Jump to content

UK continues its refusal to recognise vaccines administered in Thailand


Recommended Posts

I doubt it has anything to do with the quality of the vaccines. But everything to do with not trusting the certificate that travelers bring with them. This came out with India where it seems Rs. 5000 buys you a fake. Once there's a way to instantaneously cross-verify with the source country (international DB) should be fine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The UK government needs to explain why Astra Zeneca in Thailand is not the same as Astra Zeneca in the UK. It's time for the Ambassador to demand an explanation and for the government to provide one.

It may  have a lot to do with Thailand's continuing use of Chinas Sinovac and Sino pharm vaccines which i can fully understand .

If they're going to impede vaccinated British citizens' ability to return to the UK, then it's incumbent upon them to explain exactly why they're doing so.   My guess is that they're most wo

Posted Images

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the UK still does not consider people who have been vaccinated in Thailand, even if they have received two doses of the same vaccine, as being “fully vaccinated”.

I presume this also applies to us UK ex-pats in Cambodia. Sinovac and Sinopharm are THE vaccines. In my case Sinovac as recommended by my doctor for a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic. This morning I received my free 2nd vaccination of Sinovac. Donated "Western" vaccines are being used as priority third booster jabs for frontline personnel. When I enquired about getting a third booster jab, I got a bewildered look and "we have no idea - could be 3 months or 6 months, no vaccine at the moment".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be trust issues. Most of the good  vaccines have been donated by other countries so its the same stuff  used in the uk. So it seems like the uk not trusting Thailand in giving it out. Even if the certificates say pfzer and the media saying 70% vaccinated

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, keith101 said:

It may  have a lot to do with Thailand's continuing use of Chinas Sinovac and Sino pharm vaccines which i can fully understand .

I live in Chiang Mai where expats age 35+ could all go for Pfizer.
I am 61 and got the 2nd jab yesterday. The next age groups will follow in the next days.
Some expats just could not wait a few weeks and did chose the Sino/AZ mix. Not Thailand's fault...

Link to post
Share on other sites

If possible, why not travelling to an EU country, book a cheap hostel/hotel, get the jabs there(dont worry, side effects will appear in 30 years), then UK?

 

Oh, wait, I forgot about Nigel Farage and his NHS buses...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Although obviously not Sinovac as one of the combinations

Thats going to be a big problem.

 

Many countries aren't going to recognize Sinovac.

 

Many people new this.

 

But still this government in its infinite wisdom is determined to keep using it.

 

Its hobbling not only the economy but peoples chances to travel for business.  

 

Businesses recognize this.

 

Another mistep by the hub of "misteps", Thailand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I doubt it has anything to do with the quality of the vaccines. But everything to do with not trusting the certificate that travelers bring with them. This came out with India where it seems Rs. 5000 buys you a fake. Once there's a way to instantaneously cross-verify with the source country (international DB) should be fine.

To be fair, their will no doubt be exacting vaccine production procedures.

Your certificate validity makes sense.

Can't imagine a digital global solution to certificates anytime soon with the state of global politics.

The whole thing is a complete mess, tit for tat retaliation will no doubt ensue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So what are the best options for a 10-day stopover for a UK national - double AZ'd in Thailand - who for some crazy reason wants/needs to get back to the UK for a bit? Somewhere that doesn't require quarantine for people who have come from Thailand and is not on the UK's red list. Obviously would still have to home quarantine in the UK until they fix the issue of not recognising vaccines delivered in Thailand, but at least would avoid hotel the UK's quarantine ripoff nightmare.

 

US? Dubai? Parts of Europe?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chrwil said:

So what are the best options for a 10-day stopover for a UK national - double AZ'd in Thailand - who for some crazy reason wants/needs to get back to the UK for a bit? Somewhere that doesn't require quarantine for people who have come from Thailand and is not on the UK's red list. Obviously would still have to home quarantine in the UK until they fix the issue of not recognising vaccines delivered in Thailand, but at least would avoid hotel the UK's quarantine ripoff nightmare.

 

US? Dubai? Parts of Europe?

