Jump to content

Is a fully paid ticket really required before applying online for a tourist eVisa (from UK)?


Recommended Posts

Like the title says: Is a fully paid ticket really required (for a 67 y.o. UK passport holder) before applying online for a tourist eVisa (from UK)? It seems a bit cart before horse? I'm sure previously you would apply for the Visa which would grant you entry, then you could book travel at your convenience (within the Visa validity)?

TIA

Andrew

Edited by RetroGTAndrew
Forgot to mention my age, probably not relevant though!
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Well very few are going to do it that way around from any country. Visa could be declined for any amount of reasons or delays. People are simply not going to book a fully refundable flight direct from the airline at 2-3 times an agents fare

 

Just prior to typing that BA came in at £1869 economy fare (fully refundable direct from airline) as opposed to consolidated non refundable at £565

You have always been required to show inbound flight ticket when applying for tourist visa. 

Nothing new. 

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Well very few are going to do it that way around from any country. Visa could be declined for any amount of reasons or delays. People are simply not going to book a fully refundable flight direct from the airline at 2-3 times an agents fare

 

Just prior to typing that BA came in at £1869 economy fare (fully refundable direct from airline) as opposed to consolidated non refundable at £565

 

There's some airlines that  advertise "no change fees" for all their tickets including economy, like Qatar and Emirates. Make sure you book directly from the airline, the ticket may be slightly more expensive, but well worth it if you need to change.

 

Example:

Qatar

Heathrow - Phuket:

£510 from agency

£564 direct with airline

 

From Qatar's website:

 

snip.JPG.06ed14f4a8b86ec3ca98e0e57e0fec74.JPG

 

 

Double check the "no change fees" policy is still in force before you book your ticket 🙂

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You have always been required to show inbound flight ticket when applying for tourist visa. 

Nothing new. 

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that, wife is dual nationality Thai/UK and a few years ago her Thai passport had expired while she was in the UK and as she wanted to stay there for two months, she got a 60 day Visa and I'm fairly sure we bought the tickets after?.

Andrew

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Well very few are going to do it that way around from any country. Visa could be declined for any amount of reasons or delays. People are simply not going to book a fully refundable flight direct from the airline at 2-3 times an agents fare

 

Just prior to typing that BA came in at £1869 economy fare (fully refundable direct from airline) as opposed to consolidated non refundable at £565

Haha! Bargain price!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nkg said:

 

There's some airlines that  advertise "no change fees" for all their tickets including economy, like Qatar and Emirates. Make sure you book directly from the airline, the ticket may be slightly more expensive, but well worth it if you need to change.

 

Example:

Qatar

Heathrow - Phuket:

£510 from agency

£564 direct with airline

 

From Qatar's website:

 

snip.JPG.06ed14f4a8b86ec3ca98e0e57e0fec74.JPG

Double check the "no change fees" policy is still in force before you book your ticket 🙂

15 hours! Thanks but I travelled to Thailand via the sandpit (or should that be sandsh!t?) the first few times and it sucked! I'm no novice at international travel, in the late 90's I flew all over the world for work and quite frankly I'll fly direct or I'll be staying in the UK..............

Andrew

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am applying for a Non O-A visa using the e-visa website.

They required me to enter my flight schedule, but no download of a E-ticket (conformation) is required.

So you can change/book your actual flight at a later date.

 

TC.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@tomx2That's interesting, I wonder if they record the dates/times/airline schedule that you upload and would complain later if you don't arrive in accordance with those details? Also that's for an O-A Visa, it may be different for a tourist Visa.

Andrew

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

@tomx2That's interesting, I wonder if they record the dates/times/airline schedule that you upload and would complain later if you don't arrive in accordance with those details? Also that's for an O-A Visa, it may be different for a tourist Visa.

Andrew

At the times of the COE , an updated COE was easy to get. Airlines cancel flights, people get ill and cant fly on that date etc. 

We did when we changed our ticket to arrive in Thailand earlier and beat a deadline. 

We have not seen this new online system yet, but there must be a way to update travel erangnents and get updated QR code if things change.   

Edited by sirineou
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chivas said:

Well very few are going to do it that way around from any country. Visa could be declined for any amount of reasons or delays. People are simply not going to book a fully refundable flight direct from the airline at 2-3 times an agents fare

 

Just prior to typing that BA came in at £1869 economy fare (fully refundable direct from airline) as opposed to consolidated non refundable at £565

Their country, their rules. They want assurances and it so happens that a confirmed and paid booking is their choice of that assurance.

