Jump to content

Poll -- do you take a daily dose of low dose aspirin?


Low dose aspirin  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, fvw53 said:

I agree with you except that living many years with low vitamin D3 can cause serious problems : since read about it on Youtube I asked at my yearly check up to include vitamin D level in the blood analysis..... and it was so low that I now take 5000 IU a day (I import from the USA and Thai customs do not tax it)

Dr put me on both vitamin B + D

 

Vitamin B12  500 mg 3 x week +  Vitamin B Complex 3x a day [B CO - ED]

 

vitamin D it was low so Dr put me on 20,000 IU 1 x a week, for over 3 years  in March this year Dr prescribed 2 x 20,000 IU  1x a week [said it would also help me not getting Covid] 

 

Dr said a shock dose 1 x per week was far better than a lower dose every day..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another crazy report from US. Why would anybody take meds, if they do not need it? Insane!

I had a mild heart attack and stent put in 5 yrs ago... started taking it then and for me, still advisable according to the article.   My best guess is it is best to take as few meds as poss

I used to. I don't now.   So this news from the U.S. is interesting to me.    I had been taking the low dose aspirin for about 20 years because of various risk factors, throug

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

I do not pretend to have any medical background either, but I usually lay it all down to common sense. As you can see that a lot of other readers do as well by checking the popularity of the post.

And again, aspirin is not a medicine that is made or engineered to be taken as preventive. You call it what you want. You have no clue about my education or professional level regarding any area. You say that you do not have any medical background. Without knowledge of any of the two, have can you be sure you can spot an uneducated view. To be able to do that it takes education, right? Something you just said you do not have.

 

So, Mr SuperAl. Just go back to popping your aspirin now.

May I suggest you proof read your post as it makes no sense , especially the writings in bold print .

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Someone mentioned Cardiprin , a few years ago I was told to stop taking.  I now take Amlopine 10 , 1 at night and 2 Enaril . My BP was high for a long time but on checking for my Sinovac jab my BP is normal.

Take my BP every morning sometimes evening as well....... severe allergic reaction to many Meds  so put back on the very old Meds  Atenolol/Prenolol 25mg every morning [have some 50 mg] + Enaril 10 mg  evenings + have some 20 mg....  have to take as per BP readings, mostly 25mg + 10mg, If to low then take non, or to high then take the higher dose  [this morning reading 137/68 Pulse 55]

 

Amlopine + other 'NEW' meds cannot take as have allergic reaction to them

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, superal said:

May I suggest you proof read your post as it makes no sense , especially the writings in bold print .

I think you understand. But I will help you. Instead of have it should be how. I take it as you only had proof reading to complain about you failed to deliver a relevant and on-topic response to the information.

Anyway, Happy popping!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, placeholder said:

So for all those years.  Doctors who were following the advice of the medical establishment were committing malpractice? Where did you get this legal  opinion from? The Journal of Disbarred Lawyers? 

You might want to look up the phrase "Standard Of Care".

 

Nah, no have to look that up, Mr. Placeholder. There are already enough facts and risks that talks against popping unnecessary pills. Look at history. There has always been doctors that goes against the grain and recommends eating medicine for lowering the risks of different illnesses. However, with that always follows a higher risk for other illnesses. Mostly comparable regarding how dangerous they are. Therefore one takes out the other and the result is Status Quo! Result is that you gain nothing by popping unnecessary pills.

Explanation of placeholder: An empty and unreadable place in the virtual world, where information in form of a picture or video should have been followed by an ALT-description that explains to both the validator and the reader what it might be and the reason for it. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Nah, no have to look that up, Mr. Placeholder. There are already enough facts and risks that talks against popping unnecessary pills. Look at history. There has always been doctors that goes against the grain and recommends eating medicine for lowering the risks of different illnesses. However, with that always follows a higher risk for other illnesses. Mostly comparable regarding how dangerous they are. Therefore one takes out the other and the result is Status Quo! Result is that you gain nothing by popping unnecessary pills.

Explanation of placeholder: An empty and unreadable place in the virtual world, where information in form of a picture or video should have been followed by an ALT-description that explains to both the validator and the reader what it might be and the reason for it. 😉

Your reply is entirely irrelevant to the point that you originally raised. Here it is once again

"There is no such thing as preventive medicine. If so, it is prescribed by a doctor based on an existing condition. If doctors recommend aspirin to people without ant existing conditions, they are committing malpractise which is to be seen as serious negligence."

What don't you understand about standard of care and the fact that doctors who prescribed aspirin as a preventative were in no way violating that standard.

 Since you're so fond of definitions, here's one for you

 

1.the branch of medical science that deals with prevention of disease.
2.a medication or other agent used for prophylaxis.
It's one thing not to be a native seaker of a language, quite another to offer claims about it that one is clearly not qualified to make.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would I bother w/ aspirin:

"Daily aspirin therapy: Understand the benefits and risks

The benefits of daily aspirin therapy don't outweigh the risk of bleeding in people with a low risk of heart attacks"
 
Almost as silly as a healthy person wearing a mask or getting a vaccine that doesn't protect you from getting or passing covid.🤣🤣🤣
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

COVID vaccinations being a current one.

