Rooster did not get the memo.

sirineou

I always thought the roosters crowed at the first sign of light. While we think of sunlight, it may be as simple as someone lighting a cigarette, a car driving by with headlights on, or a motion activated light being turned on by a bird or something. And the light doesn't need to be close...

Personally, I enjoy the sounds of roosters crowing no matter the time of night and how close they are. Peacocks, guineas, geckos, frogs too. Some of the many soothing sounds of nature that help me relax. The constant yipping and barking of dogs close by is another story, but I can block it out when needed. Getting yourself all worked-up about it is the bigger problem.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

City slickers attempting to be country bumkins will never get it.

That be me. ????, but I am beginning to. 

Anybody want to buy a country home ? It come complete with 4 dogs , goldfish pond and fish , and for the right offer a wife with a pleasant disposition that can turn nasty on a dime. ????

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

I thought roosters crow in the morning to great the rising sun.

Actually they crow at any time.

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

So I am wondering are the Thais who live him brain dead? or are they such deep sleepers?

In my experience, South East Asians are incredibly heavy sleepers.  Lights on, people shouting, music blaring, they can sleep just fine.  On the floor, bed made of wood, in a hammock, no problem.  Very lucky in this regard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Actually they crow at any time.

In my experience, South East Asians are incredibly heavy sleepers.  Lights on, people shouting, music blaring, they can sleep just fine.  On the floor, bed made of wood, in a hammock, no problem.  Very lucky in this regard.

Yea my wife is that way, She says , "What roosters"  LOL

I am actually jealous, I wish I could sleep that way. Me you look at me while I sleep and I wake up asking " What you looking at" LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Lower your expectations. Not always easy to do. A guy in my building has high expectations that he has the right to sleep until noon in pure, uninterrupted silence. If he hears a vacuum cleaner down the hall, or a hammer upstairs, he flies into a rage and gets his adrenaline pumping and goes to confront them. The next time it happens he gets even angrier until he's so worked-up that any little noise sets him off. 

It's like walking down the sidewalk here. Don't expect everyone to clear you a path, no obstacles, no motorcycles. Set your mind ahead of time that it's part of life here and try to come to terms with it. If possible, even relax and try to enjoy it. I spent a few years living in a motorhome and stayed in truck stops frequently. Trucks driving in and out, generators running all night, instead of fighting it, I laid there and enjoyed listening and it lulled me to sleep. But I realize everyone has limitations. Those stupid sound effects on Thai television yank my chain when I'm trying to sleep and I'll never come to peace with that.

The ever present condition of being Farang. 

Might be beneficial to your soul to get over yourselves.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 4:33 AM, swissie said:

Right on!

Everybody in a village has hens and a rooster. Too close for comfort. So a rooster thinks he has to mark his territory constantly, day and night by making his very personal vocal signature, heard all over the place. Totally stressed out roosters, affecting their life-expetancy greatly. To be quickly replaced by another rooster when his time has come.

Rural Thais (after 77 Generations) are immune to such nightly noises. Not so Farangs. I have known a few Farangs that left their Rural-Paradise, due to noise from roosters, barking dogs, karaoke-marathons and the loudspeakers from the nearest temple. Leaving their wifes and property behind.

The moral of the story: Not all Farangs are destined to live in rural Thailand.

I got sick of my Thai neighbor's roosters and barking dogs waking me up, so I bought my own roosters & dogs.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I got sick of my Thai neighbor's roosters and barking dogs waking me up, so I bought my own roosters & dogs.

The only problem with that is that through social evolution , Thais have developed an ability to tune them out.

So now you have to listen to twice as many roosters and dogs, and when you tell your neighbor "How do you like it now that I got roosters and dogs?" he will reply with puzzlement, 

" You got  roosters and dogs?" 

????

• Haha 1

We actually live next door to a guy who organizes the cock fighting in our village. He keeps about 6 or 8 of his own and sometimes lodges guest birds down for the weekend's contest.

I was a bit bothered about this at first, but I soon got used to it. I hardly notice them at all and it's true what others have said about Asians. They could sleep through a hurricane.

The notion that cocks begin to crow at dawn is, of course, an urban myth. (as I've discovered) Country folk sleep right through the cacophony (should I say cock-cophony) and upon waking in the morning the first thing they hear is, well well, a cock crowing!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

The only problem with that is that through social evolution , Thais have developed an ability to tune them out.

So now you have to listen to twice as many roosters and dogs, and when you tell your neighbor "How do you like it now that I got roosters and dogs?" he will reply with puzzlement, 

" You got  roosters and dogs?" 

????

I can also "tune them out". I think the only thing that puzzled my neighbours was when I DIDN'T have dogs and roosters. I had so many of those scraggy black chickens running about at one time, that it was difficult to count them.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
typo
  • Like 1