‘We need to talk about it’, says Thailand mental health chief as suicides increase during COVID-19

Jonathan Fairfield

istock-1153359799.jpeg

A woman hugs her friend to give her support. (Photo: iStock/Artfully79)

By Pichayada Promchertchoo

Thailand's Mental Health Department expects suicide rates to increase as the COVID-19 pandemic drags on and encourages the public to seek mental health support when they need it.

BANGKOK: Suicide rates are on the rise in Thailand as COVID-19 has undermined public mental health for almost two years. 

Latest data from the Mental Health Department showed a marked increase in suicide deaths, which rose from at least 5,768 in 2018 to 5,870 in 2019. The figure was 6,597 in 2020. 

This means last year alone, Thailand recorded 10.08 suicide deaths per 100,000 population. 

Full story: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thailand-suicide-covid-19-mental-health-department-director-general-2247011

CNA.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Pre-virus it was high to start, take away income, and no surprise.  Wiki stats (2019) puts it about midway on the worldwide scale.  

Not to go off topic, but USA has one of the highest rates of the G20.  Russia & S. Korea a bit worse.

Another site, w/interactive map, a bit more friendly to Thailand:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/suicide-rate-by-country

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, lolalol said:

This is a tragedy. This is heartbreaking.

And it is a fact, that nobody wants to talk about. The mental health chief (whatever that means) says it needs to be discussed, but he is demonstrating a huge lack of fealty to Prayuth, in the process. This kind of national emergency is real proof that Thailand should never allow another coup to happen. With a civilian government that is democratically elected, and a truly representative body in the senate, Thailand at least has a chance of qualified ministers being appointed based on merit and talent. With Prayuth and this army, there is little chance of this ever happening. They are re-defining the words cronyism and inept on a daily basis.

Nobody knows how high unemployment is right now. I suspect it is over 30% nationwide. Alot of hurt right now. Alot of pain for the locals. I really feel for them. Where is the hope? Where is the promise of a rosy tomorrow? What is the future of the nation? Seven years of regression, combined with a stunning degree of mismanagement, ineptitude, lack of vision, and inability to even get the vaccine program right, is leading to alot of desperation at this time.

Should I be worried about saying these things? I cannot be punished, as all of this it true. Prayuth said we can be critical as long as it was true. However we know what you actually meant, Prayuth. What you actually meant is:

You cannot criticize us, on any level, for anything! Ever! Am I understood? However, since the worldwide media, social media, and the Guardian are now publishing highly critical articles, about the oppression, suppression, and repression we are inflicting upon the citizens and ex-pats of this nation, the heinous punishment we are handing out, and we are taking more egg on the face than we care to, we will issue a "statement of clarification", so nobody "misunderstands us, or our noble intentions".

We are despots, and there is no length we will not go to, to make it seem otherwise. However, we do not want the world talking about us. That is a bridge too far. Damn, I sure wish the media, social media, and the news agencies did not exist. They make life so complicated for me, when I am always having to justify my behavior! Can't you guys just leave us alone?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Should I be worried about saying these things? I cannot be punished, as all of this it true. Prayuth said we can be critical as long as it was true.

Nah.

Thai court suspends government order on 'false messages'

BANGKOK, Aug 6 (Reuters) - A Thai court on Friday suspended the implementation of a government order to ban the dissemination of "false messages" and distorted news, ruling it breached individual rights and freedom enshrined in the constitution.

Media groups had filed a petition to revoke the order after accusing the government of intending to use it to crack down on criticism over its handing of the coronavirus pandemic.

Authorities have been taking legal action against some people, including celebrities and social media influencers, who have criticised the pandemic response.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thai-court-suspends-government-order-false-messages-2021-08-06/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They left a note. There is 200 baht in the drawer. That is all we have. We cannot take care of the children any longer. There is no hope left. We cannot work, as they will not let us, and we cannot afford to eat.

And TAT are talking of spending 200 million on hiring a singer purely for entertainment.

Edited by hotchilli

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Nah.

Thai court suspends government order on 'false messages'

BANGKOK, Aug 6 (Reuters) - A Thai court on Friday suspended the implementation of a government order to ban the dissemination of "false messages" and distorted news, ruling it breached individual rights and freedom enshrined in the constitution.

Media groups had filed a petition to revoke the order after accusing the government of intending to use it to crack down on criticism over its handing of the coronavirus pandemic.

Authorities have been taking legal action against some people, including celebrities and social media influencers, who have criticised the pandemic response.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thai-court-suspends-government-order-false-messages-2021-08-06/

Always refreshing when a court shuts down the attempted use of oppression, repression, suppression of the flow of information, and the overarching desire to shut up the people, on the part of the power hungry goons and creeps. 

Edited by spidermike007