On enjoying one’s work; why Rooster could never retire

rooster59

Really enjoying the weekly column. I used to read another regular Sunday blog but that's fallen by the wayside. The balance today was great, I enjoyed reading about your experiences in Antipodea.

Chapeau

Sincerely 

MORRIS

Olympic Bronze Medallist, LA 1984

Ex Bar Owner.

AUA?  As in, “Despite the crash of the Aussie dollar in 1985 I returned to Bangkok mid-year and started at AUA”

Lurgy?  As in “we can’t wait for all this lurgy looniness to end”

OK so I was able to look both up on google.   However.  

before you publish, may I suggest that you run your copy by someone who is other than from the U. K. ?  I love your writing and also look forward with bated breath for the forthcoming fare — only, please let someone clarify these ‘ethnicisms’; or at least provide a glossary?  Although the process of mining Google for traces of meaning is in itself sometimes a rewarding experience for me.  Really I love this weekly post, whether I can always make out what you are going on about or not.  LOL  Safe trip to Pattaya and back, all of you.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The angle of the ASEAN NOW story, was based on a comment he made about Vietnam era GI’s leaving a “legacy of sex culture”.

This was fair enough for a site for foreigners, but not Chuwit’s main focus. That was corruption among Thai-Chinese businessmen in cahoots with the police. 

Many forum posters overreacted as usual imagining that it was Thais blaming foreigners again. They can’t help themselves; they seem to loathe Thailand but funnily enough can’t leave her alone. Go figure!

In what world is a guy saying that foreigners left a legacy of sex culture not a Thai person blaming foreigners for said sex culture?

Anyone who objected the contents of that "article" was quite right to.  It was a blatant lie.

If anyone is imagining anything or overreacting, it's you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Marpa47 said:

AUA?  As in, “Despite the crash of the Aussie dollar in 1985 I returned to Bangkok mid-year and started at AUA”

Lurgy?  As in “we can’t wait for all this lurgy looniness to end”

OK so I was able to look both up on google.   However.  

before you publish, may I suggest that you run your copy by someone who is other than from the U. K. ?  I love your writing and also look forward with bated breath for the forthcoming fare — only, please let someone clarify these ‘ethnicisms’; or at least provide a glossary?  Although the process of mining Google for traces of meaning is in itself sometimes a rewarding experience for me.  Really I love this weekly post, whether I can always make out what you are going on about or not.  LOL  Safe trip to Pattaya and back, all of you.

Thanks. Yes there will be a glossary, not least of all for the Thai terms that I intend to use. However, your points are noted, cheers.

I never worked at AUA on Ratdamri Road but several friends did including one who became a manager there and who is no going for citizenship. I learned Thai there, or started to, in 1985 in a listening only program called the "natural approach". I spent several thousand Aussie bucks on lessons, one of my best ever investments. That and a linguagephone course I used to help me learn reading and writing.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

In what world is a guy saying that foreigners left a legacy of sex culture not a Thai person blaming foreigners for said sex culture?

Anyone who objected the contents of that "article" was quite right to.  It was a blatant lie.

If anyone is imagining anything or overreacting, it's you.

Chuwit used the term "moradok" and, as I tried to convey in the column, it was by no means the main point of his post on Facebook that concentrated on historical aspects of the industry and corruption. It was repackaged via Daily News for the ASEAN NOW audience as many stories are. I am sure Chuwit is aware of the history of the sex culture in Thailand over the centuries. He was really talking about how the GI's played a part in bringing Ap-Op-Nuat to the fore. Though I'll grant you that there is much denial about the origins and depth of the sex industry in Thailand that I'm sure I'll go into much greater detail in my book.

Thanks for reading.

14 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

He was really talking about how the GI's played a part in bringing Ap-Op-Nuat to the fore.

I see.