I do not understand why so many want to compare popping pills with vaccinations. It´s two different things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, placeholder said:

Your reply is entirely irrelevant to the point that you originally raised. Here it is once again

"There is no such thing as preventive medicine. If so, it is prescribed by a doctor based on an existing condition. If doctors recommend aspirin to people without ant existing conditions, they are committing malpractise which is to be seen as serious negligence."

What don't you understand about standard of care and the fact that doctors who prescribed aspirin as a preventative were in no way violating that standard.

 Since you're so fond of definitions, here's one for you

 

1.the branch of medical science that deals with prevention of disease.
2.a medication or other agent used for prophylaxis.
It's one thing not to be a native seaker of a language, quite another to offer claims about it that one is clearly not qualified to make.

 

 

Pure bullish! What you are mentioning here and are calling preventive medicines, is in fact meds designed to prevent a certain condition. Then it is called medicine for things. Now, please tell me what aspirin is designed to prevent, without easing pain?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Pure bullish! What you are mentioning here and are calling preventive medicines, is in fact meds designed to prevent a certain condition. Then it is called medicine for things. Now, please tell me what aspirin is designed to prevent, without easing pain?

Honestly, your English here is confusing. Are you saying that because some medication was created for one condition it can't be used preventatively for another? And what does "medicine for things" mean?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Honestly, your English here is confusing. Are you saying that because some medication was created for one condition it can't be used preventatively for another? And what does "medicine for things" mean?

Really??? What I am saying is that medicine should not be used for something it is not designed for. Regarding medicine for things, is just an expression where I used a word for all instead of mentioning all different illnesses and conditions.

Better now? If not, don´t ask me again.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tgw said:

What bad news? I am out of the understanding this is a forum where we post out opinions. My opinion is still that medicine should not be used for something it is not designed for. How can your two links be bad news with that fact in mind?

 

While you are on it, you can also search for how many got bad effects out of using medicine for things they are not designed for. I am pretty sure that will be much more to weigh up the links you posted.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 4:11 PM, superal said:

When you stopped taking aspirin , did your vertigo stop ? so what blood thinners do you take now ? Reason for my interest is I had 2 strokes last year , now on statins , baby aspirin and amlodipine 10 mg and I have dizziness and loss of balance as soon as I stand up 

When i stopped the Asprin No the Vertigo didnt stop its with me 24/7, but  manageable using a stick as a third leg, after the stroke the doctor suggested  an Ultrasound on my Cartoid arteries, one was found to be danerously  blocked at  75%, so an operation & a  Stent  was fitted to give better quality of life, i take statins to control Cholesterol & a bBood thinner ( Clopidogrel), yesterday was my annual check  of everything to avoid another stroke,   & good news, eat, & exercise well

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, actonion said:

When i stopped the Asprin No the Vertigo didnt stop its with me 24/7, but  manageable using a stick as a third leg, after the stroke the doctor suggested  an Ultrasound on my Cartoid arteries, one was found to be danerously  blocked at  75%, so an operation & a  Stent  was fitted to give better quality of life, i take statins to control Cholesterol & a bBood thinner ( Clopidogrel), yesterday was my annual check  of everything to avoid another stroke,   & good news, eat, & exercise well

Many thanks for your reply . I have a suspicion that the above in bold could be my problem and I have been Googling to find a hospital to carry out the procedure . Can you advise where you went for the op and how much was the hospital fee please ?  How are you feeling now ? has the dizziness gone and your balance restored ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, superal said:

Many thanks for your reply . I have a suspicion that the above in bold could be my problem and I have been Googling to find a hospital to carry out the procedure . Can you advise where you went for the op and how much was the hospital fee please ?  How are you feeling now ? has the dizziness gone and your balance restored ?

Had my Ultrasound on my Carotid arteries done at Chula Hospital Bangkok [Red Cross. Rama 4]

 

 Amlodipine after a lot of tests and scans was the main problem, my balance somewhat better but still walk with sticks = better than in the wheelchair 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ignis said:

Had my Ultrasound on my Carotid arteries done at Chula Hospital Bangkok [Red Cross. Rama 4]

 

 Amlodipine after a lot of tests and scans was the main problem, my balance somewhat better but still walk with sticks = better than in the wheelchair 

 

Amlodipine , My doctor has just put me on them 10 mg . Do they narrow the arteries ? Thanks for the info and I will get in touch with the Chula hospital .  I was in a wheelchair , then a walking frame but now I can walk unaided about 200 meters  , albeit a little unsteady . I wish you all the best and thanks very much for your help .

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Medicine is prescribed or taken for a symptom or an active illness
  • Health supplement, healthy diet and exercise is used as preventive products.

exactly. Gottfrid has nailed it.

people believe & practice all kinds of emotional nonsense, contrary to numerous studies.

including yes malpracticing doctors whose training / experience is often lacking.

but hey carry on lazily taking your “short cut” drugs, ignoring clear aspirin risks of ulcers & uncontrolled internal bleeding, instead of proper but “ difficult” preventative diet & exercise.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, superal said:

Amlodipine , My doctor has just put me on them 10 mg . Do they narrow the arteries ? Thanks for the info and I will get in touch with the Chula hospital .  I was in a wheelchair , then a walking frame but now I can walk unaided about 200 meters  , albeit a little unsteady . I wish you all the best and thanks very much for your help .

