Jump to content

New Immigration Bureau boss signals new orders so police can easily track down foreign suspects in Thailand


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Again, when was that? The biometrics are in full force since mid 2019.

Yes, August 2019, no one in my line in front was asked. Maybe on the blink. I motioned to the officer but he just waved me on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait a minute. It was no more difficult to capture this guy than it would be to capture a Thai suspect. In fact, because he is farang, it was probably easier. So now this triggers some sort of new vet

Sadly, whilst I do think increased vetting is a sensible idea, I suspect this initiative will result in a standard Thai "sledge hammer and nut" solution.   It's far easier to assume we are a

⭐🏆🏆💕Welcome millionaires!!💕🏆🏆⭐     Good move! 🥇I mean we are all rapists and thieves anyway. Right👍

Posted Images

What is this guy smoking, unbelievable. Sure no country wants foreign criminals but given the state of Thai offenders not prosecuted for whatever reasons I strongly suggest cleaning up the backyard first starting with corrupt officials. Foreigners see what's going on in Thailand with officials so try their luck, they would never do this in Singapore!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NightSky said:

 

.....

 

The problem is discriminating against ALL foreigners and not just the 'bad actors'.

 

They have already been creating a climate of fear for most if not all foreigners over the previous 6 years. Hence why many good contributing people have already left the country during that time.

 

The problem is discriminating against ALL foreigners and not just the 'bad actors'.

 

Discrimination is rife in the land of smiles.

 

 

What "climate of fear" ?

In two decades of dealing with Thai Immigration I have never been subjected to intimidation of any sort. In fact on two occasions where I was not in compliance with regulations I was fairly treated with humored discretionary dismissal of "offense" . Perhaps I have been lucky but my observation of those that have issues and therefore "fear" are generally knowingly in the wrong and are defiant about it.

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys never cease to amaze me, a while back when they would arrest a farange criminal the bib got hit with why cannot they keep these guys out, they must have finger prints and photos. Now that they are talking about keeping the bad guys out you guys go into shock. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dambuster said:

Police Lieutenant General Pakpoomphiphat Sajjapan has also revealed that under new entry vetting procedures, Thailand’s Immigration Police can now halt any passenger boarding a plane for Thailand if the person is deemed a threat to the security and well being of the country. 
 

Someone may need to tell the good Police Lieutenant General that the Thai Immigration Police have no jurisdiction outside of Thailand and cannot halt anybody boarding a plane for Thailand while on another nations sovereign soil. 
 

Just sayin’

Of course they can - it has nothing to do with jurisdiction in a foreign country. When Thai immigration receives passenger data through APIS, they can just send a message back through the airline's computer saying "do not board" a particular person. Since the carrier knows they'll be fined if they ignore that instruction, they will not board the passenger. In practice I've never heard of Thailand actually doing this, but other countries (like the US) do it all the time 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OishiRefill said:

...and heavy gold chain bracelet and necklace, a few heavy rings which could work like knuckle dusters, damaged skin from deliberate "sun bathing" (believing that it looks good in the selfies they send to their kids back home, who are also either criminals by the way or are messed up psychologically from their childhood circumstances), a strong cockney accent if from the UK, preferring to drink imported beer, have an ex-hooker wife, sit in groups exclusively comprised of others with a similar background and mindset, completely mistrusting and wary of Thai men, and probably on some fake documents - if poor and need to work as a teacher then they will have a fake BA/BSc, - if not so poor but still not rich enough for 800,000 then they will have a retirement visa or other non-O visa procured by means of paying an agency that forward cash to a corrupt immigration official. Have I missed anything?

YES. Having an arrest record UK, never should have been let in the Kingdom. For my country ban visa free travel and require FBI letter. 99 percent of the scum can be filtered this way.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possibly a "silly" statement to make but they should have been more vigilant in their duty all along as yes, he is right in that Thailand is a bit of a magnet for these "less than desirables"

Just to clarify for some of you,

any immigration officer just about anywhere in the world has the right to stop you from coming in or leaving  their country.

You may be surprised just how many Australians for example are denied boarding when heading for a holiday.

"Good guys in, bad guys out" is great, do I feel like a criminal here, NO

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this is broadcast overseas so that tourists will really feel the fear factor he wants and therefore refuse to entertain the idea of a holiday here.

Another numpty who thinks KGB, Stasi type measures are the way to treat people, the vast majority of whom are perfectly law abiding citizens.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Police Lieutenant General Pakpoomphiphat said that his goal would be to make foreigners entering Thailand for the purpose of criminal activity think twice and to create an environment where they are fearful of doing so."  

Great!  Except we, the law abiding masses, will be the ones that will face the brunt of these new measures.  What will they do?  Scrap the 90 day reporting and replace it with 30 day reporting for starters?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 6:49 PM, Oxx said:

What, the 90 day reporting isn't good enough to track down all these criminals quickly? Perhaps they should make it 7 day, or every day, reporting.  That would work.

I don't see a problem with submitting a criminal background check when applying/renewing Visa. I mean we do it now when we get a new job (or at least my job makes new applicants agree to one).

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 4:45 PM, webfact said:

Thailand’s Immigration Police can now halt any passenger boarding a plane for Thailand

Uh, how does Thailand's Immigration Police stop a person that is in another country ?  I can see them refusing entry once in Thailand.  I watch some of those border security videos on the internet from Australia and they often show people that had online visas issued and had permission to travel to Oz, but then upon arrival get talked to and turned around! 

