฿130m ‘stolen’ from over 10,000 Thai bank accounts in just four days

snoop1130

bank-cheated.jpg

About 130 million baht has been mysteriously withdrawn from 10,700 bank accounts through credit and debit card payments between October 14th and 17th, according to President of the Thai Bankers Association (TBA) Payong Srivanich, today (Tuesday).

The mysterious withdrawals, mostly payments for goods or services with stores registered in foreign countries, have become the subject of an intense investigation by the Bank of Thailand, the TBA, the police and Ministry of Digital Economy and Society.

Mr. Payong said that the cyber criminals used information from the credit or debit cards to place multiple orders in small amounts, which do not require the use of a one-time password (OTP) to complete, adding that that banks will refund the affected customers within five days, if it can be proved that they did not order any goods or services online during the period.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/130m-stolen-from-over-10000-thai-bank-accounts-in-just-four-days/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

Just now, HeijoshinCool said:

I love Japan, but refuse to make friends there......

Because every time I do, they want to take me to karaoke.

Well if you ever feel the urge for a bit of karaoke in Thailand you can always come and stay with us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

so they know exactly account numbers and exact amounts, but not refund until proven they didn't spend it 

They KNOW account numbers and CVVs because they ASK for them and some people give them the information.

I didn't. See my post above. I was lucky.

7 hours ago, internationalism said:

so they know exactly account numbers and exact amounts, but not refund until proven they didn't spend it 

In the USA, my Dad sent a time-sensitive sealed bid via the U.S. Postal Service overnight.  I don't think it ever arrived.  He didn't get his money back because he couldn't prove it wasn't delivered the next day.  Gotta love bureaucracy. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smedly said:

it takes many forms, you cannot just generalise it 

There are insiders involved in this particular case simply because a member here who is a victim of this theft has never used his Thai bank issued Debit card not even at an ATM so his card details had to come from a system that holds the data at source - either the bank or the CC company in Thailand

Realistically if they are not involved in this they are in something else. 

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

Typical Thailand =     full of Thieves and cheats      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you should try Singapore, i though Thai bank accounts where insured like in the States by the FDIC?

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1