Officials to splash B30m on ‘Pla Wan corner’

Jonathan Fairfield

1634369091_1-org.jpeg

The Ban Ao Nam Bo curve on Sakdidet Rd in Wichit. Photo: PR Phuket

PHUKET: Local officials have requested B30 million to upgrade and increase safety measures on a stretch of road in Wichit notorious for the number of vehicle accidents in recent years.

The Ban Ao Nam Bo curve on Sakdidet Rd in Wichit has seen numerous car accidents that prompted local residents to complain. Many of the accidents have resulted in cars overturning as they fail to navigate the curve properly.

The most high profile case was that of Vorasit ‘Pla Wan’ Issara, the owner of the upscale Sri Panwa resort at Cape Panwa on Phuket’s east coast, who was injured when the car he was driving struck a power pole at the exact same spot in March of this year.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/wichit-road-danger-spot-to-be-addressed-81722.php

pkt..jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-10-16

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Hm. Am I the only one who thinks the actual problem is bad driving rather than a bend in the road?? I always thought roads with bends, crossings and dangerous U-Turns are normal. 

Could try to construct only straight roads in Thailand. But we would probably only see a steep increase in deadly accidents.

12 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Looks a nice wide smooth road in the photo - what's wrong with it?

my guess is it gets a layer of wind blown sand over it, couple that with the camber of the road and smooth tar finish and the cars lose traction and skate off.