Jump to content

Could a third dose of vaccine be the charm?


Recommended Posts

There seems to be an assumption prevalent, particularly among anti covid vaxxers, that vaccinations will have to be reheated frequently throughout one's life. This may not be true. Other vaccines that provide long lasting rotection have to given in multiple doses to do so. Why not the covid19 vaccines? Below is a link to to an article in the Jerusalem Post. 

 

If the chickenpox vaccine lasts 20 years, why not the COVID-19 shot?
Will the third booster shot be our last? Israeli doctors explain the science behind it.

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/coronavirus/if-the-chickenpox-vaccine-lasts-20-years-why-not-the-covid-19-shot-682382

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not could be, but it will be a mandatory request and a must specially for all those who got those dodgy vaccinations like those from China and Thai made one...

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Not could be, but it will be a mandatory request and a must specially for all those who got those dodgy vaccinations like those from China and Thai made one...

I don't think you understand the point of the article linked to. It's about whether a 3rd dose of vaccine will provide long lasting protection.  Not about allegedly dodgy vaccines and their need for a booster.

And why you lump the thai made astra zeneca vaccine with the chinese made vaccines must be because of your reflexive prejudice against things Thai.. Do you honestly think Astra Zeneca is going to allow Thailand to produce defective versions of its vaccines? You don't think that they check for that? Ya know, quality control?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

it's like common flu, mutates all the time.

So new one has to be given before risky season of winter (in thailand before rainy season, in may).

And those covid vaxes were developed only within few months, unlike many other vaxes developed over many years or even tens of years (example of dengvaxia for dengue - took 20 years, needs 3 shots, protects for some 5 years and doesn't have the greatest protection)

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This may not be true.

 

Nobody knows one way or the other. "The science" has been "changing" non-stop since the pandemic began. Its been almost 2 straight years of speculative reporting and scientific studies, so no point in speculating any further. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, internationalism said:

it's like common flu, mutates all the time.

So new one has to be given before risky season of winter (in thailand before rainy season, in may).

And those covid vaxes were developed only within few months, unlike many other vaxes developed over many years or even tens of years (example of dengvaxia for dengue - took 20 years, needs 3 shots, protects for some 5 years and doesn't have the greatest protection)

Actually, as the article pointed out, it doesn't mutate nearly as fast as the flu. And apart from that,  the virus isn't a flu virus. Not even close. So how do you know that the 3rd shot won't provide long lasting protection. Other viruses require 3 shots for the vaccines to provide long lasting protection.The point of the article is that no one knows. Not virologists, and not epidemiologists. But you do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

I mean, I guess the third time could be the charm. And if it isn't then maybe the fourth one will be?

 

Or the fifth one, or the sixth one, or the seventh one....

I guess you think you've made a point here?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

 

Nobody knows one way or the other. "The science" has been "changing" non-stop since the pandemic began. Its been almost 2 straight years of speculative reporting and scientific studies, so no point in speculating any further. 

 

 

More denialism. A typical ant vaxxer ploy. There's plenty that is now. For example that the unvaccinated are 11 times more likely to die than the vaccinated. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

More denialism. A typical ant vaxxer ploy. There's plenty that is now. For example that the unvaccinated are 11 times more likely to die than the vaccinated. 

Im vaccinated, so, try again. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leveraged said:

Im vaccinated, so, try again. 

You can be anything you want to be on the internet. Including vaccinated. But the only confirmable evidence we have to deal with here is your words. And they say otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

 

Did it cross your mind that maybe Im both vaccinated and skeptical? There comes a point in all this (which I reached a few months ago) where a person just flat-out stops listening or caring. This has been almost 2 years of continual and nonstop moving goalposts and I think more and more people are just about over it. 

As I pointed out , your claim to be vaccinated is unproveable, therefore irrelevant. But what I do see is this claim that because there has been some uncertainty, then little or nothing is known for sure. This is nonsense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leveraged said:

 

So youre the gatekeeper of debate, throwing away facts you dont like to stay on a point that you fabricated. 

What facts have I thrown away? Unconfirmable assertions may in reality be facts, or maybe not. The point is that there is no objective way to confirm them. So they're best left out of the conversation since they obviously have no evidentiary value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What facts have I thrown away? Unconfirmable assertions may in reality be facts, or maybe not. The point is that there is no objective way to confirm them. So they're best left out of the conversation since they obviously have no evidentiary value.