 

  If the article means there may be more vetting of people before getting some sort of Thai visa before traveling, well OK.  But for routine visa exempt on arrival, which many foreigners can do, I am not sure there is much that can be done.  Sure the airlines can send a passenger's info to Thai officials and maybe they can take some action, warn the traveler, warn the airline etc..  but I don't see that in the article.  Maybe just words are a bit off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Of course they can - it has nothing to do with jurisdiction in a foreign country. When Thai immigration receives passenger data through APIS, they can just send a message back through the airline's computer saying "do not board" a particular person. Since the carrier knows they'll be fined if they ignore that instruction, they will not board the passenger. In practice I've never heard of Thailand actually doing this, but other countries (like the US) do it all the time 

Yes a possibility

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NightSky said:

 

.....

 

The problem is discriminating against ALL foreigners and not just the 'bad actors'.

 

They have already been creating a climate of fear for most if not all foreigners over the previous 6 years. Hence why many good contributing people have already left the country during that time.

 

The problem is discriminating against ALL foreigners and not just the 'bad actors'.

 

Discrimination is rife in the land of smiles.

 

 

They are just demonstrating how inadequate and insecure they really are. 

 

51 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

I don't see a problem with submitting a criminal background check when applying/renewing Visa. I mean we do it now when we get a new job (or at least my job makes new applicants agree to one).

Unworkable and too pervasive for the vast majority of visitors.

 

Not to mention Thailand has barely a functional database of its own criminals, many of whom end up getting to travel to Western countries regardless of felony convictions.

 

I know of two Thai felons that have gone to Australia and NZ and one ended up living in Aus. Is still there as far as I know.

 

As others have said, get your own house in order first. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I hope this is broadcast overseas so that tourists will really feel the fear factor he wants and therefore refuse to entertain the idea of a holiday here.

Another numpty who thinks KGB, Stasi type measures are the way to treat people, the vast majority of whom are perfectly law abiding citizens.

They don't know any other way. A lack of education is apparent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reinstatement of 90 day reporting: Arose from capture of Islamic terrorist Habibeee in Thailand.

TM30: Bombing by Iranians in Thailand cited as a reason for TM30.

 

Group punishments of the law abiding.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Reinstatement of 90 day reporting: Arose from capture of Islamic terrorist Habibeee in Thailand.

I'm not aware of a terrorist Habibeee (or even with fewer e's).  You're probably thinking of Hambali who was arrested in Ayutthaya in 2003.  However, 90 day reporting was required even before that.  So, no "reinstatement".

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oxx said:

I'm not aware of a terrorist Habibeee (or even with fewer e's).  You're probably thinking of Hambali who was arrested in Ayutthaya in 2003.  However, 90 day reporting was required even before that.  So, no "reinstatement".

Yes you are right Hambali, but they reinstated 90 day reporting in response to it after having previously reinstated it and let it lapse again after maybe no more than 1 year. I turned up in 2001 and was the only person in a now small office and got this 'why have you come' look and didn't do it again until 2003 (or thereabouts when they re-reinstated it)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Uh, how does Thailand's Immigration Police stop a person that is in another country ?  I can see them refusing entry once in Thailand.  I watch some of those border security videos on the internet from Australia and they often show people that had online visas issued and had permission to travel to Oz, but then upon arrival get talked to and turned around! 

 

  If the article means there may be more vetting of people before getting some sort of Thai visa before traveling, well OK.  But for routine visa exempt on arrival, which many foreigners can do, I am not sure there is much that can be done.  Sure the airlines can send a passenger's info to Thai officials and maybe they can take some action, warn the traveler, warn the airline etc..  but I don't see that in the article.  Maybe just words are a bit off.

Uh, how does Thailand's Immigration Police stop a person that is in another country ?

 

 

Easy ....and perfectly explained ...

 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1235336-new-immigration-bureau-boss-signals-new-orders-so-police-can-easily-track-down-foreign-suspects-in-thailand/?do=findComment&comment=16898115

Edited by david555
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, Knocker33 said:

Days to catch a foreigner. 25 years to catch a Ferrari driving cop killer. Classic

Absolutely so true, I am watching the Joe Ferrari case as there is obviously a bunch of others in higher placers involved so lets see if he actually is the sacrificial lamb or he takes down some of the rest.  If he was a Farang he would already be sentenced with a guilty verdict!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It took 5 days to track him down, well done RTP, but how much longer will it take to track down the red bull toe rag? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 3:45 AM, webfact said:

Thailand’s Immigration Police can now halt any passenger boarding a plane for Thailand if the person is deemed a threat to the security and well being of the country.

.

 

Not even in the realm of possibility.....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 4:05 AM, sirineou said:

Yes Yes, 

In another thread about attracting tourists to Thailand I talked about the brilliant Idea to increase the tourist tax at this time. It seems that the brilliant Ideas keep on coming.

 

Increased user fees, departure taxes, and increased security might all be good ideas. But someone needs to tell these people about the concept of "Right place wrong time".

Not sure that "right place wrong time" is the problem, it seems that the problem is going to be "wrong welcoming mat" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Not sure that "right place wrong time" is the problem, it seems that the problem is going to be "wrong welcoming mat" 

I used the term , because it might be a good idea to raise funds , I don't think 500 bht will deter anyone from coming here,

But  it is the wrong time.

Right now because of covid, there are a lot of little and some not so little things , that combined make a big thing, and you don't want that right now if you want to stimulate tourism,

In another words, another nail in the coffin. Or death by a thousand cuts. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its amazing how discriminating these people are towards foreigners, they want them to come, they want their money, they need their money but they just have to keep sticking the knife into foreigners at any opportunity they get. Has this this guy got a brain or a conscience, Thailand is riddled with corrupt Thais & practices and its understandable that they don't want the same from imports but be a little intelligent and sensitive to what they announce to the global media! 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...