Third booster with half dose of Pfizer vaccine as effective as full dose – study

snoop1130

40 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the study, China’s Sinovac is good as a “priming” vaccine and, if followed by a third jab of either a full dose of AstraZeneca or half dose of Pfizer vaccine, will boost antibodies up to a level close to that generated by a full dose of Pfizer

The Phuket hospital geniuses said a 20% dose AZ did this. But no, now it's a full dose, but only half a Pfizer does the same. The hub of made up vaccine protocols.

I have to wonder, do these study cohorts actually know they are lab rats? Or, is this experimentation with the general public. I mean, I wouldn't volunteer...

36 minutes ago, smedly said:

so now it has changed from the last time they made such a claim of 25% dose of AZ, now it is a full dose of AZ and a half dose of Pfizer and it is not all about antibodies as they claim - it is rather more complex than that - more Thai quackery

Though, they must've absorbed/borrowed this quackery from elsewhere - not original Thai quackery.

1 hour ago, ArcticFox said:

But - those 'boosters' or alternative dosing regimes will not be accepted as valid if you are traveling to other countries. 

It seem as though Thai universities were given mandates to create studies supporting methods of stretching normal, manufacturer's recommended dosages.  But?  Are they universally excepted?  I doubt that seriously. 

"Hi.  I want to come into your country."  :smile:
Have you been vaccinated?  ????‍♂️
"I have received the extra-special, mix and match, scientifically low-dosed, Thai vaccination cocktail! :smile:"
Ahhh - No!  ????‍♂️

No longer true for the USA.

U.S. to accept mixed COVID-19 vaccine doses for international travellers, CDC says  

People with “any combination” of two doses of a vaccine approved by either the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or the World Health Organization “are considered fully vaccinated,” the agency said in a statement.

“While CDC has not recommended mixing types of vaccine in a primary series, we recognize that this is increasingly common in other countries so should be accepted for the interpretation of vaccine records.”

The news also confirms what the White House acknowledged earlier Friday would be a likely development: that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, approved by the WHO but not the FDA, would be deemed acceptable.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8270376/us-cdc-covid-mixed-vaccine-international/

And it seems likely now that the USA has given its ok, other nations will follow.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So they found out that one dose of Sinovac, one dose of AstraZenica, and half a dose of Pfizer is almost as effective as one full dose of Pfizer?

This clearly proves it to be best to start with one full dose of Pfizer at the beginning instead of messing about with 3 different vaccines, 3 different appointments, 3 waiting periods between shots, 3 wasted days waiting in a queue at a hospital, triple the health care resources to administer it, and months of delay while the virus runs rampant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless/until these studies are published in scientific journals and replicated, I tend to be skeptical.  I don't doubt that it boosts immunity but for how long?  Are there less side-effects?  What is the level of breakthrough cases and how long after vaccination do they occur?

The effort to find the best way to keep people healthy is a laudable effort, but not if it is done at the expense of public health and safety.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why bother? I ended up with blood clots after my second shot of AZ. I'm not taking anything else. I regret taking AZ.

A large scale recent Harvard study found that vaccines don't make a difference to Covid-19 cases

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8481107/

At the country-level, there appears to be no discernable relationship between percentage of population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases in the last 7 days (Fig. 1). In fact, the trend line suggests a marginally positive association such that countries with higher percentage of population fully vaccinated have higher COVID-19 cases per 1 million people

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

Another 1mln is somewhere on the way, but thai officials don't like this donation so "forgot"

to do necessary procedures and the lot is still in the USA warehouse.

It never will arrive. At least that is what is being said by Duckworths aides. Likely Thailand cannot accept any free Pfizer from the USA, especially if they are not buying any more Sinovac. ????  The Celestial Empire is going to be unhappy. Dr Anutin has to make the best of a bad situation so that last Pfizer gift must be buried, never mentioned.

Ah the tangled webs PooYais weave when they must bend in the wind.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kellyk11 said:

Why bother? I ended up with blood clots after my second shot of AZ. I'm not taking anything else. I regret taking AZ.

A large scale recent Harvard study found that vaccines don't make a difference to Covid-19 cases

At the country-level, there appears to be no discernable relationship between percentage of population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases in the last 7 days (Fig. 1). In fact, the trend line suggests a marginally positive association such that countries with higher percentage of population fully vaccinated have higher COVID-19 cases per 1 million people

Sorry to hear about your adverse reaction.

Looking at the data is really just a sneak-peek at what is happening.   The study looks at large data sets, but doesn't review other mitigating efforts or the lack thereof.   First of all, we need to remember there are rather large swaths of the population at the time of the study that weren't and couldn't be vaccinated, primarily that was children.  Even though they fare better with the disease than adults, they still can carry it and transmit it.  

One of the reasons for pushing for high levels of vaccination is to protect people such as yourself who might not be able to get vaccinated or get boosters.  

9 minutes ago, Scott said:

One of the reasons for pushing for high levels of vaccination is to protect people such as yourself who might not be able to get vaccinated or get boosters.  

Thanks. I wish we had more of a discussion of the costs and benefits of vaccination before I got the plunge.

Did you see that people in Israel lose their vaccination status if they aren't up to date with the latest boosters?

https://news.yahoo.com/visitors-israel-booster-shots-obtain-201340462.html

I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns from any further vaccinations.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, kellyk11 said:

Thanks. I wish we had more of a discussion of the costs and benefits of vaccination before I got the plunge.

Did you see that people in Israel lose their vaccination status if they aren't up to date with the latest boosters?

https://news.yahoo.com/visitors-israel-booster-shots-obtain-201340462.html

I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns from any further vaccinations.

Unfortunately, you might be right.  I hope not, though!   We always have to fight our battles with the weapons we have available and in this case, it seems to be vaccines are the big guns and masks are sort of the bullet proof vest. Social distancing is also a big part of the whole mitigation effort. Neither works completely, but together they as effective as anything we've seen.  

I am fully vaccinated and had the booster -- all Pfizer.  I hate wearing a mask and do so reluctantly.  I stay out of shops and stores as much as possible and when I do shop, I do so quickly and tear that mask off as soon as I am outdoors.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kellyk11 said:

A "large scale study" over seven days doesn't particularly fill me with confidence.

It is expected that any country, even one with a high vaccination rate, would have a spike in infection once restrictions are lifted.

It doesn't mean that the vaccine is not effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 2long said:

What is it with these Thai doctors/scientists/hospitals who want to keep confusing things and trying something different?

The country is nearly a year behind the civilised world in terms of getting vaccines in arms, but they're way ahead of the rest of the world in terms of cocktails! How can they have any idea how effective it is so early in (their vaccine) rollout!?

Numpties, the lot of 'em!

Just trying to eke out the supplies.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

A while back on the UK news they were saying 1/2 pfizer for a booster next if you have had 2 AZ vaccines. 

Just wish they could now say you've had you jabs and boosters and that's you finished for 10 years - but wishing thinking. 

I think we are at the point that this is going to be a periodic event. 

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Why don't they just follow the guidelines issued by the vaccine developers? Why do they always have to take shortcuts?

Inward-looking Thai culture, LOS the centre of the world, everyone is watching Thailand  breathlessly, status before ethics ... They almost certainly actually believe their own nonsense and are unaware that no Thai university rates in the top 500 worldwide for anything.

• Like 1