-092244.jpg

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Like the Lek Hotel, just a stride away?

Given I didn't need grovelling minions pretending to like me, the Lek was everything I needed in an hotel. Comfy bed, ensuite with hot water shower, cable tv, interesting view of Second Rd, good location, and affordable buffet breakfast.

Certainly for less than $100 a night.

 

and the most important part, they were guest friendly. I doubt the Hilton is.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Like the Lek Hotel, just a stride away?

I actually stayed there where I was younger.  

 

Its perfect for young lads like yourself.

 

Definitely a viable option if you're living hand to mouth.

 

I'm happy to pay the extra 2,000 baht for the Hilton. 

I'm a Diamond member so we usually get upgraded to a suite.

 

Executive lounge also pretty incredible with free flowing drinks and food in the evening.

 

Usually covers the extra 2000 baht cost.  Plus my head doesn't stick to the pillows

 

 

Great view also.

 

 

 

20200218_170915-EFFECTS.jpg

Screenshot_20210914-180047.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I actually stayed there where I was younger. 

Yes, me too..... many years ago. Fit my needs and my pocket all those years ago, and location excellent. Did I read it had closed for good recently?

PS I am far from being a young lad. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, me too..... many years ago. Fit my needs and my pocket all those years ago, and location excellent. Did I read it had closed for good recently?

PS I am far from being a young lad. 

I checked out there website and it seems open.

 

Next visit I'm going to check it out.  Have a coffee by the pool.  

 

Enjoy your week, stay safe.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was In Patts yesterday, it was busier than I have seen it in 12 months or so.  Nice to see, as the Chinese/Indians/Middle East folk haven't arrived in any numbers yet, so no coaches.  Not that I begrudge them coming, its the crowds, noise and traffic congestion that I don't like.  That will all change soon no doubt and I will then be avoiding the place again, as I did pre covid.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I actually stayed there where I was younger.  

 

Its perfect for young lads like yourself.

 

Definitely a viable option if you're living hand to mouth.

 

I'm happy to pay the extra 2,000 baht for the Hilton. 

I'm a Diamond member so we usually get upgraded to a suite.

 

Executive lounge also pretty incredible with free flowing drinks and food in the evening.

 

Usually covers the extra 2000 baht cost.  Plus my head doesn't stick to the pillows

 

 

Great view also.

 

 

 

20200218_170915-EFFECTS.jpg

Screenshot_20210914-180047.jpg

EXCEPT....the lounges have been closed for nearly a year due to covid. 😕

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

EXCEPT....the lounges have been closed for nearly a year due to covid. 😕

I just called. 

 

Lounge is closed but afternoon tea and evening cocktails are served to executive members in the Horizon Lounge on the roof.

 

 

Or you can have them brought to your room.

 

Absolutely free for 2 hour's.

 

Love this place!

 

Ooozes Luxury!

 

 

5-best-rooftop-bars-restaurants-top.jpg

horizon-bar-at-hilton-pattaya-1.jpg

Screenshot_20210915-101555.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

afternoon tea and evening cocktails are served to executive members in the Horizon Lounge on the roof.

 

 

Or you can have them brought to your room.

 

Absolutely free for 2 hour's.

Sorry but that's worth a few :cheesy:. Didn't you say that the Hilton was 2,000 baht a night more expensive?

I could buy a few cocktails for 2,000 baht.

 

19 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Plus my head doesn't stick to the pillows

Are you making that up? Never happened to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...