Jump to content

Thailand’s Planned School Reopening in November Depends on Vaccine Rollout


Recommended Posts

8f64a5c861f4a20964ce4515c895f9a8_small.jpg

 

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Education Ministry has pointed out that schools will resume on-site learning in November, provided that sufficient vaccines are made available for students next month.

 

Education Minister Treenuch Thienthong said on Monday the decision to resume in-person classes in November came from lessons learned by conducting online and on-air studies during the pandemic.

 

She said the ministry consulted the public health and the interior ministries before setting the November 1st target for school reopening. However, a return to class depends on the vaccine rollout, adding that Pfizer vaccine jabs will be offered next month to students aged 12-17.

 

Ms. Treenuch said the inoculations will be provided only if parents give their consent. The jabs will first be distributed to students in the dark-red zones, hardest hit by the pandemic, including Bangkok. Vaccination will need to proceed quickly and the Public Health Ministry will map out a vaccination plan, while the Education Ministry will pass information about the necessity and possible side effects of the inoculation to parents.

 

nnt.jpg
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

How can we believe such calendar ?

 

How to vaccine millions of students... before november 1 ? Plus the fact that with Pfizer there are 3 weeks between dose 1 and dose 2.

 

The maths do not add up, as usual.

 

So the question is : what will happen november 1 ? Only the schools in Bangkok will be able to reopen ? What about up country ?

 

What about the children in primary, less than 12 years old ?

 

What will happen if parents say "no" and the target (?) of let's say 70 % off vaccinated children per school can't be achieved ?

 

So many questions, and so little information.

All excellent questions.  How about just ensuring that teachers and school staff are vaccinated and then opening up with the same Covid protocols as last time?  Parents can decide whether to send their kids to school, or not.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Subject the kids to nasal torture every 2 weeks.

Who will pay for all the testing?

 

Staff and children will need to have an ATK test (nasal and throat) before being allowed back on to campus. Parents would then be required to test the children every two weeks at home and upload a photograph of the test result on to the school platform.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They published some details....

 

It's insane.

 

for dark red and red provinces:

-85 % of staff and students must be vaccinated

-max 25 students per class

-2 antigen tests per week for teachers and students (1 to 2 per week for red provinces)

 

and for orange provinces

...85 % of staff and teachers vaccinated (but not children)

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think my daughter last went to school in March/April and that had only been for a month before they closed again ! I do NOT believe she will be back this side of X-mas. 

 

If the schools are totally closed for covid, then it is a good indicator of when the country will open up.

 

If they are talking about 'potential' schools back November then its a good guess they will leave it at least a month before opening the economy to more tourists. And that counts this year out

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an important update. A dozen international schools in Chiang Mai have received authorization to reopen "on site".

 

One has even confirmed that they reopen... today.

 

The rules that they have to follow are still not very clear. But anyway, the process has started. It's a good news !

 

Thread :

https://aseannow.com/topic/1231576-schools-opening-on-monday/

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Seems worrying......

 

Do benefits outweigh risks?

 

US researchers have suggested that healthy boys are more likely to develop a rare side-effect from the Pfizer jab – inflammation of the heart – than be hospitalized with COVID-19. Their analysis of medical data collected over a four-month period suggests that boys aged 12 to 15, with no underlying medical conditions, are four to six times more likely to be diagnosed with vaccine-related myocarditis than ending up in a hospital with COVID.

 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/what-children-and-parents-can-expect-from-thailands-vaccination-drive-for-kids/

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sungod said:

 

Seems worrying......

 

Do benefits outweigh risks?

 

US researchers have suggested that healthy boys are more likely to develop a rare side-effect from the Pfizer jab – inflammation of the heart – than be hospitalized with COVID-19. Their analysis of medical data collected over a four-month period suggests that boys aged 12 to 15, with no underlying medical conditions, are four to six times more likely to be diagnosed with vaccine-related myocarditis than ending up in a hospital with COVID.

 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/what-children-and-parents-can-expect-from-thailands-vaccination-drive-for-kids/

 

 

 

I read that the UK have decided to offer Pfizer for 12 - 15 year olds but only one shot. I note in that article you linked to that the risk seems to be after the second dose.

 

So yes it could be the risks outweigh the benefits.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sungod said:

Do the Thais intend to give 1 or 2? I haven't read anything yet.

 

Sorry, still very borderline for me, someone with a very fit and healthy 13 year old who wants his kid at school.

Its not been mentioned as far as I know, I also read they may decide to give Sinopharm to the kids here, it depends what article you read, so many announcements so many differing statements. For me currently so long as teachers and parents are vaccinated then that is the important first hurdle to get the schools open.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Subject the kids to nasal torture every 2 weeks.

Who will pay for all the testing?

 

Staff and children will need to have an ATK test (nasal and throat) before being allowed back on to campus. Parents would then be required to test the children every two weeks at home and upload a photograph of the test result on to the school platform.

My daughter's kids back in the UK we're having 2 of these tests a week at the height of the crisis there. None of them had any problem or fear of the ATK test at all. It was easy, quick and painless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cclub75 said:

How can we believe such calendar ?

 

How to vaccine millions of students... before november 1 ? Plus the fact that with Pfizer there are 3 weeks between dose 1 and dose 2.

 

The maths do not add up, as usual.

 

So the question is : what will happen november 1 ? Only the schools in Bangkok will be able to reopen ? What about up country ?

 

What about the children in primary, less than 12 years old ?

 

What will happen if parents say "no" and the target (?) of let's say 70 % off vaccinated children per school can't be achieved ?

 

So many questions, and so little information.

Jai yen Jai yen.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

From a health perspective, I don’t really feel it’s necessary. But if it’s what has to be done these days so as to attend school, I guess it has to be done.

 

And not just attend to school, also to go in and out of Phuket freely, board planes, avoid quarantines etc, all require kids to be vaccinated to some degree. Might as well get it over with.

My fear is after a initial disastrous vaccine roll out, they over react and start jabbing anything that moves to show at last they are doing something.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sungod said:

 

Seems worrying......

 

Do benefits outweigh risks?

 

US researchers have suggested that healthy boys are more likely to develop a rare side-effect from the Pfizer jab – inflammation of the heart – than be hospitalized with COVID-19. Their analysis of medical data collected over a four-month period suggests that boys aged 12 to 15, with no underlying medical conditions, are four to six times more likely to be diagnosed with vaccine-related myocarditis than ending up in a hospital with COVID.

 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/what-children-and-parents-can-expect-from-thailands-vaccination-drive-for-kids/

 

 

 

The rare side effect is only after the 2nd dose of Pfizer. One dose of Pfizer gives 97% protection amongst this age group. Thailand should consider the research from UK and administer just the one dose to this age group

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its not been mentioned as far as I know, I also read they may decide to give Sinopharm to the kids here, it depends what article you read, so many announcements so many differing statements. For me currently so long as teachers and parents are vaccinated then that is the important first hurdle to get the schools open.

 

 

Many moons ago the very first order for Pfizer (20 million) was calculated as 10 million of it was for the Thai Student Vaccine Program.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious if children were to finish Matthayom 3 this year will the ones not fortunate enough to futher

Education get a passing wand right to farm work or anything available at that age.... my bro / sis in 

law have a son 14 this year. .. wish the importance of education give these children a better chance at

fkr the future..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...