E-Visa Stickerless System Starting On September 27th (Thai Embassy USA announcement)

• ubonjoe changed the title to E-Visa Stickerless System Starting On September 27th (Thai Embassy USA announcement)
2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Is there any rule prohibiting applying for a new visa while we are already in Thailand?

There is no info about that yet. But I suspect one of the requirements will a copy of a person's passport that may include a departure stamp uploaded for the application.

I assume their will be more info about it later. I checked the e visa site and their is no info there.

Interesting development. I'm curious what the rules will be like (physical presence where the embassy has jurisdiction at the time of application, etc.). As there are certain kinds of visas you can only apply for at the embassy in your country of residence / home country.

25 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Interesting development. I'm curious what the rules will be like (physical presence where the embassy has jurisdiction at the time of application, etc.).

I assume some proof will be needed to prove you are in the country where you applying for the visa or a country the embassy or official consulate is responsible for.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Interesting development. I'm curious what the rules will be like (physical presence where the embassy has jurisdiction at the time of application, etc.). As there are certain kinds of visas you can only apply for at the embassy in your country of residence / home country.

They may rely on proof of flight from their jurisdiction to Thailand as sufficient proof that you are physically present in the country. We shall see. Visas like Non O-A, Non O-X and (when reintroduced) multiple entry tourist visas can only be applied for in your home country (or country of residence).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume some proof will be needed to prove you are in the country where you applying for the visa or a country the embassy or official consulate is responsible for.

That will get funny within the EU once rolled out there. Realistically, all they can do is to ask people to apply at their passport country's Thai embassy.

Cambodia has had this for years (though temporarily suspended due to COVID). Very convenient and saves passport pages.

For Cambodia at least, it makes no difference where you are physic ally residing. As US citizen living in Thailand, I got Cambodian e-visa innumerable times. The visa is not issued by an Embassy but by Cambodian MFA and the whole process is contracted out to a firm in I think Singapore.

Remains to be seen if Thailand will be similar.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Cambodia has had this for years (though temporarily suspended due to COVID). Very convenient and saves passport pages.

But that was only for a tourist entry for 30 days. It replaced the visa on arrival.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

But that was only for a tourist entry for 30 days. It replaced the visa on arrival.

All Cambodian tourist visas are 30 days and no difference whether issued online, at airport or obtained at an Embassy.

In all cases, 30 days and can be extended once in-country for another 30 days.

Even after the online visa came in, could still get visa on arrival at airport, it did not replace it just became another avenue for getting it (and one that saved time at airport and passport pages - but at slightly higher cost, about $5 more IIRC).

• Like 2