Pheu Thai MP throws rice in Parliament to protest PM, minister’s absence

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

How can anyone possibly even break even at b5 per kg?

I'll bet government middle men are selling this abroad for far more and taking the spread

Doesn't all commercial rice have to be sold to government or is this just a guarantee???

I think that is the sticky rice price,the government will give you 11 baht for the 1st 15 ton if you meet the required criteria but that is not logistically possible for most farmers.

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Taking to the floor, he said that farmers gave him rice grains as a gesture of protest against its low price, currently 5 baht per kilogramme,

Maybe they should look at the whole rice dealings.

From what the farmers get from the millers, what the millers sell for and what price consumers pay in the shops.

Maybe someone is gouging as normal?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

How can anyone possibly even break even at b5 per kg?

Also take into account that the majority of rice farmers doesn't own the land they work, so they typically would only get half of that for themselves:  2½ baht.

Edited by Oxx
Fixed grammar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Pheu Thai Party MP for Chiang Rai, Pichet Chuamuangphan, was ordered by House Speaker Chuan Leekpai to clean the floor of the parliament chamber today (Thursday). He had thrown rice on the floor to protest Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit’s unavailability to respond to his question about low rice prices.

Of all food items thaksin’s vehicle should avoid drawing attention to and reminding all of their disastrous association with, I’d say rice is at the top of the list. 

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He had thrown rice on the floor to protest Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit’s unavailability to respond to his question about low rice prices.

Luckily it wasn't a dispute about low durian or jackfruit prices, as that could well have resulted in fatalities...

7 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Jasmine rice(good quality) in Makro 250 baht for 5 kilo's(50 baht/kilo)

A note to the wise.

Don't purchase rice by way of the Western-style supermarkets places - should be applied to most every type of food stuff. 

Many [mostly Farang] don't get it. Never have.

On 11/4/2021 at 6:19 PM, snoop1130 said:

Pheu Thai Party MP for Chiang Rai, Pichet Chuamuangphan, was ordered by House Speaker Chuan Leekpai to clean the floor of the parliament chamber today (Thursday). He had thrown rice on the floor

My understanding was.... the PT Party folks had a LOT of Thai rice left over from their former government's fake government-to-government rice deals with the Chinese. So I guess, they didn't mind throwing a bit around Parliament. ????