The Forgotten Vaccine: Russia’s Sputnik V in Thailand and Southeast Asia

webfact

thediplomat_2021-09-17.jpg

Credit: Depositphotos

Despite all the hype and promises, Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine has made few inroads in Southeast Asia.

By Tita Sanglee

Back in late April, Thailand announced plans to purchase Russia’s Sputnik V, the world’s first registered COVID-19 vaccine. Given the Thai government’s desperation to diversify vaccine supplies and Sputnik V’s portrayal as a decent alternative to the mRNA vaccines that are difficult to manufacture and store, the announcement was much hyped. But, four months later, Sputnik V has mysteriously vanished from the public discourse.

Sputnik V’s endorsement process has been moving at a very slow pace. Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has yet to approve the Russian vaccine for import and domestic distribution. At a broader level, the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has allowed international visitors vaccinated with Sputnik V to enter Phuket and other selected destinations under the Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension scheme to boost tourism. Even so, this rather modest move took weeks to finalize.

Sputnik V has made better progress in Thailand’s ASEAN neighbors, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, and the Philippines. Vietnam, for instance, has acquired the technology necessary for domestic production of Sputnik V and successfully produced the first test batch in July. Meanwhile, 380,000 doses of Sputnik V had been delivered to the Philippines as of September 13.

Full story: https://thediplomat.com/2021/09/the-forgotten-vaccine-russias-sputnik-v-in-thailand-and-southeast-asia/

Diplomat.jpg

The thai fda has yet to approve sputnik, said to be a paperwork <deleted>.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/40002066

I think russian tourists fully vaccinated with sputnik can enter thailand via the lowered quarantine sandbox schemes.

russian internet trolls extoll the virtues of sputnik, while denigrating vaccines generally. Oof.

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Back in late April, Thailand announced plans to purchase Russia’s Sputnik V, the world’s first registered COVID-19 vaccine. Given the Thai government’s desperation to diversify vaccine supplies and Sputnik V’s portrayal as a decent alternative to the mRNA vaccines that are difficult to manufacture and store, the announcement was much hyped. But, four months later, Sputnik V has mysteriously vanished from the public discourse.

I read somewhere that Hungary sent back a whole supply of Sputnik as it didn't match with the original samples?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Can say the same  about many UK  folk now, tattoo  covered  skinheads seems the norm

I did not see others being held up by their wives in the airport like them, nor wandering about the Malls shirtless, or beating up bar owners because they couldn't pay. I agree as to the decline of the UK though.... 

Edited by jacko45k

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It seems a shame many give a far from stellar impression when they come to visit Thailand. They come across as rough and uncouth, and quick to become aggressive. 

I never seen rude ruskies at Phuket, or Samui. But ive seen plenty in Pattaya.

It looks like excuisite russians go as far as possible from Pattaya and rude guys from Siberia goin on tour packages in Pattaya and dont know any best.

Imagine working on a gas or oil fields around bears and wolfes for months. Ofcourse ud go very crazy very fast.

Same with brits in Palma and Benidorm. Same with italians on octoberfest. Same with aussies in Kuta beach.

U tell it like all westerners walkin around Thailand with books discussing greek philosophers. Waiting for 5o clock cuppa with a freaking pinky out! 

So dont post ur xenophobic BS here. We all like this.

Edited by boogiewoogie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Sputnik V is a viral vector vaccine that uses 2 different adenovirus, eg. like the common cold virus.

Is this the same as an mRNA based vaccine like Moderna?

The delivery system is different but it does deliver mRNA that will trigger cells to create the spikes.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:08 PM, boogiewoogie said:

So dont post ur xenophobic BS here. We all like this.

You have no authority here so keep it to yourself please. 

I don't make the comments from imaginings.

Edited by jacko45k

On 9/18/2021 at 5:41 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

I would never underestimate the  Russians they are a  smart  people,  just  look at their rocket engines  reborn and still used today when the USA said that type was impossible. I  like the Russians I remember my parents going on a  holiday back in 1970's from the UK  to  Russia, neither have any Russian blood  but they found  the place facinating and the Russians  very friendly.

slidess (2479).JPG

I used to work at the factory where Salyut 6 was outfitted and the visiting vehicles were built. So, my Russian is pretty decent. If you can talk to a Russian in their language, they are a lot friendlier. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You have no authority here so keep it to yourself please. 

I don't make the comments from imaginings.

Ive seen people like you.

"Pattaya, the magic place. Right after Nam, during Carter administration.

What a magic place it was. I was younger, girls were prettier, cheaper. Beer was smoother. Smiles were real. Now its all gone, russians came and everything changed"

Nothing changed u lame tool. Only things that changed is ur prostatitis and hemmorhoids.

PS and by the way. Jomtien russians blame chinese for everything whats goin on in Pattaya. So dont worry. Few decades and chinese gonna blame ur countryman for everything whats wrong in Pattaya.

2 minutes ago, boogiewoogie said:

PS and by the way. Jomtien russians blame chinese for everything whats goin on in Pattaya. So dont worry. Few decades and chinese gonna blame ur countryman for everything whats wrong in Pattaya.

There won't be any left......