Buriram’s fried pork balls more popular than ever!

Jonathan Fairfield

2601daf048bb23fd412d9c3baeda2437_small.jpeg

BURIRUM (NNT) - The popularity of South Korea-based Thai rapper Lisa, especially her latest music video, has brought a flood of customers to Buriram for a taste of the local pork balls.

Their overwhelming popularity has even influenced the province’s annual Pork Ball Festival, which feature a thank you message to the K-Pop star, for making the local street menu so well known across the world.

Buriram Province yesterday kicked off this year’s local pork ball festival, featuring the sale of pork balls from various sellers and a pork ball eating contest.

This year’s festival is held with social distancing measures strictly enforced. Customers are not allowed to have food from the street menu served on the spot, but must order the pork balls as a takeaway for home consumption only.

The sale of the local pork balls is also available online this year, with special promotions and discounts offered both at the venue and on the event’s Facebook page.

The pork ball eating contest allows competitive eaters to compete with last year’s champion, aiming to set a new record. Separate contests are held offering male and female categories.

The opening ceremony of the event yesterday, featured a thank you message to Lisa, the South Korean-based Thai member of the K-Pop group Blackpink, who was born in Buriram province, and has helped make the regional delicacy even more popular.

Her interview in a local talk show program helped boost the sale of pork balls in Buriram province, as the K-Pop star said she missed the province and the local pork ball stalls.

Following the interview, fans of Lisa started traveling to Buriram province, bringing many visitors to join the pork ball festival, and bringing energy back to the province, where things had become quiet due to the pandemic.

Interest in Buriram’s pork ball specialty, has also grown among the singer’s international fans, with orders for pork balls now pouring in from Australia, the United States, and South Korea.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Have contacted a few young people from my circle of acquaintances in the UK, in Germany, France, Ukraine, Turkey, Spain, California and a few more locations, asking them if they had heard of "South Korea-based Thai rapper, Lisa" and what they thought about Buriram pork meatballs.

Unsurprisingly, their replies have been quite uniform so far: "Lisa who?" "Buriram what?" "Meatballs?"

From Thai people living in those countries, no doubt, i.e. NOT "international fans" but Thai fans.

These obnoxious NNT news articles are always sooo misleading and nationalistic.  

Nothing wrong with local news, it's for the locals and nothing obnoxious about this article...Perhaps if you'd asked some young people in 'your circle' from Asia and Korea if they had heard of Blackpink you may have got a different response........................

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Buriram Province yesterday kicked off this year’s local pork ball festival, featuring the sale of pork balls from various sellers and a pork ball eating contest.

The phrase pork balls is used with glee throughout this article, but for me this paragraph is the winner...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Have contacted a few young people from my circle of acquaintances in the UK, in Germany, France, Ukraine, Turkey, Spain, California and a few more locations, asking them if they had heard of "South Korea-based Thai rapper, Lisa" and what they thought about Buriram pork meatballs.

Unsurprisingly, their replies have been quite uniform so far: "Lisa who?" "Buriram what?" "Meatballs?"

From Thai people living in those countries, no doubt, i.e. NOT "international fans" but Thai fans.

These obnoxious NNT news articles are always sooo misleading and nationalistic.  

It’s pop culture. You will never understand as you in the wrong age group. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bojo said:

Nothing wrong with local news, it's for the locals and nothing obnoxious about this article...Perhaps if you'd asked some young people in 'your circle' from Asia and Korea if they had heard of Blackpink you may have got a different response........................

I think you completely misinterpreted my comment.

I am sure that Lisa – or rather, "Blackpink", the group of which she is a member – enjoys a substantial following in Asia. If I had actually mentioned “Blackpink”, the name perhaps would even have resounded with some of the rap lovers that I messaged in Europe and elsewhere. The few “Blackpink” music videos that I have personally watched look very professionally produced and the songs are snappy. No complaints there. 

But that was not the point of my comment. Rather, I wanted to refute the claim in the NNT news piece that “Buriram pork meatballs” have suddenly sprung to fame and glory [quote] “ACROSS THE WORLD” just because of that song.

Even IF “Buriram pork meatballs” WERE more than fleetingly mentioned in that particular song, “Lalisa”, very, very few music fans outside of Thailand would develop an irresistible urge to want to taste them.

Secondly, not more than a tiny handful – if any - international fans would recognize the backdrop in the video as a scaled model of Phanom Rung temple in Buriram, let alone be aware that a Thai province called Buriram even exists.

Additionally, that backdrop appears all but a couple, three seconds in the 4-minute clip and is easily missed if you don’t purposefully watch out for it.

Yet the NNT article makes it sound as if “Buriram” and its oh so famous pork meatballs have become “talk of the town” in a myriad of countries around the globe and EVERYBODY has succumbed to "meatball frenzy" now. But not just any meatballs. No. Got to be “Buriram pork meatballs”!

THAT is what I meant with “obnoxious”. Why does every other NNT news story have to carry that nationalistic spin to it that Thailand and Thai culture are somehow relevant to the world at large? They are not.

You are correct, there is nothing wrong with local news. Yet… if you DO publish local news intended for a local audience, better make sure to let it come across as such. Don’t dress it up as news that a rap song produced in South Korea whose performing group by pure chance also includes a Thai-born artist has been triggering “Buriram pork meatball fever” WORLDWIDE. It hasn’t.

P.S.: Good luck to the online buyers in Australia whose orders of Buriram pork meatballs have allegedly “flooded” local producers. These customers better brace themselves for some hefty fines, because importing meat products into Australia without a license is strictly illegal! It’s even worse when the product in question is made from RAW meat as in the case of the by now world-famous “Buriram pork meatballs”. The same goes for the UK, the EU and the United States, by the way. Some small consignments always slip through. But if you’re caught… oh dear!

15 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The phrase pork balls is used with glee throughout this article, but for me this paragraph is the winner...

There is a television reporter in the US named Rachel Maddow.  Rach is known for maintaining a masculine demeanor, among other things.

A few years ago there was a pro football scandal involving the amount of air inside of footballs (for more info look up "deflate gate").  Well, US media, being what it is, gave this way too much coverage.  Rach was openly intimidated by the continuous use of the word "balls" and vented this on her show one day (and not from a puritanical perspective).  Pretty amusing, IMO.

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Me & the Mrs saw the video on Friday night, we immediately loaded up the motor and drove the 300 odd kms to Buriram, I was knackered, but man those pork balls were the best ever.

Caution, traces of sarcasm may be found. 

Oh and the use of "knackered" lol pure genius. 

• Haha 1