Jump to content

Travelling to Koh Chang from this region


Recommended Posts

Hi all 

Thinking of taking a short break next week at Koh Chang .. are there any  covid check-points on the way that I should be aware of ?

(I am fully vaxx'ed so there shouldn't be a problems I am  just a bit curious). . and are the ferries running a fully service or is it a turn up and hope for the best  kinda  service ?? .

 

Cheers 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, banglay said:

are there any  covid check-points on the way that I should be aware of ?


. . and are the ferries running a fully service or is it a turn up and hope for the best  kinda  service ??

As of last week (BKK/KC/BKK):


 

1/ No covid check-points. 
 

2/ Turn up. Wait. Hope.  
 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure my post will produce lots of responses but why in the world would you want to go to Koh Chang? It's in a word one of the worst Thai islands I have ever visited i.e. some of the most polluted beaches in all of Thailand, a very few usable beaches (unless you stay in the resorts that ban and prohibit use of 'their' beaches), and island except for one of its entire sides has no beaches at all but rocky impassible outcrops, a rubbish problem that sees an almost constant stink of piled up refuse on the roadsides.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Sure my post will produce lots of responses but why in the world would you want to go to Koh Chang? It's in a word one of the worst Thai islands I have ever visited i.e. some of the most polluted beaches in all of Thailand, a very few usable beaches (unless you stay in the resorts that ban and prohibit use of 'their' beaches), and island except for one of its entire sides has no beaches at all but rocky impassible outcrops, a rubbish problem that sees an almost constant stink of piled up refuse on the roadsides.

.

Used to be fun. When I was there in April, White Sand looked like Damascus.

 

Checkpoint at the big mushroom was taken down a week or so ago. But just before that, my bud and his Thai wife pulled up, she handed her vax record to the official while my unvaxxed bud just sat there, the official gave it a glance and waved them through.

 

Lonely Beach is still nice. Hotel deals abound.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Sure my post will produce lots of responses but why in the world would you want to go to Koh Chang? It's in a word one of the worst Thai islands I have ever visited i.e. some of the most polluted beaches in all of Thailand, a very few usable beaches (unless you stay in the resorts that ban and prohibit use of 'their' beaches), and island except for one of its entire sides has no beaches at all but rocky impassible outcrops, a rubbish problem that sees an almost constant stink of piled up refuse on the roadsides.

I last went two years ago and am hoping to go In January or February from Australia. Hotel prices look good for middle of high season. 

I tend to stay at one of the hotels on the beach and, all or most of the beaches are accessible, though I take your points that at some spots at say Klong Prao it's not easy.

In terms of pollution I disagree. Yes you do get a bit of rubbish sometimes on the beach, especially in one section of Khlong Prao, but otherwise it's pretty good. Sadly a bit of rubbish on the beach is the way of most if not all Asian beaches but on many beaches on Koh Chang I see little if any rubbish. Compare it to many Phuket beaches and it's usually much cleaner and the water is better. 

The rubbish on the roadside I only noticed as you go towards Lonely beach at one point but that was a long time ago.  

In summary for beautiful beaches with outlooks to stunning hills and mountains it's hard to beat in Thailand. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Received info from BB Divers Koh Chang yesterday.  Yes there is a checkpoint and your vaccine documents will be checked.  No vaccines must have a PCR test.  Some hotels also checking.    

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

Received info from BB Divers Koh Chang yesterday.  Yes there is a checkpoint and your vaccine documents will be checked.  No vaccines must have a PCR test.  Some hotels also checking.    

If BBD are talking about the checkpoint on the mainland near the ferry boarding, they are not checking for vaccination documents, well they weren’t last weekend when we drove past it. We were waved through by them without stopping. Our car has Khonkaen plates, possibly that’s why…

 

We stayed at 2 hotels. Neither checked. 
 

 

 

 

Edited by Nemises
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nemises said:

If BBD are talking about the checkpoint on the mainland near the ferry boarding, they are not checking for vaccination documents, well they weren’t last weekend when we drove past it. We were waved through by them without stopping. Our car has Khonkaen plates, possibly that’s why…

 

We stayed at 2 hotels. Neither checked. 
 

 

 

 

I think they mean the one at the mushroom.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was going, I'd be prepared to be checked.  You just never know.  Sometimes the checkpoints are going, sometimes they aren't.  Sometimes they're manned by officials who follow the law to the letter, sometimes the officials don't really care.  But I'd sure hate to travel all that way just to be turned back.  Worth being prepared.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...