 

Turkey, Egypt , Greece and a few other places 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I presume this also applies to us UK ex-pats in Cambodia. Sinovac and Sinopharm are THE vaccines. In my case Sinovac as recommended by my doctor for a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic. This morning I received my free 2nd vaccination of Sinovac. Donated "Western" vaccines are being used as priority third booster jabs for frontline personnel. When I enquired about getting a third booster jab, I got a bewildered look and "we have no idea - could be 3 months or 6 months, no vaccine at the moment".

Cambodia is on the 'amber list' at the moment. They're scrapping that soon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So one question, going forward, would be,  When is your double vaccination certificate past it's sell by date?  In the UK a third (booster) jab is recommended for the over 50's. I am getting mine shortly. If that is needed then the protection from the original two vaccinations obviously weakens with time.  Do I then need a new certificate showing the booster jab has been given, and if so, when? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You could also consider that the UK does so many tests that it finds so many more cases.

They could easily do 50,000 tests per day like Thailand and find only a few thousand but would that change anything?

 

They could also stop sequencing the genomes or continue to do it in secret and tell nobody - that would solve the variant problem wouldn't it? 🙄

From what I’m being told from people in the U.K., everyone I know has either had it or know many people who have. My experience here in Thailand is quite different. I do however agree with you about testing. I just don’t believe the situation here is anywhere near as bad. 
I also have a lot of connections in Italy and my understanding from them is that they have fared considerably better than the UK 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ukrules said:

In just 6 months time everyone who's been vaccinated at any time before now will be regarded as unvaccinated anyway.

Do you care to explain this statement and back it up with some facts or is this conjecture on your part?  Unvaccinated after 6 months? I think maybe what your alluding to is that the efficacy and antibodies may be waning and folks might need a booster, not be re-vaccinated with 2 more doses.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, medina21 said:

The UK government needs to explain why Astra Zeneca in Thailand is not the same as Astra Zeneca in the UK. It's time for the Ambassador to demand an explanation and for the government to provide one.

 

The Ambassador is a bit busy holding cocktail parties and munching Ferrero Rocher, but he's promised to look into the matter some time in 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the surprising and amazing world of "Covid"... more a geopolitical matter rather than a "health" issue...

 

You were warned.

 

And to be fair, it's global.

 

China for instance doesn't recognize... Pfizer ! A chinese private company made a deal with Pfizer to import their product... Guess what.... Several months later.... the chinese authorities haven't moved a finger to approve the deal...

 

Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-27/china-misses-target-on-biontech-pfizer-shot-raising-questions

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chrwil said:

So what are the best options for a 10-day stopover for a UK national - double AZ'd in Thailand - who for some crazy reason wants/needs to get back to the UK for a bit? Somewhere that doesn't require quarantine for people who have come from Thailand and is not on the UK's red list. Obviously would still have to home quarantine in the UK until they fix the issue of not recognising vaccines delivered in Thailand, but at least would avoid hotel the UK's quarantine ripoff nightmare.

 

US? Dubai? Parts of Europe?

 

 

France is nice, and accepts anyone who is double-jabbed - at least, they did a few weeks ago last time I checked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

From what I’m being told from people in the U.K., everyone I know has either had it or know many people who have. My experience here in Thailand is quite different. I do however agree with you about testing. I just don’t believe the situation here is anywhere near as bad. 
I also have a lot of connections in Italy and my understanding from them is that they have fared considerably better than the UK 

How do they know..?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, medina21 said:

The UK government needs to explain why Astra Zeneca in Thailand is not the same as Astra Zeneca in the UK. It's time for the Ambassador to demand an explanation and for the government to provide one.

The UK is also not recognising any vaccination certificates issued in India, including those for Indian AZ which is actually approved in the UK because they imported several million doses and administered them. There was an issue that France would not accept Brits vaccinated in the UK with Indian AZ and the UK protested.  

 

For now its about the trustworthiness of the certificates rather than the vaccines.  I think they will eventually accept Thai certificates for AZ, Pfizer or Moderna.  When they refer to mix and match, they mean AZ+Pfizer or Moderna, not Sinovac or Sinopharm.  I don't think they can recognise Chinese or Russian vaccines because they haven't approved them and believe they are ineffective against delta. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

My guess is that they're most worried about the lack of testing. They're concerned that if a new virus appears, it won't be picked up. But we shouldn't have to guess. They should tell us the reason (and also tell the Thai government). 

