Thailand’s Multidimensional Poverty Index lowest in ASEAN

snoop1130

AP21273408497192.jpg

AP Photo/ Gemunu Amarasinghe, File

Thailand’s Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) is 0.002, the lowest among all the ASEAN countries, according to a new report released by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) today (Wednesday).

The low index, compared to those of Myanmar (0.176), Cambodia (0.170), Laos (0.108), the Philippines (0.024), Viet Nam (0.019), and Indonesia (0.014), indicates improved economy, but the data is based on the pre-COVID times in 2019.

According to a recent analysis of the UNDP, the COVID-19 situation has exposed the vulnerabilities that originally existed in the system.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-multidimensional-poverty-index-lowest-in-asean/

Logo-top-.png

From Link : According to the latest survey, 176,000 people have risen above the poverty line, due to better access to basic utilities, such as sanitation, drinking water, electricity and housing.

I'm pretty sure 5 million people up have now fallen below the poverty line in the last 18 months ! 

8 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Let's see how much of a change Covid-19 created.

Also, isn't Singapore part of Asean? Is Thai MPI really lower than Singapore's? I doubt very much.

And Brunei?

Another good example that one cannot always trust statistics. I've been to a number of ASEAN countries, but Thailand is the only one where I've seen a large number of homeless people. -  Guess, for their "Multidimensional Poverty Index", they just took the GDP figure and divided it by a certain factor...

22 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

And Brunei?

Another good example that one cannot always trust statistics. I've been to a number of ASEAN countries, but Thailand is the only one where I've seen a large number of homeless people. -  Guess, for their "Multidimensional Poverty Index", they just took the GDP figure and divided it by a certain factor...

Not so. 

image.png.1ddd3e0358ae21c1199104069ca848c7.png

https://ophi.org.uk/multidimensional-poverty-index/