Broccoli & Cauliflower 150 Baht a Kilo ????

jasonr3255

35 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

just checked the fridge, Got a 200g head of broccoli in there.... cost me Bt130.00 at Foodland.

Where do I get me some Bt150.00/kg Broccoli ?

TOPS/Foodland pricey.. Bg-C much more reasonable for Cauliflower at least.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonray said:

TOPS/Foodland pricey.. Bg-C much more reasonable for Cauliflower at least.

Ewww shopping at BigC, no thanks.

but the Broccoli sold there, what is the country of origin ?

Edited by Ralf001

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

just checked the fridge, Got a 200g head of broccoli in there.... cost me Bt130.00 at Foodland.

Gourmet Market if you’re in Bangkok.  Chinese Broccoli is ฿110/kg, Thai Organic Broccoli is ฿150/kg

It is the rainy season and floods ,same most years, all veg is expensive  Chines Kale is now 70-80 baht/kg. coriander in the UK is now about half that of Thailand. 

Saw a big load of cabbages bound to the Dalart Thai ,wholesale market near Rangsit ,come from flooded Petchaboon ,they will be expensive.

Most  good veg now will be imported ,Big C celery  90 baht ,about the same as the UK,comes from China.

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Stick with Foodlands.

Probably not coated with pesticide.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

U hv balance living on everything $$$$ then do the math ..eg electric bill uk ? 

Thailand 950 baht month in my condo ...taxi  3k ride 60 baht bolt ..uk 

As mentioned frozen veg cheap ..anyway .. chicken rice food court terminal 21 40 baht. Etc etc ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is getting better even. 

A kilogramme of chicken parts (mid wings, thighs, drum sticks etc.) are anything between 51 - 65 Baht. Apart from Broccoli and Cauliflower, the same weight of Peperoni (Bell Peppers, Capsicum) are 139 Baht - all in Makro. 

Question; is it more expensive to "produce" a kilogramme of chicken or self-growing vegetables?  Go figure! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Certainly not on Foodland... suggest you venture to a market.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jasonr3255 said:

Food for thought

Yes indeed. Maybe due to transportation costs? Both vegetables are not grown on a commercial scale in Thailand, so have to be imported (as here in Cambodia). Australia was a big exporter but nowadays it is China and for reference:-

The Australian fresh broccoli and cauliflower industries have experienced significant displacement in export markets. Exports for both products have declined rapidly in recent years. Export volumes of have collectively fallen by 92 per cent since its peak in 2001.

China now produces 45 per cent of the world’s cauliflower and broccoli. Its production has grown 51 per cent since the year 2000.

https://ausveg.com.au/app/data/technical-insights/docs/VG05028.pdf

Incidentally, sometimes I can buy delicious Australian celery when in season.

• Like 1