BOT and Bankers’ Association probing widely reported abnormal transactions

webfact

3c2bb96fffeafa15f59b6b5702c264aa_small.png

By Namo Vananupong

BANGKOK (NNT) - A large number of people have been making social media posts about instances of money being deducted from their bank accounts despite not having ordered transactions or purchased goods or services. A Facebook group dedicated to the issue is now sharing many reports of these instances from alleged victims, while banks and government agencies are now looking into the matter.

The Bank of Thailand and The Thai Bankers’ Association said that banks have now suspended the cards of clients who encountered abnormal transactions, and were scrutinizing the stores that were the sources of the anomalies. The association said the deductions in question were not caused by information leaks from banks, and were mostly transactions associated with goods and services offered by online stores registered abroad. It also said the transactions did not involve money-draining mobile applications, which have become a topic in the news.

Customers who detect anomalies in financial transactions may immediately contact each bank’s call center or branch to report the dubious activity and confirm the validity of each transaction. Banks will address each of the issues and work to return money to the victims of unauthorized deductions.

Meanwhile, government spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana disclosed that the prime minister has been informed of the matter and relevant agencies have been ordered to probe this irregularity. He said he was personally coordinating with the Thai Bankers’ Association, which has informed him that discussions on the matter were being had among its banking fraud teams as well as among chief information officers of various banks.

nnt.jpg

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

The association said the deductions in question were not caused by information leaks from banks

maybe they can explain why a victim posting on here yesterday has never used their card for purchases or ATM - there is only one way that card info could have been exposed - either from the bank or the CC company 

• Like 1

I got stung. After SMS's from BB immediately rang customer services (about 2015hrs)  

It took 34 minutes on the English language line to be answered !

Managed to cancel the card,  but 34 minutes....the account could have been emptied by then.

Luckily not. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

To check I had to look at all my transactions and cross refer to my Lazada orders etc. Quite difficult as Bangkok Bank do not record the vendors name/ID on the statement, just say “ Terminal”. Luckily all mine were legit.

Why for Lazada not using pay at delivery option , it is straightforward , no risk , and the store has no chance to keep your bank or creditcard details on their wallet .....which they always try to do ....double check that !

I disconnect for ALL those details including PayPal ...., it is a little more boredom to order but much safer against those stores get hacked.

Edited by david555