 

Yeah, but that didn't stop you from implying (baselessly) that im lying about my vaccination status. So you can make "unconformable assertions" and they get to stick but Im somehow a liar and my "unconfirmable assertions" should be discarded. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Triple vaxxed, but will not get another dose unless they (enough various countries where I want to go) enforce it via travel restrictions....for instance 'you must have been vaccinated within the last X-XX months for your vaccination cert. to be valid.'   

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wprime said:

You made the claim that he's an anti-vaxxer. You have the burden of proof.

 

You've provided no evidence to support your claims and yet you continue your attack against him by demanding he prove you wrong. He has no obligation to. You made a baseless comment against him, if you have any sense of decency you would withdraw it instead of continuing this pointless argument.

I can only judge him by his arguments. Not by unproveable comments about his personal status. When someone writes obfuscatory stuff like this

 

"Nobody knows one way or the other. "The science" has been "changing" non-stop since the pandemic began. Its been almost 2 straight years of speculative reporting and scientific studies, so no point in speculating any further. "

 

it's quite clear where they stand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

 

Yeah, but that didn't stop you from implying (baselessly) that im lying about my vaccination status. So you can make "unconformable assertions" and they get to stick but Im somehow a liar and my "unconfirmable assertions" should be discarded. 

I didn't say you were lying. I said your comments were unproveable. Were I to declare something personal and unproveable about myself on this forum in order to defend an argument, I wouldn't have any problem with someone pointing out that my statement is unproveable and has no value as evidence. In fact, I would wholeheartedly agree with them. In other words, get over yourself.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I didn't say you were lying. I said your comments were unproveable.

The implication being that im lying; that I couldn't possible have the opinions I have and be vaccinated. 

 

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

it's quite clear where they stand.

So youre the gatekeeper of debate and a psychic who knows what people really think. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

The implication being that im lying; that I couldn't possible have the opinions I have and be vaccinated. 

 

So youre the gatekeeper of debate and a psychic who knows what people really think. 

What don't you understand about "uncertainty"?. If I were psychics I would know without question the value of the evidence you offer about your vaccinated state. I'm not, so I don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I can only judge him by his arguments. Not by unproveable comments about his personal status. When someone writes obfuscatory stuff like this

 

"Nobody knows one way or the other. "The science" has been "changing" non-stop since the pandemic began. Its been almost 2 straight years of speculative reporting and scientific studies, so no point in speculating any further. "

 

it's quite clear where they stand.

How can something be obfuscatory and quite clear at the same time?

 

Nothing about his comment is anti-vax, he's just claiming that we don't know how many more doses will be needed for long-term immunity which is true.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wprime said:

How can something be obfuscatory and quite clear at the same time?

 

Nothing about his comment is anti-vax, he's just claiming that we don't know how many more doses will be needed for long-term immunity which is true.

Had he stopped at "Nobody knows one way or the other" you'd have a better point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leveraged said:

 

Did it cross your mind that maybe Im both vaccinated and skeptical? There comes a point in all this (which I reached a few months ago) where a person just flat-out stops listening or caring. This has been almost 2 years of continual and nonstop moving goalposts and I think more and more people are just about over it. 

Every day at 1pm the government version is broadcast via radio ( I won't even watch tv it's so ad riddled now ), but I'm so turned off by the same old same old that I don't bother listening now.

Life goes on regardless.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Life goes on regardless.

 

It definitely does, but theres an unfortunate number of people who just won't move on no matter what and will spend their days ridiculing and punishing people for not listening to their <deleted> any longer. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

You are correct. I'm double vaccinated and generally encourage everyone to get vaccinated as well, but this hysteria has dragged on for waaaay too long with no defined end conditions.

 

The part that gets me is that the "end conditions" keep changing by the month while at the same time the requirements keep getting more and more strict. Its like people in power (and their minion supporters) think that they are the puppet masters and we are all the puppets to be led around. 

 

Get vaccinated and get over it. Someone immunocompromised or high risk? Get vaccinated and maintain personal safety, but otherwise, life goes on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

More gatekeeping from the gatekeeper. 

Do you understand what gate keeper means? If I were, in fact, the gatekeeper I would have the power to keep people from entering this discussion. Dismissing your assertion as irrelevant does not qualify as gatekeeping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...