Posting Large Items From Bkk To Si Sa Ket

DirkGently

The carrot and stick approach towards my neices seems to be be working in regards to their education.

During their last visit to the city I noticed that family members who should have been right on it, didn't seem to know the name of their daughter's school. After seething for a few days I decided to take matters into my own hands. It would be a crying shame for these great kids to end up sweeping leaves in the park for want of a decent education. So my wife and I struck a deal with the kids that we would send them to school with all new gear and trendy pencil cases full of stuff on the firm understanding that they work extra hard at school.

Anyway, the grades are good and attendance is perfect so I have decided to send a bike for them to ride to school. The question is how the hel_l do I do it. I don't want to send money and hope somebody there knows what a quality bike looks like.

Any suggestions of how I can post a large item?

We've had large items sent to us on the train. They could collect them from the station.

The big bike shop on Thanon Lukmuang in Sisaket has a good selection of bikes.

I looked at a couple of mountain bike styles. There was one with 6 speed shimano gears for B2,800 and another 12 speed shimano gear for B3,200 before discount. Standard pushbikes varied greatly in quality and were a lot cheaper.

I dare say BKK will have a bigger selection with cheaper prices.

Edit to add extra info.

Edited by Farma

Thanks for that farma, but I would rather send the bike as I don't know if anyone at the other end would know a decent bike and of course the kids would pick the nicest colour. However it's good to know there are such shops there.

Ray23, I'm interested in how. Obviously a pushbike will be much lighter. Did you just wheel it in to a post office and attach a tag to it? Did you need to wrap it in any way for protection?

Plus I think the thrill of a postman knocking on your door with a bike is more exciting than cash and choosing your own.

Thanks chaps.

I called into a post office here in BKK and they said Could just load it into one of their vans.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Oddly they said if it was complete then it would be cheaper than if it has bars turned and remains in its packageing.