 

Alternatives are of course the nice freezing beaches in Newquay or Blackpool. Or "steerage" class to Lanzarote or Madeira. No, you won't need a return ticket upfront.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nkg said:

There's some airlines that  advertise "no change fees" for all their tickets including economy, like Qatar and Emirates.

Quite. I changed an Emirates ticket not long ago, the change was free but it cost me 800 baht in additional tax, Heathrow are putting the taxes up next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

15 hours! Thanks but I travelled to Thailand via the sandpit (or should that be sandsh!t?) the first few times and it sucked! I'm no novice at international travel, in the late 90's I flew all over the world for work and quite frankly I'll fly direct or I'll be staying in the UK..............

Andrew

At this point in time you will be struggling to get a direct flight, unless you want to risk Thai Airways.

There was never many to start with but BA are flying via Qater, EVA decided to give BKK a miss and not sure about Qantas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

 Heathrow are putting the taxes up next year.

 

It's been reported that Heathrow wanted to almost double their charges but the regulator trimmed back the increase.

 

The Guardian has reported that the Chancellor intends to substantially increase the APD for ultra long destinations, giving Singapore as an example of "ultra long", we will have to wait until Wednesday to see if there's any truth in that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

 

It's been reported that Heathrow wanted to almost double their charges but the regulator trimmed back the increase.

 

The Guardian has reported that the Chancellor intends to substantially increase the APD for ultra long destinations, giving Singapore as an example of "ultra long", we will have to wait until Wednesday to see if there's any truth in that. 

What happens in the budget may well be on top of the increase that has already been put in place.

My ticket was was moved from August this year to May next year, I couldn't use it because Dubai was red and I had to buy another. The tax was increased for Heathrow by 810 baht over and above the 5,260 baht that had already been charged. Total taxes and fees were 6,750 baht, Thai being 890 baht and UAE 600 baht, insignificant compared to Heathrow.

People who think that Thai policy will deter long haul tourists should broaden their outlook, every chance fuel will also come into the equation shortly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignore the people telling you that you have to book the flight before applying for the visa from the UK. All you need to do is do an online booking and stop before the payment stage where it shows your itinerary. Take a screenshot on your phone and submit that. 100's of people have done it and this is the advice on the Facebook help groups. I assure yoi it works as long as you show flight numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

At this point in time you will be struggling to get a direct flight, unless you want to risk Thai Airways.

Are there safety issues with Thai Airways that I should be aware of?  I've flown Thai Airways and Thai Smile and have no complaints with either service wise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, nkg said:

 

There's some airlines that  advertise "no change fees" for all their tickets including economy, like Qatar and Emirates. Make sure you book directly from the airline, the ticket may be slightly more expensive, but well worth it if you need to change.

 

Example:

Qatar

Heathrow - Phuket:

£510 from agency

£564 direct with airline

 

From Qatar's website:

 

snip.JPG.06ed14f4a8b86ec3ca98e0e57e0fec74.JPG

 

 

Double check the "no change fees" policy is still in force before you book your ticket 🙂

 

 

 

I almost always book direct with the airlines these days. Whether international or domestic. Often the fares are lower, changes are easier, and it is more convenient. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At one time, you could reserve a flight without booking and paying and this would get you through.

Sensible thing is to grant the visa and have the return ticket checked at the airport.

For info, a multi entry tourist visa (60 days) will cost you £150 in the UK. That is about 6,200 baht, which is more than the baht published price. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cape said:

For info, a multi entry tourist visa (60 days) will cost you £150 in the UK. That is about 6,200 baht, which is more than the baht published price. 

 

As far as i know the Thai embassy in London is not issuing multiple entry tourist visas (METV) at this time. 

It is not shown on this page. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Only a single entry is available for 60 pounds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Are there safety issues with Thai Airways that I should be aware of?  I've flown Thai Airways and Thai Smile and have no complaints with either service wise.

You and me both, used Thai many times over the years without complaint.

What I was referring to was the fact they are now in administration and there has been some talk of people not getting refunded when flights have been cancelled, more of a financial risk.

My preference is for a direct flight, used BA a bit but in 4 years had 3 major problems, booked with Emirates for a change and then the pandemic reared it's ugly head.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...