Guess not but no idea. myself have severe allergic reaction to many med's since a child,  so 70 years....  

 

Think it is like everything in life, re BP the only reason it was changed was what I had been taking for 30 odd years was classed old, had 3 different Med's from 2015 all gave allergic reaction to me, took Amlodipine for almost 2 years + many scans and tests for the later 9 months........ now for past 1 year have been back on my [very old] meds and all a lot better, wheelchair and walking frame are upstairs unused..   walking sticks have 2 never use, have 1 with 3 legs rarely use, the one with 4 legs use every time I go out, helps to steady if feel wobbly 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a question once for my wife. Then the doctor tested for any Dengue she had unknowingly gone through in the past (obviously possible, maybe as a child). She tested positive. In this case it was not recommended to give Asprin. Maybe you want to bring this issue up with your doctor as well before to finally decide. Just a hint.

Link to post
Share on other sites

in tropics statistically everybody get dengue every 9 years, only 15% are symptomatic. That's why dengvaxia is not recommended for those staying in tropics less than 9 years and for locals over 45 yo.

I had dengue 2x, I had 3 shots of dengvaxia and I take aspirin. Risk of bleeding would be during serious, symptomatic dengue. Probably will be safe enough to stop aspirin when dengue suspected (usually there is an out brake in the community so we and local doctors are aware of situation). I think aspirin stays short time in the body, hence to be taken daily

Edited by internationalism
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, superal said:

Amlodipine , My doctor has just put me on them 10 mg . Do they narrow the arteries ? Thanks for the info and I will get in touch with the Chula hospital .  I was in a wheelchair , then a walking frame but now I can walk unaided about 200 meters  , albeit a little unsteady . I wish you all the best and thanks very much for your help .

 

Amlodipine does nto narrow the arteries. In fact, it tends to dilate them somewhat.

 

Common side effects with amlodipine are as follows. Note that they do not occur in all people nor even in most. But they do occur in some people:

  • swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs: People who stop taking this drug due to side effects, usually do so for this reason.
  • headache
  • upset stomach/nausea: pretty much any oral medicatuon may cause this and taking with food may help.
  • dizziness or light-headedness: any BP med may cause this and it may indicate a need to adjust dosage.
  • drowsiness, fatigue
  • flushing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

 I think aspirin stays short time in the body, hence to be taken daily

Before any surgery they tell you to stop it at least 14 days before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, internationalism said:

in tropics statistically everybody get dengue every 9 years, only 15% are symptomatic. That's why dengvaxia is not recommended for those staying in tropics less than 9 years and for locals over 45 yo.

I had dengue 2x, I had 3 shots of dengvaxia and I take aspirin. Risk of bleeding would be during serious, symptomatic dengue. Probably will be safe enough to stop aspirin when dengue suspected (usually there is an out brake in the community so we and local doctors are aware of situation). I think aspirin stays short time in the body, hence to be taken daily

 

Agree, there is no need to avoid aspirin because of a past dengue infection. It should however be avoided during a bout of dengue or suspected dengue. Though if on it for medical reasons (e.g. a stent or artifical valve in place, A-fib etc) consult your doctor befor stopping it.

 

Aspirin should be taken (on daily basis) only if medically indicated e.g. if certain risk factors present.  Earlier idea of  routine administration is obsolete, as  detailed studies have found that risks outweigh benefits in people without specific medical problems.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2021 at 9:15 AM, superal said:

Many thanks for your reply . I have a suspicion that the above in bold could be my problem and I have been Googling to find a hospital to carry out the procedure . Can you advise where you went for the op and how much was the hospital fee please ?  How are you feeling now ? has the dizziness gone and your balance restored ?

My balance  with never restore due to  losing my hearing overnight  that is connected to   a war pensions thing, nothing to do with stroke..

 

Re; The operation for blocked artery .i live in Chonburi so i went to the  Bangkok pattaya hospital to find a Neurologist surgeon ..and a price,  the surgeon i found  said he had'nt performed  many operations of this kind which obviously made me nervous, and i said good bye, he quoted 500, 000b  with zero complications  and a 2 night hospital stay.. I researched  all day and i found   what i think is the best man for the job In Bankok  he is Doctor  Roekchai  Tulyapronchote   Neurologist, ph; 02 011 3995..02011 2222    he said he has performed hundreds around the world  USA  Middle east, he is at Bumrungrad hospital   NANA  area of Bangkok ,he   too quoted 500,000 for a 2 day stay  But i had  extra time in ICU due to a very low blood pressure. & 100,000 was added..   Neurologist surgeons peforming this operation are few and far between here   i feel great since that   operation called Angioplasty Cartoid Angiogram .good luck

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...