Jump to content

Help with the new Toyota Yaris that I have just bought.


Recommended Posts

 

11 days ago I bought a new Toyota Yaris and am happy enough with it. It does not come with a spare, instead it has the electric pump and glue, so before buying I did specify that I wanted a spare tire and they did provide me with a full size spare tire. I bought a jack and wheel nut spanner so I am happy.

The Owners manual is in English but I have been assured that I will receive an manual in English 30 days after purchase. Thailand seems to like a lot of paper, I would much prefer a PDF computer file which must exist.

I do have 2 questions

1. Originally in the foam that fits in the spare wheel compartment was the glue and pump + the photo attached. Does anyone know what it is used for?  

2. The auto turning off of the engine. I have not tried but I think you can turn it off but you would have to turn it off every time you start the engine.

For instance I approach a traffic light on red, as I slow and lightly touch the break I hear the engine turn off. So far so good, the lights were going to stay on red for a long time as the count down was 120. If I keep my foot pushing down on the brake the engine keeps off but I suspect that the bright rear brake lights will be on (I need my gf to leap out and to check sometime).  So I put the hand brake on, engine still off but as soon as I move the gear stick from drive into neutral the engine starts up? Why?

Ideally I would want the engine to stay off but then come on when I put the gear stick back into Drive.  Any way to accomplish this without turning this “auto turn off” off every time?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

20210919_142345.jpg

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the metal cap thing in the photo fit over the pump's power connector (the thing that plugs in the car's electrical socket)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

Sorry I typed wrong. The Owners manual supplied is in Thai which I cannot read. 

Use your phone to read it, install Google translate, open it, translate Thai to English, click on camera, hold camera over words, then read..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, G Rex said:

No more funny comments about Madonnas' breast cover...

The automatic engine stop start , you should be able to leave the car in Drive , and the engine will stop when the car comes to rest.  It will start again (automatically) as soon as you press the accelerator/throttle/gofast pedal.  Putting the hand brake on means you don't have to keep your foot on the brake pedal. When you are set to go, just take off handbrake, press the pedal to the metal, and you are winning the green light speedway!

Thank you G Rex. After posting I then thought a bit and decided that to keep the engine off I would keep my foot on the break pedal even if the rear brake lights are on but I still need to check this.

But after reading your helpful comments it would be better to just put the handbrake on and release my foot off the brake pedal.

My memory is now not good, I think after putting the handbrake on the engine started when I removed my foot from the brake pedal ........... but I need to check again.

Thank you 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments.

I also have a Honda Scoopy and also keep the idle stop off but it remains off without having to turn it off every time. I then switch off if I stop at traffic lights with more than about 35 seconds to wait.

I’m not sure yet what type of battery is in the Yaris. As you need to turn the idle stop off every time you start the Yaris I thought I would see if I could use it in a good way with it on.

Concerning the Owner’s Manual. When looking for information I usually find the internet very good but occasionally not. I have had a look and actually downloaded a 2020 Yaris Owners Manual as a PDF file but it is not the actual correct manual.

I registered at the Toyota Yaris Owners club, it prompted for me to enter the VIN number which I did several times but always had a message that it is an invalid number. I entered the 17 digit VIN number by copy and paste and also manually, I think it is a known fault. Going to the download section it states no Owner’s Manual.

It's a good suggestion to telephone the head office but at the moment I will see if the sales lady obtains it for me when I go for the free 1000 km service.

For many years in the UK Manuals have been provided as PDF files which I think is ideal for everyone including the Planet.

I will also ask at that time about the metal cylinder.

Thanks

Keith  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

Thanks for the comments.

I also have a Honda Scoopy and also keep the idle stop off but it remains off without having to turn it off every time. I then switch off if I stop at traffic lights with more than about 35 seconds to wait.

I’m not sure yet what type of battery is in the Yaris. As you need to turn the idle stop off every time you start the Yaris I thought I would see if I could use it in a good way with it on.

Concerning the Owner’s Manual. When looking for information I usually find the internet very good but occasionally not. I have had a look and actually downloaded a 2020 Yaris Owners Manual as a PDF file but it is not the actual correct manual.

I registered at the Toyota Yaris Owners club, it prompted for me to enter the VIN number which I did several times but always had a message that it is an invalid number. I entered the 17 digit VIN number by copy and paste and also manually, I think it is a known fault. Going to the download section it states no Owner’s Manual.

It's a good suggestion to telephone the head office but at the moment I will see if the sales lady obtains it for me when I go for the free 1000 km service.

For many years in the UK Manuals have been provided as PDF files which I think is ideal for everyone including the Planet.

I will also ask at that time about the metal cylinder.

Thanks

Keith  

Is the Thai yaris sold elsewhere in this spec? If not, it may not be possible to get a manual in english. The Philippines has a yaris but it is 1.3L 98HP, which I believe, is not the Thai spec car. 

 

When I got an english manual for a civic many years ago, it was for the 1.7L engine, not the 2.0L (which mine is). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, transam said:

Use your phone to read it, install Google translate, open it, translate Thai to English, click on camera, hold camera over words, then read..

Useful to know in some circumstances. I did try but it is not that good for browsing the Owners Manual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2021 at 3:09 PM, Keith5588 said:

So I put the hand brake on, engine still off but as soon as I move the gear stick from drive into neutral the engine starts up? Why?

Ideally I would want the engine to stay off but then come on when I put the gear stick back into Drive.  Any way to accomplish this without turning this “auto turn off” off every time?

Any help appreciated.

It’s unlikely that there is any way to achieve what you want. There are also a lot of technical writers who disagree with moving the drive into neutral at short stops. This habit comes from best practices for manual drive cars where you will kill a clutch fast by not using neutral 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kieth did you not have a test drive before you purchased a new vehicle the sales staff should of taken you though the workings of the vehicle maybe you should go back to the showroom and get them to spend 30 minutes with you to demonstrate how everything works !

