Tourism minister questions Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban

webfact

2 minutes ago, toolpush said:

Purachai Piemsombun , Thaksin's Interior Minister brought in this mandate circa 2001-2002 to supposedly cut down on school kids purchasing alcohol during school hours.

11 AM- 2 PM is during School hours though and alchol can be sold .

If they wanted to stop school kids buying alcohol during school hours , they would have made laws banning alcohol sales during school hours 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

11 AM- 2 PM is during School hours though and alchol can be sold .

If they wanted to stop school kids buying alcohol during school hours , they would have made laws banning alcohol sales during school hours 

I am not going to argue with what you or I think makes sense. I am simply passing on what I remember from the time. Purachai claimed it was to stop school kids from purchasing alcohol during school hours. Like you, it makes no sense to me either, but that was the stated reason. I remember it well. Us expats were left shaking our heads at the senselessness of it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

2-5 has been a thing for a long time, with shops. There is a loophole, if you're buying 10 litres or more, because of businesses needing it. So, next time you're o loout of booze at 14:45, you can just head around to 7/11 and buy 14 bottles of whisky, no problemo!????

That loophole changed in 2015 when even wholesale purchases during these hours were stopped.

Unfortunately, the education system does not have an effect on kids drinking alcohol and bans have always been the first choice for prevention. 

Moreover, the anti alcohol groups want a total ban because they also have no clue how to control the problem. 

Voting age people don't care about bans. They know where to buy.

This regulation was brought in by the first Taksin government on the basis that it would protect school children from being sold alcohol in convenience stores between leaving school and getting home. Yes, they really believed that would work. The real reason for Taksin doing this is  that it was rumoured his son was a drug addict and he, and his interior ministry wanted to use this rule as a way to make himself and his party popular with older, more conservative voters. 

It really should be scrapped, it is a stupid idea. Pointless if the shopkeepers are doing their job asking kids for proof of ID. While we are at it, we should also be reducing the age of drinking to 18 from 20. Would you believe you can join the army at 16 and go to war. be shot dead, but you can't go out for a beer. What a joke!!

Edited by rosetintedspecs
Add text
  • Like 1

...i was always told it was in place as deterrent to school age students when leaving school in the afternoons....of course mum 'n pop shops sell regardless of this restriction/voting/buddhist and other holidays. We had a restaurant with a licence to sell alcohol and had approval to buy limited alcohol from Makro any time, except Chang Beer..not sure why.

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

Unfortunately, the education system does not have an effect on kids drinking alcohol and bans have always been the first choice for prevention. 

Moreover, the anti alcohol groups want a total ban because they also have no clue how to control the problem. 

Voting age people don't care about bans. They know where to buy.

Is there really such a problem with Thai kids and alcohol ?

I don't ever recall seeing kids drinking 

• Like 2

Well, it took 'em 15 years to figure that one out.

A restaurateur is where between 11am-2pm and after 5pm-midnight?
Shops with VAT bills sell only during these times.
Distributors dont deliver below a minimum amount of, say, 8 - 10 cases of beer. Wholesale operators (i.e. Makro) dont deliver alcohol either. 

Result is, that the restaurateur is using the Mom & Pop shop to deliver, without VAT receipt, the restaurateur cooks the books as he - officially - never bought the booze.

The rest is history, over this time span billions of Thai Baht were "lost" in transition. Stupidity in its finest form.  

4 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

In 2008 the law came with the 300 meter zone around schools. In 2015, the sales times were also restricted from 2pm to 5pm, nationwide, even on weekends, regardless of whether there is a school nearby or not. Even Pipat cannot think of any reasons for this.

Yes, some alcohol law from 2008:

http://thailawforum.com/laws/Alcoholic 2551.pdf

BUT: I was puzzled by 2015 for the sales times.

Was sure that this existed earlier. Not invented after the coup!

Found this article from 2013 e.g.:

https://tastythailand.com/when-can-you-buy-alcohol-in-thailand-not-between-2-5pm-or-buddhist-holidays-daily-photo/

Now waiting for someone to say: Thaksin is the culprit :tongue:

5 hours ago, blackcab said:
5 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

There is a school on Sukhumvit Soi 4 in Bangkok.

"Under the amended Act, alcohol may not be sold “within 300 meters of the ‘fence’ of universities and colleges, both public and private. Lower schools are not included in the ban.” 

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And three of them within walking distance, 50 to 150 meters, to the 7-11 located behind the Q House on Sathon Thai Road

Under the amended Act, alcohol may not be sold “within 300 meters of the ‘fence’ of universities and colleges, both public and private. Lower schools are not included in the ban.” 

32 minutes ago, madmitch said:

That loophole changed in 2015 when even wholesale purchases during these hours were stopped.

Get an alcohol licence from your local amphur  (330bt) and then you can buy 10+litres of alcohol at Makro at any time they are open (apart from specific no booze days).       

26 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Is there really such a problem with Thai kids and alcohol ?

I don't ever recall seeing kids drinking 

Not much to do with kids drinking, imo. Seems to be more of a reaction to scapegoat alcohol for the horrendous road carnage that puts Thailand under the spotlight internationally. Nobody can be arsed to actually enforce traffic (and other) rules here, so hey, lets partly-ban alcohol..

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, some alcohol law from 2008:

http://thailawforum.com/laws/Alcoholic 2551.pdf

BUT: I was puzzled by 2015 for the sales times.

Was sure that this existed earlier. Not invented after the coup!

Found this article from 2013 e.g.:

https://tastythailand.com/when-can-you-buy-alcohol-in-thailand-not-between-2-5pm-or-buddhist-holidays-daily-photo/

Now waiting for someone to say: Thaksin is the culprit :tongue:

Interesting.

This article is from 17 May 2013

But in the Text they talk about 2015. 

"Why? Because the government made these five Buddhist holidays as ‘Alcohol-free days’ back in 2015, and that has not changed since then."