Thailand’s first COVID Delta Plus case not same as UK, 18 others found with Alpha Plus

snoop1130

000_1PD64D.jpeg

Photo by Handout / US Food and Drug Administration / AFP

The first COVID-19 Delta Plus case found in Thailand is the AY.1 variant, which is different from the AY.4.2 strain currently spreading in the United Kingdom. The Thai AY.1 patient has fully recovered, said Director-General of the Medical Sciences Department Dr. Supakit Sirilak, at a news conference today (Tuesday).

He disclosed that the department found one Delta Plus (AY.1) case, in a man arriving from Ayutthaya province at a field hospital in Kamphaeng Phet province in September, and 18 Alpha Plus cases, also in September, of which two were among prisoners in Chiang Mai and 16 cases were in Chanthaburi and Trat provinces.

All 16 Alpha Plus cases, including four Thais and 12 Cambodians, are workers in longan orchards in the two eastern provinces bordering Cambodia.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-first-covid-delta-plus-case-not-same-as-uk-18-others-found-with-alpha-plus/

Logo-top-.png
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

bordering Cambodia.

Good  to see those  borders  secured am sure  all  Cambodians  have been vaccinated, which is  odd when the UK visitors amongst other  who  have ben vaccinated  need 1  night quarnatine ( aka  NO QUARANTINE) and two pcr  tests one before  arrival one after, yes  it  all makes  sense

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Well in theory the more infectious the virus the less virulent it is likely to be....presumably based on the idea it is not killing its hosts so readily allowing it to spread more easily.

not always sometimes more  virulent and  more  deadly

• Like 1

I guess we now know why it's taking so long to come up with effective treatments for COVID as all the real Doctors are so busy on the wards with their patients ????

Hopefully one day they can get back to inventing new medicines in their spare time when there's less patients....

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Like 2

A post using a trolling image has been removed.

Posts attempting to link to an unapproved social media source (YouTube) have been removed, the replies were removed as well. 

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

.....and these are the mutated strains that they're telling us about. 

Who knows how many nasty hybrids have developed naturally - and their coming impact on the world. 

Appears that the most brilliant and diligent science can keep up with it. 

And with each combative development, the strains/variants become stronger and nastier. 

Our approach might be a bit naive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I am not whatever a "Covid Denier" is, or you think is. 

Covid is real. The statistics are real. 

You want to talk about risk assessments? 

Which is riskier: riding a motorcycle here or living your life where SARS-CoV-2 might (or might not) infect you? 

If you want to be in total fear all the time and wear two masks even though you are vaccinated and a face shield and gloves, more power to you; just don't please force your obsessions on everyone else. 

You are missing the point: there are people reading this forum who aren’t getting the jab because they believe that Covid isn’t a big deal. Posts like yours only reinforce their crazy beliefs.

My opinion is that fully vaccinated people don’t have to live in fear, but should wear face masks where required.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

You are not keeping up with current events.

it was just 2 months ago that Covid overwhelmed the hospital system in Thailand. There were no beds for Covid patients, and people were dying in their homes. Even people suffering non-Covid illnesses could not be treated. No other communicable disease has the capability of jamming up hospitals systems like Covid.

So, yeah, if you just compare numbers, the 4 million who died in the last year or so represent only an order of magnitude more deaths than from the flu. But the other effects of Covid put it in a different class, and much more dangerous.

now, if you want to believe that governments around the world are independently using Covid as a power grab, that’s up to you. But that belief doesn’t help you understand severe epidemics.

A perfectly valid point, and the exact reason I ask why governments seem to not be using the best strategy. If 85% of those who are "overwhelming hospitals" are of a specific demographic, and meanwhile the government is focusing its finite resources in other places, that does not seem very strategic. So, please, with your vast knowledge of "current events" and "severe epidemics", explain to me why the government is expending resources on vaccinating teenagers and adults in their 20's and 30's who are not overwhelming hospitals. Since they are still able to acquire the virus, and spread it, even if they are vaccinated, I will expect more than the "to save Grandma" excuse.

As for "So, yeah, if you just compare numbers, the 4 million who died in the last year or so represent only an order of magnitude more deaths than from the flu.", I believe this is why I specifically stated that COVID is definitely worse than influenza. Maybe my use of italics confused you.

And I never mentioned anything about "government power grabs". I specifically mentioned "vested interests". But I suppose that might be too vague of a concept.

• Sad 3

39 minutes ago, timendres said:

At the beginning of the pandemic, we did not know what we were up against. Initial reactions could be understood. But now we know. We know that the virus hospitalizes and kills a certain group that is most vulnerable. 

Yep. Now we know the most vulnerable are the unvaccinated. Maybe the best strategy is to lock them down until this is over.

Thanks for the idea.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, timendres said:

While COVID is definitely a more serious virus than influenza, one has to wonder why we did not shutdown the world every time a bad influenza season developed. Why were there no lockdowns? Why no vaccine mandates? It does make one wonder what "vested interests" are involved here.

Because Covid is definitely a more serious virus than influenza.

Your internet friends have been sending you particularly lame talking points.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Which is riskier: riding a motorcycle here or living your life where SARS-CoV-2 might (or might not) infect you? 

Well I have been doing the former for 8 or 9 x longer, so not really sure yet! Plus I went to the trouble of getting vaccinated for the latter!

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

.....and these are the mutated strains that they're telling us about. 

Who knows how many nasty hybrids have developed naturally - and their coming impact on the world. 

Appears that the most brilliant and diligent science can keep up with it. 

And with each combative development, the strains/variants become stronger and nastier. 

Our approach might be a bit naive.

Not quite that simple though, is it? There is a lot of research going on with the SARS viruses. With the Covid 19 they have only just recently found that the lipidation process involving host cell and Covid virus protein spikes could, at least partly, be responsible for mutations. Time limits on other reactions are also under research, so we are learning more.

• Like 1