Thai "e Passport"

My wife who lives in the Uk needs to apply for a new Thai Passport as hers has expired.On the Thai Embassy website there is an "e passport" which is recomended for people who have lost or have an expired Passport.Does anyone have any info about this type of passport?

It is the biometric passport which, as far as I know, is the only passport being issued now. (it comes with a chip embedded in the cover). Your wife must make an appointment and attend in person as they take a digital image of face and finger at the consulate. Currently the new epassport is valid for 5 years and not extendable.

It's not only recommended but is a requirement. I'm afraid your wife will have to travel to the Thai embassy in London in order to complete the formalities. My wife and I have also had to make the journey and, depending upon where in the UK you live, it's a pain in the a*se.

Scouse.

My wife just got a e passport 2 months ago. It took about 3 weeks to get after applied for. Her other passport which she got when she left Thailand 10 years ago to marry me had an endorcement in it showing her new married last name.

When we went to apply for her e passport, she was issued a new passport in her maiden name. It could not be changed until she returned to her home ampur to change it. We paid the $15 fee for the consulate to issue all the appropriate papers, and she went to the Ampur near Surin to get her new ID card, BUT they would not change the last name because it did not have a green stamp from the Office of Consular Affairs in Bangkok. We simply ran out of time to accomplish this. We had the attorney get the proper stamp, so next time we go home she can get it changed.

I tell you this , because you cannot believe what a PIA it was to try and get through airport security with her Passport in one name and her tickets in the other. (We carried her old passport as well as her drivers licenses and other documents in her married name.).

One we get the new ID card we will again have to apply for a new e passport in her married name.