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s unlikely that there is any way to achieve what you want. There are also a lot of technical writers who disagree with moving the drive into neutral at short stops. This habit comes from best practices for manual drive cars where you will kill a clutch fast by not using neutral 

I think you are right.

 

Today I did a few tests. When I stopped with my foot on the brake pedal the engine stopped. I keep my foot pushing down on the brake pedal and the engine remained off, at this time the brake lights are on. When I applied the hand brake as well as the foot brake the engine remained off. Doing almost anything else e.g. shifting the gear lever to Neutral, lifting my foot off the brake pedal, even undoing my drivers seat belt or opening the drivers door causes the engine to start.

I fail to understand why it is programmed to restart the engine if I move the gear lever to Neutral, undoing my seat belt or opening my drivers door?

I did stop at red lights that were counting down from 120, I kept my foot on the brake but when the count was down to about 70 the engine started, maybe I was not pressing hard enough down on the brake, I need to test it again.

When I stopped at a small T junction, only a very short stop, the engine stopped, then almost immediately started again as I applied the accelerator …….. that to me was definitely wrong but the car had no way of knowing.

I do admit that being 68 years old and until now only owning old cars in the UK that I tend to want to preserve the older battery and starter motor, thus I only turned the engine off I knew I had to wait at traffic lights a long time.

I need to test more but at the moment it is looking like I would prefer the auto stop start to be off as I can decide better than the car. A shame that you need to turn it off every time you switch the engine off and on again.

 

On a different subject the sales lady today dropped off the Owners Manual in English which is great. I did ask if I could have it as a computer PDF file but was told they do not have a PDF file. It is difficult for me to understand why many places in Thailand prefer to have manuals and documents printed out on paper. Thai Immigration must have about 50 copies of the same pages of my passport even though the same details are saved digitally on their database, I can’t even imagine where they all are?  

 

I will contact Toyota head office later to try to obtain the PDF file.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2021 at 3:09 PM, Keith5588 said:

So I put the hand brake on, engine still off but as soon as I move the gear stick from drive into neutral the engine starts up?

Try putting it into park and then taking your foot off the brake. Might have to give it a second or two before taking your foot off the brake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

then almost immediately started again as I applied the accelerator …….. that to me was definitely wrong but the car had no way of knowing.

The engine is supposed to start again if you apply the accelerator.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

I did stop at red lights that were counting down from 120, I kept my foot on the brake but when the count was down to about 70 the engine started, maybe I was not pressing hard enough down on the brake

Did you have the a/c running at the time? The car will restart the engine for the purpose of running the a/c if it thinks the temperature inside is increasing.

 

In the above case, you should see a message saying that its re-starting the engine for "climate control". 

Edited by nahkit
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Kieth did you not have a test drive before you purchased a new vehicle the sales staff should of taken you though the workings of the vehicle maybe you should go back to the showroom and get them to spend 30 minutes with you to demonstrate how everything works !

I did not have a test drive. I know more experienced people would have. The fact was that I had not driven a car for over 4 years and before that always a manual gear change car. I wanted and did take it slow and easy for the first day or two. Also the car I would test drive would not be the actual car I would buy.

I am now happy with the car, they did find me a spare wheel and charged a reasonable 2,500 baht. They wanted too much for a scissor jack and wheel nut spanner but I have these now, including a tube that fits over the wheel spanner to give extra leverage.

I am not sure that they would have explained the auto stop start satisfactorily, also not many here in Isaan speak good English, and I cannot understand Thai language. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nahkit said:

The engine is supposed to start again if you apply the accelerator.

I meant that it was wrong to stop the engine and restart it again less than 1 second later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

On a different subject the sales lady today dropped off the Owners Manual in English which is great. I did ask if I could have it as a computer PDF file but was told they do not have a PDF file.

They don’t have it on the website but the 2019 one is probably what you have printed  and it is there

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals.yaris.2019

 

3 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

I fail to understand why it is programmed to restart the engine if I move the gear lever to Neutral, undoing my seat belt or opening my drivers door?

It is designed to stop the engine if you stop the car in traffic or at traffic lights. Anything other than using the foot brake is not communicated correctly to the ECU computer as a temporary stop, and it shouldn’t be, so anything else you do will cause a restart. Also if the AC needs to cool the interior the engine will restart.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked for the auto start gadget to be disconnected on my Almera but Nissan was reluctant to do so. But there is a manual switch to turn it off. I found it to be dangerous when I forgot to switch it off. Waiting to turn right off a minor road on to a major road, to my right there was some straight road but not far away the road bent to the right. So I checked both right and left nothing coming but pulling out fast was needed just in case something was travelling from the blind bend. There was plenty of time or so I thought but I did not take into account the delay of the engine re starting. Half way accross the road and a car appeared from the blind bend. We did not collide but the other driver was not very happy.

As a mechanic I do not think it is a good idea to have the starter motor acctuating many times a day. I did do a check and the fuel saving was minimal with the auto start. Maybe it would be good if the auto start worked the other way and had to be switched on and not off.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

I need to test more but at the moment it is looking like I would prefer the auto stop start to be off as I can decide better than the car. A shame that you need to turn it off every time you switch the engine off and on again.

A new battery in Thailand is unlikely to last much beyond 3~4 years, though the batteries fitted to new cars seem to be better quality and may last a little longer, one thing you can do to extend the life is keep the maximum temperature down, since this comes after you stop the engine after a reasonable length trip, opening the bonnet for 10~20 minutes will help. Of course you can only do this at home but it will reduce the number of heat cycles the battery is subjected to.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...