In that case, I suppose rather than saying "Vietnam era GI’s leaving a “legacy of sex culture”", which implies that a sex culture which wasn't present before was created and left by the GIs, Chuwit should have said something along the lines of "Vietnam era GIs left a new kind of sex culture aimed at foreign clientele in the form of Ap-Op-Nuat (or soapy massage)", which would clearly explain that GIs did not create a sex culture, rather they prompted a change in what was already there.

Probably Chuwit couldn't put it like that, as he has to toe the line and effectively deny the long established sex industry that caters to Thai men. 

Easy to see how people would end up objecting to the content of the article in these circumstances.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I see.

In that case, I suppose rather than saying "Vietnam era GI’s leaving a “legacy of sex culture”", which implies that a sex culture which wasn't present before was created and left by the GIs, Chuwit should have said something along the lines of "Vietnam era GIs left a new kind of sex culture aimed at foreign clientele in the form of Ap-Op-Nuat (or soapy massage)", which would clearly explain that GIs did not create a sex culture, rather they prompted a change in what was already there.

Probably Chuwit couldn't put it like that, as he has to toe the line and effectively deny the long established sex industry that caters to Thai men. 

Easy to see how people would end up objecting to the content of the article in these circumstances.

I met a retired US Army colonel in Pattaya some years ago who at that time, had lived in Thailand with his Thai wife since the 1980's. This fellow had served in the Vietnam War and also observed GI's on R&R in Thailand during the war. His observation was there wasn't much of a sex industry in Thailand before the war and how he detested it. I don't think he understood how the sex industry was well imbedded in Thailand before the war.

I agree with BangkokReady that there has been a sex industry in Thailand prior to the war and well after, that caters primarily to Thai men; it's just done more quietly and not with in your face soi venues the GI's helped to foster with the with blaring neon signs and skimpy dressed girls outside beckoning you to come in and be loved long time.

Having lived in a small town in Nakhon Pathom for many years, my TGF pointed out to me a few times the quiet small bars and nightclubs around town that featured imported Burmese girls for the local Thai men, most of whom were married. Aside from a few farang guys who taught at the local catholic seminary which also had schools, I was one of less than a full handful of farang in my town. So the guys patronizing these places I mention, were mostly, if not all, Thai guys.

• Like 2

OK as I got here in 1973 and was part of this USA GI horde got U beat...., left end December 179 days, with Hep A, Mono, seven malnutrition and dehydration 2 months hospital and returned 5 months later for a year  plus a month or so in 74-75 and ended up marrying a Thai chick in USA 1976...guess I got dibs...we here and we retired, 2 things I did right, enlisting in USAF and marrying a Thai chic.... My road was extremely colorful.... but the road goes on forever and the party never ends.......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I’m heading off to Pattaya with the family this coming week...It’ll be my first trip outside the Bangkok area since before Christmas. I haven’t been abroad or on a plane for three years. 

Learn something new everyday. 

Pattaya is a foreign country.

And it's so far from Bangkok, you take a plane there, not a bus. ????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Learn something new everyday. 

Pattaya is a foreign country.

And it's so far from Bangkok, you take a plane there, not a bus. ????

Yes. Of course. In 1985 it used to take me up to five hours to get from Bangkok to Sattahip by road. ????

36 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

Savings and rental properties mostly. 

Interesting.  And you accumulated them while teaching English in Thailand?  If I have the numbers right, you started when you were 24.  Did you just work as many hours as you could?  Or was there some external source of money, inheritance, etc.?

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Interesting.  And you accumulated them while teaching English in Thailand?  If I have the numbers right, you started when you were 24.  Did you just work as many hours as you could?  Or was there some external source of money, inheritance, etc.?

I was head of department at one of the best paid international schools in Bangkok. I saved more than half my salary for 15 years. I am. I won a million baht playing Scrabble too....

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 9:36 AM, rooster59 said:

Many forum posters overreacted as usual imagining that it was Thais blaming foreigners again. They can’t help themselves; they seem to loathe Thailand but funnily enough can’t leave her alone. Go figure!

They are paranoid.