Prominent doctor calls for one-month delay to Thailand’s border reopening

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Troublemakers.

Lyrics from his favourite song....(Peter Allen)

And soon they'll all know his name

He'll have fortune and fame

When he gets his name in lights

That'll be his name spelt right

Edited by DrJack54

They will be lots of people who think Oct is too soon.The jabs are being given out now to everyone,but always supply and demand will have a affect.If Oct is the time or not I think Nov or Dec is more realistic.Oct would be nice if things are right,good for thailand and tourist.I will wait and see when Oct comes like many.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr. Prasit Watanapa, dean of the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital of Mahidol University, is suggesting that the government take the “Phuket Sandbox” scheme into account before reopening borders on October 1st, cautioning that the country is not yet ready, due to low rates of vaccination. The reopening date should be pushed back a 1 month to ensure that Thailand is ready.

Some sense at last.

TAT wanting to go full steam ahead [didn't work-out too well in Phuket]

doctors and some businessmen saying we're not ready to open

and the CCSA/government in  the middle without a clue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr. Prasit Watanapa, dean of the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital of Mahidol University, is suggesting that the government take the “Phuket Sandbox” scheme into account before reopening borders on October 1st, cautioning that the country is not yet ready, due to low rates of vaccination. The reopening date should be pushed back a 1 month to ensure that Thailand is ready.

another doc for attitude adjustment

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

It is the vaccinated tourists who take the risk , not the thais .

Vaccinated tourists will not infect thai people more than thai people do .

But if they decide to further delay the opening , more thai people will suffer economically . That will not help the government .

They will open just as planned .

If you open, and create an environment for tourism, you necessarily bring more Thais into contact with each other.  So, it's not JUST the tourists that are at risk by opening up.  You'll also be accelerating the spread by having more contact between the locals.  

I just don't understand why they can't just wait till the middle of December.  Then, ostensibly, there will be 70% of the population double vaccinated.  Not that 70% is ideal, especially since part of that 70% is double Sinovac, but it's a heck of a lot better than opening when only 20% of the population is double vaccinated, and some again only with Sinovac.  

I understand the economic peril for the Thai people, and I know it's awful, but I think opening too early will cause Thailand to get a black eye, remain on Red lists, discourage the return of tourists, and will ultimately delay the return the tourism sector back to helping those Thai who depend on it.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Can't understand why so many Ex Pat's are so keen to open the doors

my reason - i would like to visit home but I can’t reasonably do that until the 2 week Thai quarantine upon my return is removed. 

ask yourselves this, does letting in fully vaccinated and negative tested people (whether ‘foreigners’ or returning Thai citizens/residents) really raise the risk or make things any worse in Thailand ? In fact, if we are aiming for herd immunity approach, “importing” fully vaccinated people would be a tremendous idea would it not !!

• Like 1