Knowing their reasons would not make any difference to returning UK citizens' quarantine issues, the policy will still be in place.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

You will eventually get a reply similar to this. 😎

 

Thank you for your correspondence of 29 June and 19 July about British National access to COVID-19 vaccines in Thailand. There are no plans to roll out the UK’s COVID-19 vaccination programme to British nationals overseas. As with all other forms of medical treatment, British Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates do not provide vaccinations to British nationals resident in, or temporarily visiting, a foreign country. We are closely monitoring the provision of vaccines for British nationals in all foreign countries, including Thailand. The Thai government has confirmed that they are making the vaccine available, free of charge, to all resident foreign nationals. However, we understand your frustration as the vaccination programme is currently restricted by limited supplies and in some areas, has been temporarily suspended. We have also been informed of situations where some British nationals have been turned away. As a priority we are working with the Thai government to ensure equal access for British nationals and to gain clarification on when the vaccine programme will recommence fully in Thailand. The Thai national vaccination programme is working on a prioritisation basis starting with the most vulnerable: those over 60 and with underlying health conditions. British nationals will be eligible when they meet the criteria of the relevant priority group and there are vaccine available. Further information on phases of the rollout is listed on

Ahh yes, I have had that reply to a different message. But the message I have sent is totally different asking why, if I have been vaccinated with Pfizer am I being discriminated against just because I live in Thailand?? So the answer, if I get one, will be interesting to read.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

So all the smug ones who thought they  would be in a better position with say 2 pzifers or 2 moderna's are not. The UK doesn't take Thailand seriously as a nation (unless they want some rice) so we're all in the same boat as far as any expat wanting to go to the UK. Suck on that.

You know it's like the Euro, some stores in Germany only accept the Euro from Germany. I thought they were all the same?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webfact said:

It is like the British government is punishing me for being an expat in Thailand”, a reader told ASEAN NOW.

“I have received two doses of AstraZeneca in Bangkok, which means I am fully vaccinated.

 

“But they (the UK govt) still won’t let me visit without going into quarantine

No it's because your in a red country you belter I'm in Germany had the same drama last year traveling through Holland even though I was just passing by to get the ferry

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The UK is also not recognising any vaccination certificates issued in India, including those for Indian AZ which is actually approved in the UK because they imported several million doses and administered them. There was an issue that France would not accept Brits vaccinated in the UK with Indian AZ and the UK protested.  

 

For now its about the trustworthiness of the certificates rather than the vaccines.  I think they will eventually accept Thai certificates for AZ, Pfizer or Moderna.  When they refer to mix and match, they mean AZ+Pfizer or Moderna, not Sinovac or Sinopharm.  I don't think they can recognise Chinese or Russian vaccines because they haven't approved them and believe they are ineffective against delta. 

So would you think they would accept the Mor Phrom app showing the certificate as being correct even though its in Thai as well as the certificate the hospital gave out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, smedly said:

I think this article is a bit deceptive, it is trying to blame the vaccine for Thailand being on the UK red list when in fact that is not actually true, someone vaccinated in to UK returning to the UK from Thailand is required to quarantine also - the vaccine has nothing to do with it

 

If Thailand was removed from the UK red list then they may in fact recognise AZ and Pfizer administered in Thailand but possibly not and of the Chinese vaccines 

Exactly.

 

The only fact is that the UK, for reasons of their own,
impose quarantine on travellers coming from Thailand.
The extension to "the UK still does not consider people
who have been vaccinated in Thailand, even if they have
received two doses of the same vaccine, as being
“fully vaccinated” " is an arbitrary statement
by the OP.

There is no equivalence of principle between having
to quarantine, and vaccines not being recognized.

 

For example, Thailand recognizes vaccinations made
in the UK, and yet arrivals in Bangkok must
quarantine for 14 days in SHA+ hotels.
(well, soon only 7d if vaccinated, let's hope)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s all theatre at this point. I get my second dose of AZ at the end of October,  I’m still wondering what’s the point if certain vaccines are not good enough for travelling internationally. 
 

many more months ahead of vaccine politics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...